• Jul 23rd, 2017 9:42 pm
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
zod wrote:
Dec 26th, 2015 1:19 am
I felt season 9 was a step in the right direction, but I still felt it was hit and miss (I thought the first half of the season was better than the back half).

That being said the Christmas special was really good. Probably the best Christmas special since the very first one.
Was it actually a Christmas special? Other than the setting for the closing scenes? Seemed like a very atheistic "Christmas" to me.

I can only assume some here had a crush on Capaldi long before he took on this role, because I'm really not getting into it.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23851 posts
5060 upvotes
GTHA
Doctor Who gets lengthy sabbatical as showrunner Steven Moffat quits
Broadchurch creator and regular Torchwood writer tapped for top timey-wimey job.
The BBC, which fiendishly buried this news late on Friday night in the hope that no-one would notice, has promised a Christmas Day special, but that will be the first and only time a new episode of the much-loved show will appear on the TV this year.
Whovians, will you be rewatching any of the previous seasons before season 10?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
tk1000 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 8:41 pm
Doctor Who gets lengthy sabbatical as showrunner Steven Moffat quits
Broadchurch creator and regular Torchwood writer tapped for top timey-wimey job.

Whovians, will you be rewatching any of the previous seasons before season 10?
So Moffat doesn't get one more season to kill the show completely? Or rather, he didn't take the opportunity? Meanwhile Capaldi gets another year closer to the grave... Maybe he should quit too. Just remember to get the regeneration scene shot first.

As for the replacement, "Broadchurch creator and regular Torchwood writer" - sounds depressing. Keep looking BBC, I'm sure you can find somebody better. Or hand the franchise over to a network with fresh ideas. The Yanks did a better job with that final Torchwood miniseries than the BBC managed with the earlier seasons. There was an actual storyline, not just deep, dark depression. (Which was odd, considering how upbeat Captain Jack himself usually was).
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23851 posts
5060 upvotes
GTHA
Tornado F2 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2016 10:54 pm
So Moffat doesn't get one more season to kill the show completely? Or rather, he didn't take the opportunity?
Moffat's final season will air in spring of 2017. Chibnall takes over the showrunner duties in 2018.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
tk1000 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2016 12:26 am
Moffat's final season will air in spring of 2017. Chibnall takes over the showrunner duties in 2018.
Why would a Moffat season air in 2017 if he has already quit NOW? That's the impression your link title gives - that he has already gone.

As for timey-wimey, maybe Rory's new show "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" will capture the Whovian audience in the meantime, or at least a fair chunk. I wouldn't be overly surprised. They may return with the next Doctor, if there is one.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7102 posts
658 upvotes
Victoria
Tornado F2 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2016 3:56 pm
Why would a Moffat season air in 2017 if he has already quit NOW? That's the impression your link title gives - that he has already gone.

As for timey-wimey, maybe Rory's new show "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" will capture the Whovian audience in the meantime, or at least a fair chunk. I wouldn't be overly surprised. They may return with the next Doctor, if there is one.
They did the same thing when Russell T. Davies left. It was known it was his last season before it finished filming/airing. Thing is, looking back on it, Russell T. Davis was pretty damn good. Moffat's made some really good stuff, but I don't think is era has been as consistent as Davies's. Then again Davies left after 4 seasons.. got out before he went stale.
May 28, 2012
9317 posts
1719 upvotes
Saskatoon
I used to look forward to every new show and I haven't felt that way at all with the last series, even though I am beginning to like Capaldi more.

I still have a couple episodes to watch but I'm not in any rush. With another long gap, it's going to take a real effort to bring Dr Who back to its former glory, imo.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Mars2012 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2016 9:43 pm
I used to look forward to every new show and I haven't felt that way at all with the last series, even though I am beginning to like Capaldi more.

I still have a couple episodes to watch but I'm not in any rush. With another long gap, it's going to take a real effort to bring Dr Who back to its former glory, imo.
I don't mind Capaldi himself, but he and the last two seasons have failed to capture me. It may well be down to the material he has to work with, but it really does seem that the show has lost its way, and quite possibly its audience. Matt Smith lost older viewers apparently, while Capaldi is losing the younger remnant. Shame as this is a show I watched as a kid, and was really enjoying for the first 6 or 7 seasons of the current run. Up to that point we saw a lot of characters returning from time to time, but the "old cast" are no longer seen. Since then, we have had will-they-never leave Rory and Amy, and then a perhaps-too-long run with Clara and, for a while, her what's-the-point-of-this-character BF, but no real connection to the earlier episodes, other than River's recent appearance. It's almost like the earlier seasons and the more recent ones were different shows, with some clear division separating the older cast from the more recent producers and directors. In fact looking into it, it seems the show enjoyed much of its success under producer Phil Collinson. Ironically, he later became producer of Coronation Street and succeeded in throwing it off balance and driving its viewers away. Seems like it's a difficult task putting the right people with the right shows. Hopefully they've chosen the right person to take over Doctor Who, though I'm not personally convinced they have.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
jenviea wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 3:01 pm
New companion announced
RIP career of Pearl Mackie.

If that still image is anything to go by.

And RIP Doctor Who. :(
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23851 posts
5060 upvotes
GTHA
DOCTOR WHO SEASON 10 - Returns This Spring on BBC America