• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 12:08 pm
Jun 30, 2009
524 posts
57 upvotes
Vancouver
MrDisco wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 2:32 pm
it's hardly being shoved in any one's faces. No one had an issue with Rory and Amy and their relationship, so similarly we shouldn't have a big problem with how Bill's character develops. It's all secondary (perhaps even tertiary) to the main storyline.
And there was Jack Harkness, too. He was a polysexual from the future that hit more on guys than girls, I think. And there was that lesbian couple - the Veiled Lady and her maid. None of those were really shoved in your face nor was there a heavy focus on it. If you look at the series: Rose was in love with the Doctor, then paired off with the 10th Doctor clone, Rose's mom paired off with her ex's alternate, Mickey paired off with Martha Jones, Donna married a dude twice (once in the Library and once after leaving), there was Amy and Rory, River married the 11th Doctor, Clara paired off with that guy after quasi-pining after the Doc, and the 10th Doctor married Queen Elizabeth I and almost had a thing with that French woman. Like Disco said, if no one had a problem with those relationships, what should it matter if/when this new girl hooks up with someone? It's not like her sexuality will define her character. If it does, then that's just poor writing.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1380 posts
99 upvotes
Mississauga
Looking forward to it. Hopefully, with improved storylines.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7438 posts
762 upvotes
Victoria
I hope the new Doctor is good and the next season is good.

My personal thoughts are that the show has already declined. We've been able to repeat watch and thoroughly enjoy rewatching Series 1 - 6. Starting in Matt Smith's final season it felt like the show went on a decline and it carried onto through the entire Capaldi run. Even this season I kind of dug the first few episodes, didn't mind Bill as a companion, but I kind of lost interest again as the season progressed :(

At this point if the show carried on the way it did we were already losing interest, so why not try something new?

It's a big move. The show's already on the decline and it seems like something that's polarized the fanbase of Doctor Who. Usually polarization doesn't work when your trying to get viewers, because when half the people love it, and half the people hate it, then you lose half.

Hopefully the new showrunner and actress can pull it off. The best case scenario is the show gets back some steam that it lost. Medium case scenario is that it doesn't really work out and they regenerate after a season. Worse case scenario is that the division of the Doctor Who fan base causes the ratings to plunge and the show gets put on hiatus or is cancelled :(
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14214 posts
3143 upvotes
Done for me now. I've been with the franchise since the mid 1970s. Nope. If it's going to be like Stephen Mofatt and just change things with no explanation as to why, then I have other things to watch...
Jul 16, 2017
26 posts
1 upvote
Winnipeg, MB
Surprised it took this long actually. Can't wait for the new season!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7189 posts
981 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Can't wait. I enjoyed the last few seasons (and the ones before it!). The choice for the next doctor was somewhat expected considering the change in writer and connection to Broadchurch. Only hope she can pull it off.
Banned
Apr 16, 2017
22 posts
1 upvote
I dont mind the doctor being a woman. I just hope that the writers dont ruin the show
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7438 posts
762 upvotes
Victoria
JackHarkness wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 10:14 am
I dont mind the doctor being a woman. I just hope that the writers dont ruin the show
Yah they've got two things to do. The first is that the writing on the past few seasons has been mostly subpar, plus they're trying to introduce the first female doctor. To be successful they really need to have good stories (or the new actor needs to pull an eccleston and be so awesome it makes people not notice the so/so scripts)... They both need to sell a female doctor and bring fun back to the show.
Banned
Apr 16, 2017
22 posts
1 upvote
zod wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 12:58 pm
Yah they've got two things to do. The first is that the writing on the past few seasons has been mostly subpar, plus they're trying to introduce the first female doctor. To be successful they really need to have good stories (or the new actor needs to pull an eccleston and be so awesome it makes people not notice the so/so scripts)... They both need to sell a female doctor and bring fun back to the show.
Couldn't agree with you more. Capaldi wasn't a bad doctor but the fun element of the stories took a serious nose dive after he became the doctor. Hope she has better luck with the writers
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8707 posts
1845 upvotes
Toronto
I think I like the hoodie better