None
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA

Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 sedans will soon be phased out

from http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/27/dodg ... confirmed/
Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne outlined an update to the company's five-year business plan Wednesday, and among the changes, the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 sedans will soon be phased out. The company's presentation to investors states that the "market shift from cars to trucks and UVs [utility vehicles is] now seen as permanent shift in demand," and FCA wants to respond as quickly as possible.

Killing the 200 and Dart will allow FCA to build more Jeep and Ram models at the Sterling Heights, MI, and Belvidere, IL, plants where the sedans were produced. We already knew FCA was planning to shift 200 and Dart production to Mexico, to free up the Sterling Heights facility for Ram 1500 production, and the Belivdere site for Jeep Cherokee output. The Cherokee will move from its current home in Toledo, OH, to allow for increased Wrangler production.

It's no shock that FCA wants to shift its focus to crossovers and trucks. In December 2015, for example, combined sales of the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 were 15,310. The Jeep Cherokee, which uses the same platform as the Dart and 200, outsold both models combined, with 24,049 sales.

Both the Dart and 200 had troubles from the beginning. Marchionne recently blamed designers for the 200 not receiving a Consumer Reports 'recommended' rating, and the Dart was one of the lowest-scoring cars in a CR reliability study.
Were these vehicles on anyone's shopping list?
22 replies
Nov 28, 2011
888 posts
399 upvotes
Markham
tk1000 wrote:
Were these vehicles on anyone's shopping list?
Hahahahaha

Oh tk1000.. Funny guy
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Not going to be missed.
Good marketing attempt with Brady on the Dart...but that's all she wrote.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7090 upvotes
Mississauga
Of course they're going to shift production to bigger vehicles: they generate more profit.

GM doesn't make much money selling Sparks. It's the Silverados and Sierras that ooze gravy.
Sep 29, 2014
782 posts
565 upvotes
GTA
Why does this feel like history repeating itself ?

While I can understand their arguments in getting rid of the Dart and the 200, I hope they remain diversified enough so that when/if oil goes back up they won't be asking for another government handout.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
Why would they discontinue the only cars that compete against the Civic and Accord?
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14474 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
The styling of the the 200 is quite excellent. A really really good looking vehicle. But to get people back buying their brand they need to go all out on the warranty and quality control to give people the assurance they aren't buying a bunch of headaches. It's a total cop out that everything has shifted to CUV SUV etc. Its the terrible reliability that follows FCA cars around like an anchor...and no Fiddilstix coming on here bashing Toyota and telling us all cars are reliable these days doesn't change anything. By phasing these out it's like they don't even want to deal with the quality problem just phase it out and make something else where people look past the quality issues (Jeep). Pathetic.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
This is sad. I was hoping to see the Dart SRT.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26013 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
Can't say I'm surprised. That troublesome ZF 9-speed didn't exactly help sales numbers...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2004
5148 posts
2194 upvotes
Mississauga
Soon we will be pissed off by beige rav4s that go slow and block views than corollas...or both.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
2294 posts
721 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Like the 200 style myself but the price tag is too steep.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2221 upvotes
Same ol' same ol'.

POS cars made by a POS company. What came before these cars? Same thing. And before those? Same thing. AND BEFORE THOSE? Same thing. They just don't get it and they never will.

Feel bad for all the people who actually ate the marketing BS and actually purchased one of these piles.

Would have been better off with a Cavalier.
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
Both cars actually look good, but unfortunately both cars have their share of problems. The Dart 1.4 turbo often requires turbo replacements for instance, just a few days ago one of our Dart Limiteds had an electrical fault with regards to the wipers. The 200 uses that 9-speed automatic which still is prone to outright failing, and I've already had to deal with a few that had premature battery failure. They're an improvement over the Daimler era Chryslers, where they have far better interiors and the problems are not nearly as frequent. Still, considering all the other automakers out there, even if you love American automakers you're just so much better off with either GM or Ford. You almost have to be a Mopar fan to accept potential unreliability at MSRP.

If you can get them really really cheaply, that would compensate for some of the problems. There are worse cars out there including some Chryslers still currently in the lineup like the terrible Journey or the bloody awful Compass/Patriot. Getting a reliable Chrysler is possible, contrast to the Daimler era where a reliable Chrysler was a myth.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
The explosion of cuvs are giving the traditional sedan a hard time. More people are buying them and Sergio is making a right decision. I expect the Dart and 200 to be replaced with cuvs.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2930 posts
621 upvotes
Ajax
The pricing models killed both lines. The dart is massively over priced and whomever designed it is an idiot. How do you have a manual transmission that when you shift gears your elbow hits the armrest!
Jul 18, 2015
277 posts
92 upvotes
Petawawa, ON
I drive a 2013 Dart.... I'm going to be upgrading to an SUV later on.
I LOVE the gas milage on the car, and the nice touch screen.

That being said, the Dart is SLOW for acceleration with the weight of the body + small 2.0L engine. I'm not going to miss the constant rattles, loud road noise and a few other complaints.
I'm also surprised that FCA has done NOTHING to rectify the same complaints that haunt each year's models. Just one example is the 1.4T....
Take a look here: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Dart/

I have decided, and this is my own personal opinion; I will NOT be buying another domestic, for these reasons. I'd rather pay $10K more for a Toyota/Honda and know that it will last.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2643 posts
733 upvotes
Ottawa
What I never understood about American car makers is why they keep killing models and replacing them with brand new ones. Anyone know why?

Yes yes I know about the vette.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14474 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
AtlsNBP wrote: What I never understood about American car makers is why they keep killing models and replacing them with brand new ones. Anyone know why?

It's simple. By axing a model and introducing a new one all the time..they are trying to escape the negative branding due to the litany of problems with the name. Why Accord, Camry, 3 Series don't is that the model name carries brand value. FCA is trying to escape the brand issues with Caravan also... It's also an issue because of the negative resale value that occurs once the unreliable badge is earned then they get rid of the model and when you go to resell no one knows if they can get parts so resale plummets. So now it's cost you just as much per year as a name plate known for reliability.

Fiddlesticks will come on here and bash Accord and Camry yet FCA is cutting and running in the face of everything he tries to sell about all cars being reliable but Toyota is outdated garbage. How's the resale on the 200 now that Sergio basically admitted it's junk?. Good looking but junk?

Getting out of the sedan or saloon market flies in the face of people wanting a smaller car, with a lower centre of gravity (better handling) and fuel efficiency. Ford has made a better effort at keeping the Focus as one of their main vehicles.

I would have preferred FCA made a stand and commit to making the most reliable, nimble and efficient small car they can in an attempt to capture some long term value, instead by these moves they appear to be just going for the easy money and milking the remaining profits.
Dec 28, 2009
774 posts
260 upvotes
I think the sales numbers on Dart and 200 were pretty bad to begin with. I can see it as a big loss for FCA.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
AtlsNBP wrote: What I never understood about American car makers is why they keep killing models and replacing them with brand new ones. Anyone know why?

The old ones did not garner a good reputation. By replacing it with a new model, they start over. Even the Japanese do it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.