• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 1:31 am
[OP]
Nov 10, 2011
12 posts
Saint-Laurent-Ile-d'…

Dodge Grand Caravan conversion

Hi!

I own a Grand Caravan and I'm starting to look into converting it for camping. In most vanlife video and sites, owner seem to have done every modifications by themselves. Before starting this project, I would like to compare some alternative to a complete DIY conversion. Does anyone know of companies in Quebec that could help with some of the more tricky stuff (gaz, heating and solar installation).

Thanks
8 replies
Feb 10, 2010
724 posts
192 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Hi, Dont get me wrong as a owner of a Dodge Grand Caravan I love the idea but is not this van too small for this kind of project?

I know is not what you looking for but What I do when I am going car camping with the family is to set up a tent and leave inside all the backpacks etc then we put all the seats down and set up the air matress inside the Van we left half windows open with a mesh so the insects dont go inside and we are good for the night.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
3948 posts
261 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I like this!!!

[OP]
Nov 10, 2011
12 posts
Saint-Laurent-Ile-d'…
Hi!

A little bit more info on my situation. I work from home on a monthly schedule. Taking a real continuous 3 weeks off is not an option since there is no one to replace me to meet the deadlines.

I'm currently single so I don't think I really need that much space. Conversion is probably not the right term. It's more an adaptation. I don't need a shower inside the van or a real kitchen area. I don't plan on installing hardwood floors, cool looking paneling and a whole set of cabinets. If it was only for a week in summer, I would probably go your way a only trow a matress down but I would like to be able to take a whole month in january or february 2019 and go on a road trip in the US and work on the road.

My "I absolutly need this" list is relativly small:
  • a single bed
  • a passenger car seat on a swivel to create a small work area for my laptop
  • some heating installation
Thanks for your input.
Jul 19, 2014
990 posts
183 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
You may want to check with your insurer , most do not like any modifications . For heat a gas heater ,Webasto or Eberspacher heater could suit your needs .
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3599 posts
641 upvotes
Alberta
ToDealHunter wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 2:11 pm
Hi, Dont get me wrong as a owner of a Dodge Grand Caravan I love the idea but is not this van too small for this kind of project?

I know is not what you looking for but What I do when I am going car camping with the family is to set up a tent and leave inside all the backpacks etc then we put all the seats down and set up the air matress inside the Van we left half windows open with a mesh so the insects dont go inside and we are good for the night.
This is odd ^^^^. We have a Honda Odyssey and when we go car camping we park at our campsite and set up a 6 person tent near the van. We leave everything in the Odyssey and set up the mattresses in the tent and sleep in there. We have a North Face Trailhead 6 tent and camped in Jasper 2 years ago and it poured rain for 3 days. Never got a single drop of rain/water inside the tent. Never even considered sleeping inside the van or leaving for home.
Aug 10, 2015
218 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:14 pm
This is odd ^^^^. We have a Honda Odyssey and when we go car camping we park at our campsite and set up a 6 person tent near the van. We leave everything in the Odyssey and set up the mattresses in the tent and sleep in there. We have a North Face Trailhead 6 tent and camped in Jasper 2 years ago and it poured rain for 3 days. Never got a single drop of rain/water inside the tent. Never even considered sleeping inside the van or leaving for home.
Don't want to hijack this thread but I agree ^. I am a avid camper and always sleep in a tent. Drive all the way to a campsite just to sleep in the car/van i've been driving in the whole time...
Feb 10, 2010
724 posts
192 upvotes
Ajax, ON
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:14 pm
viiveyy wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 11:29 pm
Don't want to hijack this thread but I agree ^. I am a avid camper and always sleep in a tent. Drive all the way to a campsite just to sleep in the car/van i've been driving in the whole time...
I am a avid backpacker/camper too and my two Hilleberg tents are supose to be the best of the crop.

However two years ago on a car camping trip a bad weather caught us and it was a mama bear around the area so we decided to sleep in the Van for safety, we slept so cozy and comfortable that now we prefer this sleeping configuration.
Jun 1, 2008
593 posts
129 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've seen a lot of people using GMC Savannas and Chevy Expresses as camping vans. They seem easier to work with due to the lack of interior paneling in its cargo form.