Does Air Travel Cause Global Warming?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2019 10:21 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23686 posts
2882 upvotes
Montreal
MexiCanuck wrote: Reality is much more complicated that the above simple statement. In fact, the opposite is often true. The distance travelled, the number of passengers in a plane or car, type of car, etc. contribute to the calculations.

https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/ ... s-driving/

Of course, driving with three or four passengers in a BEV would be far, far preferable.
My understanding is that planes burn the most fuel during takeoff and the least during cruising at constant speed. So for short trips where take off and landing are more important, then cars are less CO2 intensive. But I guess on trips longer than a few hours, planes come out ahead.

But that's an irrelevant discussion, imho. Beyond a certain distance, land travel is just not practical.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2018
1009 posts
48 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote: What terrible sacrifices for the most privileged generation in the history of homo sapiens to make in order to give future generations a planet that is merely livable.

Addressing climate change will be complex. It will involve reducing or eliminating unsustainable activities, modifying activities that are damaging but otherwise desirable, and developing technologies to permit the continuation of activities that are damaging but necessary.
Would adopting Cuba's system of government be the solution?
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3440 posts
166 upvotes
GTA
At the end of the day we are all just slaves to the lizard people.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17355 posts
818 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Honestly, "traveling" and "tourism" is so important to the global economy (esp. a number of the smaller developing countries) I can't see the Green movement shooting its own foot by advocating for a 25% tax on air travel (for example) to discourage people from taking plane trips.

It's one thing for the price of gas to increase by a small amount, or to encourage people to buy "cool" electric cars like Teslas, it's another thing entirely to make such widespread changes to the economy which would essentially put tens of millions out of work (with no replacement industry) and deny people the chance to travel and "see the world" (or just hang out at a beach/pool).
Wash your hands. Don't touch your face. Even if you're wearing a mask.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
7489 posts
1952 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
RSole wrote: Suzuki, Gore and other climate change hypocrites never mention airplanes as possible contributors to climate change because they would never take the train or a bus to their many profitable talk destinations.
I don't know how much, if at all, you follow the writings and appearances of Suzuki but I have heard him openly discuss this dilemma. In a recent interview I heard he spoke about the difficulty of trying to do speaking engagements by video and that many times organizers advise him that he will not be able to reach as many people unless he attends in person.

He also discusses the issue in this National Post article.
What do you say to critics who lambaste you for flying around the world?

Well, we’re not living the way we’re going to have to live. And there’s no question that there are contradictions. I just flew in from Japan. And flying is a very carbon-intensive activity. For almost 10 years now, I have offset my carbon emissions by paying these gold-standard offsets where I pay for every mile I fly, drive or take a train. I contribute to putting green energy in continents like Africa. This is just to compensate for what I’ve put out – it doesn’t mean I’ve reduced my footprint. I’ve just tried to equal that in green energy. I’m supporting that by paying for it. But right now, we don’t have alternatives, and I think the important thing is to spread the information, and to inform people. And unfortunately, the only way I can do that now is by flying.

Give me a recent example of an interaction with someone who disagreed with you.

I was in Calgary at the airport, taking a leak. This guy pulls up at the next urinal, and says, ‘I hope you flew in on a solar-powered plane, otherwise you’re a g–damn hypocrite!’ And I say, ‘Look, we haven’t got the infrastructure to enable people to live the way we’re going to have to live. And I’m busy trying to urge that we get going, so that we have the alternatives that are not emission-intensive.’
If you are interested in reducing the adverse effect of your flying, there are two websites related to this.

https://www.less.ca/en-ca/

http://www.carbonzero.ca/calculate

I have found them easy to use.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
7489 posts
1952 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Poutsounia wrote: Would adopting Cuba's system of government be the solution?
I don't think so. Regardless of political system, human's have embraced the convenience of fossil fuels. I think the changes we need are far more fundamental than just going from one system of fossil fuel dependency to a different system that includes fossil fuel dependency.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Mar 11, 2019
288 posts
161 upvotes
Water vapor stays in the atmosphere for around 9 days. CO2 is estimated at 30-90 years with some portions much longer. Same with other GHG they stay in the atmosphere much longer. Electric trains would be a better option vs flight.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23686 posts
2882 upvotes
Montreal
jintau wrote: Water vapor stays in the atmosphere for around 9 days. CO2 is estimated at 30-90 years with some portions much longer. Same with other GHG they stay in the atmosphere much longer. Electric trains would be a better option vs flight.
Continental travel only. Transcontinental becomes a bit problematic.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2018
1009 posts
48 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote: I don't think so. Regardless of political system, human's have embraced the convenience of fossil fuels. I think the changes we need are far more fundamental than just going from one system of fossil fuel dependency to a different system that includes fossil fuel dependency.
Do you believe that taxing people's (and company's) fuel consumption will resolve the issue? The Cubans seem to have it right. Their system world wide would certainly drastically reduce carbon emissions.
Aug 4, 2003
672 posts
64 upvotes
Edmonton
We should be shutting down the aeroplace and car industry in Canada. Only way to stop pollution.
Temp. Banned
Jul 23, 2007
2419 posts
1189 upvotes
Vancouver
Will world leader ban flying around?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5941 posts
2403 upvotes
Aurora
I say we go back to stone-age hunting and gathering and just hope that farts don't warm up the climate too much.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16726 posts
1649 upvotes
Thornhill
DiceMan wrote: I say we go back to stone-age hunting and gathering and just hope that farts don't warm up the climate too much.
don't eat too many brontosauruses... their farts release methane which screws up the ozone.

and don't use fires to cook your food - use a microwave

and don't use torches, use LEDs running on rechargeable batteries.

haha

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Penalty Box
Oct 14, 2017
516 posts
369 upvotes
Toronto
Human caused global warming is a fraud. Climate change is a religion.