Off Topic

Does Air Travel Cause Global Warming?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2019 10:21 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
2701 posts
1532 upvotes
Just a general comment - while climate change most definitely is real and it is caused by human activity (at the rate the temperatures are increasing) (anyone doubting or denying that is either a brainwashed moron incapable for thinking for himself or a selfish @sshole) - we're at the point of no return. We've known about this for decades and we're still squabbling about if it's real or not. GHG have been increasing (astronomically by the US and China - the biggest emitters), not decreasing despite the climate science. As a society we don't have the will or desire to change because people who can make a difference (affluent and powerful people) aren't yet affect and thus aren't doing anything about it (as a united front, there are individual companies/people of course but not enough to make a difference). Right now it's mostly affecting the vulnerable and indigent - they don't matter to society so it's business as usual. Only when people who matter are affected (greater food and water insecurity) then we'll start to see real movement but by then it will be too late. These discussion are largely useless - most Canadians are quite wasteful and ignorant - inevitably they bring up taxes and snowflakes :rollseyes"
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2140 posts
1047 upvotes
Mississauga
Ban cars, ban air travel, ban all new pipelines, dismantle all existing ones. Ban, ban, ban. What green terrorists do not understand is the simple fact that all human development comes at some sort of environment cost. End of the day, we are all products of earth, we consume products of earth. Everything has an environmental cost. The only way we can eliminate human factor to climate change is by eliminating most of us, with the remaining few going back to good old days of roaming naked and hunting for food.

A sensible approach to address climate change will be multifaceted, trying to tackle the challenge from different angles.
And it will also include a general acceptance that we will never eliminate our contribution to climate change, we can only reduce and balance our impact, and try to offset it somehow.
But such acceptance and sensibilities do not make for newsworthy and viral theatrics on street.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1859 posts
1296 upvotes
Canada
Yes, now lets march off the streets and do mass protests.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
2701 posts
1532 upvotes
@Pete_Coach glad you had the sense to delete that before anyone else saw your post and you made a complete fool of yourself ...but I saw it lol
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34324 posts
8147 upvotes
Ottawa
hierophant wrote: @Pete_Coach glad you had the sense to delete that before anyone else saw your post and you made a complete fool of yourself ...but I saw it lol
Yeah, I read it, posted it then decided to fact check it. Should have done it in reverse. :)
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
2701 posts
1532 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Yeah, I read it, posted it then decided to fact check it. Should have done it in reverse. :)
Good of you own it but I still can't seem to understand why you would dispute what 97% of scientists and academics who have been studying this for decades and have all come to the same conclusion that indeed the climate change is real and caused by human activity with ONE non-credible source? What possibly could your reason for doing that? This part of the problem why we can't even make progress on reducing GHG - wasting so much time disregarding and disputing the evidence because we don't want to change our selfish ways.

This also makes me realize how pointless it is to "discuss" issues on this forum when all people do is just do a quick search to find one article that backs up their position without knowing anything about the topic just so they can seem smart. smh
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34324 posts
8147 upvotes
Ottawa
hierophant wrote: Good of you own it but I still can't seem to understand why you would dispute what 97% of scientists and academics who have been studying this for decades and have all come to the same conclusion that indeed the climate change is real and caused by human activity with ONE non-credible source? What possibly could your reason for doing that? This part of the problem why we can't even make progress on reducing GHG - wasting so much time disregarding and disputing the evidence because we don't want to change our selfish ways.

This also makes me realize how pointless it is to "discuss" issues on this forum when all people do is just do a quick search to find one article that backs up their position without knowing anything about the topic just so they can seem smart. smh
What ever makes you think I dispute it?
I am very open to all aspects of every debate. I read both sides as there is always 2 sides to every story. I think that there valid points on both sides of every issue and from them I can make a decision.
I am not evangelistic about anything and distrust people that are. Your attempt to "convert" me is exactly what I am talking about. You do not know what I think about climate change. Had you just stopped with your first post to me and accepted my explanation, you would have had some credibility but this post lessens my respect for you. I do not need to be "converted" nor do I need to be lectured by you about what others are like.
This is a free and open forum and people of all sides debate them and do not need to be insulted. Just because they disagree with you does not make them wrong or selfish or ignorant or wasting time. Your post was totally unnecessary.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
2701 posts
1532 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: What ever makes you think I dispute it?
You conveniently deleted the evidence so what can I say but I saw what you had bolded in my post and the link you posted that said climate change was a hoax and it was meant to dispute what I had written.
I am very open to all aspects of every debate. I read both sides as there is always 2 sides to every story. I think that there valid points on both sides of every issue and from them I can make a decision.
I am not evangelistic about anything and distrust people that are. Your attempt to "convert" me is exactly what I am talking about. You do not know what I think about climate change. Had you just stopped with your first post to me and accepted my explanation, you would have had some credibility but this post lessens my respect for you. I do not need to be "converted" nor do I need to be lectured by you about what others are like.
This is a free and open forum and people of all sides debate them and do not need to be insulted. Just because they disagree with you does not make them wrong or selfish or ignorant or wasting time.
Hilarious. First off, I don't care, want or need your respect, no thanks and nor do I care if you find me credible. Second, where was I "converting" you? Funny that you keep using that word in quotes too.

Also the fact you need to be "converted" or need to decide if you want to believe something that is a fact (it's like denying or being undecided if the world is round or 1+1=2 ), speaks volumes about you. Like I said, only someone who is either selfish (e.g. political or economic gain) or brainwashed idiot would deny it when there's not only scientific evidence to support this, you just have to turn on the TV to see it. People who have political agendas will try manipulate the data to serve their own needs and then use their power/influence in the media to divert attention from the issue. Even the CEO of Suncor (huge emitter of GHG and has economic and political reason to "deny" it) says how nonsensical it is to deny it https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.4694549. If you're so open, investigate and research some of the people who deny it, that ought to tell you something. I'm more than internet warrior on this topic, I'm in this field so I do know what I am talking about and can back up anything I state as fact regarding CC data with credible and reliable peer-reviewed sources, not from social and new media - the selfish and brainwashed part is obviously my opinion but I stand behind it 100%. The fact that you think that I said people are selfish because they don't agree with my POV is also false - perhaps a reading comprehension problem on your part. Tackling climate change is going to require changes especially behavioural changes, which is what I meant by selfish part and I used the word "we" to indicate we as in society but you chose to make it personal, so that's on you.

A debate where someone is trying to "convert" (btw convince is the appropriate word) someone of something would be something that neither side can prove e.g. does God exist is religion evil...so I wasn't trying to convert/convince you because there's no debate that CC is real, it is a fact- my point went over your head so I'm not going to even bother after this post.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34324 posts
8147 upvotes
Ottawa
hierophant wrote: You conveniently deleted the evidence so what can I say but I saw what you had bolded in my post and the link you posted that said climate change was a hoax and it was meant to dispute what I had written.

Hilarious. First off, I don't care, want or need your respect, no thanks and nor do I care if you find me credible. Second, where was I "converting" you? Funny that you keep using that word in quotes too.

Also the fact you need to be "converted" or need to decide if you want to believe something that is a fact (it's like denying or being undecided if the world is round or 1+1=2 ), speaks volumes about you. Like I said, only someone who is either selfish (e.g. political or economic gain) or brainwashed idiot would deny it when there's not only scientific evidence to support this, you just have to turn on the TV to see it. People who have political agendas will try manipulate the data to serve their own needs and then use their power/influence in the media to divert attention from the issue. Even the CEO of Suncor (huge emitter of GHG and has economic and political reason to "deny" it) says how nonsensical it is to deny it https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.4694549. If you're so open, investigate and research some of the people who deny it, that ought to tell you something. I'm more than internet warrior on this topic, I'm in this field so I do know what I am talking about and can back up anything I state as fact regarding CC data with credible and reliable peer-reviewed sources, not from social and new media - the selfish and brainwashed part is obviously my opinion but I stand behind it 100%. The fact that you think that I said people are selfish because they don't agree with my POV is also false - perhaps a reading comprehension problem on your part. Tackling climate change is going to require changes especially behavioural changes, which is what I meant by selfish part and I used the word "we" to indicate we as in society but you chose to make it personal, so that's on you.

A debate where someone is trying to "convert" (btw convince is the appropriate word) someone of something would be something that neither side can prove e.g. does God exist is religion evil...so I wasn't trying to convert/convince you because there's no debate that CC is real, it is a fact- my point went over your head so I'm not going to even bother after this post.
See what I mean? All you had to do was stop with your first post yet, you go on and on and on. :facepalm:
I don't care what you think....get over yourself.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2004
3084 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote: Humans cause global warming.
This

Want to help the environment, stop having kids
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
7600 posts
1955 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
sandikosh wrote: Humans cause global warming.
ah_long wrote: This

Want to help the environment, stop having kids
That is too simplistic a response. Humans have been on earth for many thousands of years without creating climate change. We can continue to do so.

It is human activity, since the industrial revolution, and human use of GHG-intensive activities that cause climate change.

Our species does not have to become extinct. We need to change our behaviour. If we do not, then we may well create our own extinction and take many other species with us in our self-destructive orgy.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1423 posts
732 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
BananaHunter wrote: Farting contributes to global warming.
That is why I only fart in the winter.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1423 posts
732 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
kthxbye wrote: Human caused global warming is a fraud. Climate change is a religion.
How dare you?