• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2017 5:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9386 posts
1286 upvotes

Does Airmiles Gold Program worth it?

Will I actually see a discount after become a Gold member?

thanks
36 replies
May 12, 2005
667 posts
26 upvotes
Markham
No. There are very few items that are discounted miles, usually junk. I've never once redeemed for any "gold" items and I've been gold for several years.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9386 posts
1286 upvotes
do you see any "gold" discount on flights? I needs a few tickets in July. thanks
fortunekitty500 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2010 7:43 pm
No. There are very few items that are discounted miles, usually junk. I've never once redeemed for any "gold" items and I've been gold for several years.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5214 posts
1418 upvotes
I'm not so sure about your question. Just to clarify, you can't "buy" or "upgrade to" gold status. You simply have to qualify by being a heavy shopper and have the luck of having lots of sponsors in your area (ie: accumulate 1000 miles/year and a minimum of 5 different sponsors) :D

And, I, too, have never seen any real incentive offers. They keep sending me emails about great offers for gold members but I fail to see outstanding offers.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
62 upvotes
I've had gold for a few years.... never used any benefit from it. They don't even give you a gold card anymore.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16874 posts
1812 upvotes
GTA West
Eh, I wish they would get rid of Air Miles, Aeroplan, etc, and just pass on the cost savings to customers.

I only get Air Miles because I am forced to go to the LCBO, and it's better to get them than not get them.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1416 posts
257 upvotes
St. John's
I've been a goldmember for 2 years now and have never gotten any benefit from it. But it doesn't cost me anything - so I can't really complain. It's fairly easy to qualify for, I'm already more than halfway to qualifying again for 2010-11, not even 2 months into the year.

The flight specials are really good though, if the dates and locations line up with your plans, I think they are routinely 30% off the number of miles to go.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1446 posts
76 upvotes
I've been a gold member since 2004 and I've only redeemed for 1 item exclusive to gold members. I've found I'm better off redeeming gift cards and buying items on sale from a store. eg. HBC/Zellers for home items, Sportchek for sporting goods, pharmaplus for personal needs, Staples for school supplies, etc..

For flights, I've always found it's cheaper to book elsewhere.

I wouldn't go out of your way to rack up on airmiles just for the gold status, but it's really not that hard to get 1000 airmiles in a year. Although you need to shop at 5 sponsors, Shell and LCBO alone did it for me -- don't drink and drive! :D
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9386 posts
1286 upvotes
Thanks, how often does Airmiles has sale on high-season flights? In particular, I am looking for domestic flight in July.
fly wrote:
Feb 19th, 2010 11:49 am
I've been a gold member since 2004 and I've only redeemed for 1 item exclusive to gold members. I've found I'm better off redeeming gift cards and buying items on sale from a store. eg. HBC/Zellers for home items, Sportchek for sporting goods, pharmaplus for personal needs, Staples for school supplies, etc..

I wouldn't go out of your way to rack up on airmiles just for the gold status, but it's really not that hard to get 1000 airmiles in a year. Although you need to shop at 5 sponsors, Shell and LCBO alone did it for me -- don't drink and drive! :D
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3577 posts
631 upvotes
Alberta
Every points card out there is just as way to get you to spend more money. Just remember that nobody gives away anything for free. Especially cards like the CIBC Aerogold card for example. You pay $120/year and $50 for any supplementary card. $120 + $50 x3 years for membership fees alone and you've basically bought your own ticket. That's not even including all the money you've spent to get the points you need to get the ticket.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3577 posts
631 upvotes
Alberta
fly wrote:
Feb 19th, 2010 11:49 am

I was at Sportchek the other day and they told me that they don't take the Airmiles card anymore.
May 12, 2005
667 posts
26 upvotes
Markham
82 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2010 1:39 pm
Thanks, how often does Airmiles has sale on high-season flights? In particular, I am looking for domestic flight in July.
There really aren't any flight sales for gold members. Just keep an eye out for regular sales - up to 40% off, depending on how popular the route is. The more popular the least likely there is a sale. Ever since they got rid of the old Westjet./gold Mosaik program, lowest rate of return on your miles.

Why don't you login online and look at what's on offer?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1445 posts
161 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2010 8:53 pm
I was at Sportchek the other day and they told me that they don't take the Airmiles card anymore.
Same thing happened to me, but I think they just added sportchek.ca as one of their new online retailers.

I'm also a gold member and have seen no benefit of being one.

I tried to redeem for something last November for the first time, usually there's nothing thst interests me. 1300 air miles for a nike hybrid golf club, reg. 2600 miles. Nothing for 4 weeks, so I contact them, they tell me they'll get back to me, nothing for 2 more weeks. I call again and they tell me they can no longer get it, and they're going to return my miles.

I need to find a better credit card rewards program.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1446 posts
76 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2010 8:53 pm
While that's true, you can still redeem for sportchek gift cards..
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1446 posts
76 upvotes
82 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2010 1:39 pm
Seems rare these days.. ever since westjet ended their partnership with bmo with the gold mastercard.