Home & Garden

Does any company do custom cut rubber floor winter mats for stairs and your experience with heated mats

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2020 12:15 am
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3771 posts
475 upvotes

Does any company do custom cut rubber floor winter mats for stairs and your experience with heated mats

I’m in Quebec, lots of snow and sub zero winter temperature coming.

I’m looking for something for my stairs and landing (both top landing and bottom landing)

1. Are heated mats worth it? I’m worried that the water melting will created a large ice patch where it settles at the bottom of the stairs, would love to hear your experience with this.

2. If you recommend heated, is there anywhere that does custom cut sizes?

3,. If you don’t recommend heated, where can I get custom cut sizes? Unless you wouldn’t recommend custom cut.
3 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
I have heat trak mats I was lusting over forever then walked into Lowes one day and they were clearing them out 5 years ago. Has solved 99% of our snow build up issues at the cottage. I wish I had bought the stair ones as well on clearance.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3771 posts
475 upvotes
Jerico wrote: I have heat trak mats I was lusting over forever then walked into Lowes one day and they were clearing them out 5 years ago. Has solved 99% of our snow build up issues at the cottage. I wish I had bought the stair ones as well on clearance.
I was just reading up on the heat trak ones, their website says they only have a life expectancy of 4-5 years, that’s crazy! These things are expensive.

Does it really help a lot? Doesn’t the water pool and ice wherever it settles causing a skating rink?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Rockstead wrote: I was just reading up on the heat trak ones, their website says they only have a life expectancy of 4-5 years, that’s crazy! These things are expensive.

Does it really help a lot? Doesn’t the water pool and ice wherever it settles causing a skating rink?
Any water you melt that runs off will pool, so I am careful about my slope.

5 years??? Thats news to me, and this is my 5th year. We do use timers etc though.

Edit: https://heattrak-knowledge-base.grooveh ... -mats-last
I see 7-8 years. We dont drive on them, and store them hanging. You dont need ultra-wide though, I bet mine are 15-20”... I am not sure actually. Will measure. Most likely 18”