Off Topic Archive

Locked: Does Anybody here take gravol to help them sleep?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2011 8:52 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 22, 2010
373 posts
7 upvotes

Does Anybody here take gravol to help them sleep?

Just wondering I heard it helps :confused:
Share:
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1036 posts
4 upvotes
I use it but not too much. Taking gravol can be addictive though.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15756 posts
1245 upvotes
GTA West
Gravol is a depressant. My friend who is a nurse told me that it could be used as a sleeping pill.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5845 posts
431 upvotes
Johan Liebert wrote:
Feb 27th, 2011 10:46 am
I use it but not too much. Taking gravol can be addictive though.

+1 for addictive.

See a doctor or develop your own techniques for falling asleep. It is conditioning really. Go to bed at the same time everyday and use same posture in bed etc to get to sleep.

Reading in bed puts me out quickly.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2573 posts
123 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Feb 27th, 2011 12:21 pm
+1 for addictive.

See a doctor or develop your own techniques for falling asleep. It is conditioning really. Go to bed at the same time everyday and use same posture in bed etc to get to sleep.

Reading in bed puts me out quickly.
+1

I can barely finish a chapter when reading in bed.
Jesus saves, I spend
Jan 8, 2011
319 posts
17 upvotes
The real question is why can't you sleep in the first place , some details would be nice .... do you have an active lifestyle ?
Sep 2, 2005
493 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
i usually go for a nightcap if i can't sleep. puts me out quick.
Jan 16, 2008
152 posts
when I go camping (back country) yes I usually do as it helps me sleep, because otherwise I can't seem to get any shut eye. But otherwise if you are taking it very frequently it might become addicted, you should see a doctor to perhaps get switched to an actual sleeping aid instead. I should listen to my own advice really because drugs should be utilized for their intended purpose, and gravol is for nausea, vomiting and dizziness, not as a sleep aid.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3155 upvotes
Calgary
Diphenhydramine/dimenhydrinate are the active ingredients in over-the-conter sleep aids, which include gravol, "Tylenol PM", nytol, etc., and certain allergy medications such as Benadryl.

Not particularly addicting. If they work for you, then great. Larger doses don't necessarily work better than smaller doses. Some people go into hallucinations on them. Easier to withdrawal from than the prescription-only sleep aids that are in the Valium class of drugs.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
I havent tried gravol for this....I have taken a Nyquil for this purpose at the tail end of a cold, even though I prob didnt need it, just to try and ensure I get a full nights sleep.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7041 posts
673 upvotes
GTA
Years ago my grandmother was having a lot of stress in her life and having problems sleeping. She went to the doctor and asked for a prescription for sleeping pills. Her doctor doesn't like to prescribe medication unnecessarily and told her to take a Gravol when she needed to sleep.

I probably do this about 3 times a year. Only rarely if I have been sleeping in and really need to get to bed early to get up early. I don't do it often and it does work. I took a Gravol the night before my wedding and was well rested the next day getting a full 8 hours sleep! I'm sure that wouldn't have happened without the Gravol as I would have been too nervous/excited to sleep.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
1113 posts
18 upvotes
Valerian or herbal Sleepy Time Night of Dreams tea
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
7009 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like alot of people use gravol to help them sleep but rarely, I'll take it to help me sleep maybe 1-4 times a month since I work midnights and seem to have an extremely hard time getting sleep, as in I'll sleep for 4 hours and can't sleep more than that.

My gf regularly takes 2, if I took 2 I'd be out for 12+hours
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1700 posts
73 upvotes
Barrie
I don't like them since ironically they make me really naseaous before making me pass out. I prefer melatonin
× < >