Automotive

Does anyone actually enjoy doing oil changes?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2015 10:21 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32134 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced

Does anyone actually enjoy doing oil changes?

Besides the cost the only reason i do it myself is that i don't trust the stealership or garage (i would never let a quick lube place touch my car) not to spill any oil outside the oil filling opening because the engine has a design flaw, when i changed the spark plugs one spark plug hole was full of engine oil because if you spill any oil onto the top of the engine it pools and gets into the spark plug hole :(
I find its removing the oil filter that causes the most mess, hands filter wrench, sprocket all end up covered in oil since the filter is installed vertically :(
I guess this is just a rant thread, unless someone has ideas on how to prevent this (i can ask them to use a funnel till the cows come home, they are interested in speed not carefulness).
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
50 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4327 posts
437 upvotes
Calgary
Used to be a pain with traditional designs, but now it's easy peasy with the oil filter on top where the hood is on the Subaru xv and that I have installed the fujimoto valve for the oil drain. I don't even need to jack up the vehicle no more, it's a quick 10 minute job. Save money and time. One of my considerations when getting a Subaru.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Loved it when I was younger, hate it as I got older. Exactly why I don't DIY anymore :D
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
The process itself is not the funniest in the world. However knowing it's done right and nothing was scratched or screwed up makes it more than worth while.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1353 posts
861 upvotes
GTA
I enjoy doing it myself. It's the only way I know it's done correct.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Solsearchin1 wrote: Loved it when I was younger, hate it as I got older. Exactly why I don't DIY anymore :D
I agree. I don't enjoy it at all. Clean up and disposal of the oil is a nuisance. In theory, you really don't save that much money for DYI, depending on what you are buying, $10-$20 maybe.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
I absolutely detest it, especially on my summer vehicle...crawling under the car and having to reach awkwardly to remove the filter and having oil drip on me is no fun.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1375 posts
283 upvotes
Mississauga
i dont know anyone that enjoys DIY oil changes if u have to drop the entire splash shield that doesnt have an access door for the plug/filter (Subaru/BMW/HOnda/Lexus.....)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
6412 posts
2624 upvotes
Mort Réal, QC
Wouldn't say I enjoy it, but that's only because I don't have a garage at home, so I have to do it on the yard, take out the lift, tools, etc... spill oil on my hands (but that's why I use nitrile gloves) and have to dispose of everything at some point. But, it's still the only way to have it done properly and have a chance to assess the overall state of the car. Usually end up checking air filter, tire inflation, washing the car, etc... and I do enjoy the BEER I get myself as a reward :D
Mar 15, 2008
269 posts
33 upvotes
It costs me about $18 to do each oil change myself ($12 for dino oil and $6 for the oil filter). It takes some time to dig out the tools, lift the car and clean up. I often wonder if I should just pay someone else to do it because I am not saving much money.

However, I am confident I am putting in non-recycled oil and is using a quality oil filter. It makes me satisfied to see extremely clean oil on the dipstick when I'm done. I never had a car that has burned oil as of yet.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
2319 posts
1192 upvotes
BC
I wouldn't let anyone touch my car for such an easy task, I don't mind doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9101 posts
4566 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
Did it back with my old car, these days I just take it to my mechanic with my own oil. Don't want to get into trouble with condo managment since it's my own place now, back then I was renting so I didn't give a crap.

I just sit and chat with my mechanic these days or ask him more questions while my car's being worked on, or do my own inspections while it's up on the lift.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Siward wrote: It costs me about $18 to do each oil change myself ($12 for dino oil and $6 for the oil filter). It takes some time to dig out the tools, lift the car and clean up. I often wonder if I should just pay someone else to do it because I am not saving much money.

However, I am confident I am putting in non-recycled oil and is using a quality oil filter. It makes me satisfied to see extremely clean oil on the dipstick when I'm done. I never had a car that has burned oil as of yet.
Every car burns oil...new or old!
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1268 posts
82 upvotes
Vaughan
Am I the only one here who gets gouged by Mr.Lube? I use premium synthetic and pay $100 every 5k or so. Money isn't an issue, but if I can save a lot I want to try doing it myself. What do you guys think?
Mar 15, 2008
269 posts
33 upvotes
marcodt wrote: Am I the only one here who gets gouged by Mr.Lube? I use premium synthetic and pay $100 every 5k or so. Money isn't an issue, but if I can save a lot I want to try doing it myself. What do you guys think?
You need to invest quite a bit in tools to DIY.
1) Jack lift with stands or Rhino ramps
2) Wrench or Socket Wrench to take off oil plug
3) Oil filter wrench or flute/end cap wrench to take off oil filter

You also need to buy your own motor oil and oil filter.

Add the tool costs up. It will take you quite a long time to make it up in oil changes. I do other stuff with my tools such as tire rotations. It made more sense for me since my family has multiple cars.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
marcodt wrote: Am I the only one here who gets gouged by Mr.Lube? I use premium synthetic and pay $100 every 5k or so. Money isn't an issue, but if I can save a lot I want to try doing it myself. What do you guys think?
???
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
For.#1 just use some spare 2x4 or 2x6 .. screw two together and your set.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Why on Earth would you use synthetic and get an oil change every 5000kms? That's why you're getting gouged.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
plucky duck wrote: Used to be a pain with traditional designs, but now it's easy peasy with the oil filter on top where the hood is on the Subaru xv and that I have installed the fujimoto valve for the oil drain. I don't even need to jack up the vehicle no more, it's a quick 10 minute job. Save money and time. One of my considerations when getting a Subaru.
Wow .. First time I am hearing that car doesn't need to be lifted at all to do OIl changes.
Is this mechanism stock or you have done modifications?
In any case it should be little tough as the basic principle of fluid flow says that drain plug and filter should both be towards the bottom of the engine. In that case I believe even if you dont need to lift the car, to drain and change oil filter you must be bending a lot into the car to access those.
Sorry I am lazy to google but can you point me to a video that shows doing oil change without lifting the car ( Or create your video and post pls)
Definitely this would be a big advantage buying Subaru....