Cell Phones

Does anyone actually prefer iPhone 8 over iPhone 10/X?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 5:30 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
381 posts
37 upvotes

Does anyone actually prefer iPhone 8 over iPhone 10/X?

Hi!

I'm in the market to upgrade my iPhone 6 which became slower recently when I upgraded the iOS (but we can leave the conspiracy theories to another thread) :P I'm looking at either an iPhone 8 or iPhone 10/X. I think I'm leaning towards the iPhone 8 (and price isn't a huge consideration for me). I see the following comparative advantages of each phone:

iPhone 8 Advantages:
  • Has a home button (which I prefer)
  • Smaller form factor and lighter
  • Probably more reliable
  • Can probably use my iPhone 6 Case
  • Cheaper ($1139 vs $1529 for 256GB model)

iPhone 10/X Advantages:
  • Screen Quality
  • Screen Size
  • Cool-kid-on-the-block factor (at least for two weeks :P)
  • Selfie Camera quality (which I don't care about)
  • Face ID (debatable whether this is an advantage or disadvantage)

Has anyone else had difficulty choosing between the two phones?

Thanks!
50 replies
Jan 29, 2013
649 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Yup. I chose the 8. Now my X is arriving this week...
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15620 posts
4376 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
my gf got an 8 about a month ago and I got my X last week. The X is obviously a superior phone.

The iPhone 8 pros you've mentioned above are all valid (especially if you have expensive cases/a lot of cases from your iPhone 6). I have like $400 in battery cases for my 7 that are now useless to me.

Try out the X at an apple store and see what you think. But if you prefer the smaller/lighter phone/home button and are ok with the smaller screen then it's a no brainer to go for the 8.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15620 posts
4376 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
qualdoth wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:17 pm
Yup. I chose the 8. Now my X is arriving this week...
baller. so you have like $2500 of phones now?
Firebolt wrote:
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Apr 24, 2017
815 posts
333 upvotes
Waterloo
VifferFun wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:10 pm
[*]Smaller form factor and lighter
iPhone X: Dimensions 143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7 mm
iPhone 8: Dimensions 138.4 x 67.3 x 7.3 mm

I feel like the size different is negligible. The weight difference is only 30g. The fact that you get more screen real-estate while being around the same size as a regular iphone 8 makes the X the better buy IMO.

Removal of home button is a win, but removal of TouchID is a nay, IMO. FaceID is nice but it should be added as a complimentary to TouchID, not in replace of TouchID.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15620 posts
4376 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
i don't even know what a home button is anymore. After a few days with my X I'm using my iPad without smashing the home button at all now.
Firebolt wrote:
Aug 22, 2017
231 posts
71 upvotes
The iPhone has a bigger screen size 5.8" compared to iPhone 8 plus at 5.5". And definitely a beautiful OLED screen (Super Retina Display) at 1 million : 1 contrast ratio, which makes the pictures look outstanding. So, in a nutshell, I would definitely get the X over 8/8 plus.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
6995 posts
289 upvotes
Got the X and will be returning it as I’ve used it since Saturday and I’m not too impressed by it. Been an Apple fan since the very first one and personally I’m going to wait for next year’s model of the x. Going back to my iPhone 7 Plus for now.

Found that the screen is not as big as it’s advertised as the apps aren’t all optimized for the screen ratio. If I’m watching YouTube or other apps like RSS player, the screen is actually smaller as the two sides of the (top and bottom of phone) are blacked out. Screen ratio at 19.5:9 makes no sense to me. The phone is Just longer.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15620 posts
4376 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
bobbings wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:05 pm
Got the X and will be returning it as I’ve used it since Saturday and I’m not too impressed by it. Been an Apple fan since the very first one and personally I’m going to wait for next year’s model of the x. Going back to my iPhone 7 Plus for now.

Found that the screen is not as big as it’s advertised as the apps aren’t all optimized for the screen ratio. If I’m watching YouTube or other apps like RSS player, the screen is actually smaller as the two sides of the (top and bottom of phone) are blacked out. Screen ratio at 19.5:9 makes no sense to me. The phone is Just longer.
you can swipe out to engage full screen mode when watching video but then it cuts some of the picture off slightly at the top and bottom

I think people that have that behemoth plus model were mostly disappointed with the X and are looking forward to the 6.5 inch X Plus next year. For me, the X is perfect because I can't deal with massive phones.
Firebolt wrote:
Jan 29, 2013
649 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:19 pm
baller. so you have like $2500 of phones now?
No, my wife is taking the 8.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
6995 posts
289 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:15 pm
you can swipe out to engage full screen mode when watching video but then it cuts some of the picture off slightly at the top and bottom

I think people that have that behemoth plus model were mostly disappointed with the X and are looking forward to the 6.5 inch X Plus next year. For me, the X is perfect because I can't deal with massive phones.
Yup I’m aware that we can zoom in but with the aspect ratio of the X, it’s cutting off the full video screen and that’s a real bummer. Who thought about that in the first place???
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15620 posts
4376 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
bobbings wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:24 pm
Yup I’m aware that we can zoom in but with the aspect ratio of the X, it’s cutting off the full video screen and that’s a real bummer. Who thought about that in the first place???
yeah it's kind of shit. I can't argue with that.
Firebolt wrote:
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3614 posts
604 upvotes
Brampton ON
VifferFun wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:10 pm
Hi!

I'm in the market to upgrade my iPhone 6 which became slower recently when I upgraded the iOS (but we can leave the conspiracy theories to another thread) :P I'm looking at either an iPhone 8 or iPhone 10/X. I think I'm leaning towards the iPhone 8 (and price isn't a huge consideration for me). I see the following comparative advantages of each phone:

iPhone 8 Advantages:
  • Has a home button (which I prefer)
  • Smaller form factor and lighter
  • Probably more reliable
  • Can probably use my iPhone 6 Case
  • Cheaper ($1139 vs $1529 for 256GB model)

iPhone 10/X Advantages:
  • Screen Quality
  • Screen Size
  • Cool-kid-on-the-block factor (at least for two weeks :P)
  • Selfie Camera quality (which I don't care about)
  • Face ID (debatable whether this is an advantage or disadvantage)

Has anyone else had difficulty choosing between the two phones?

Thanks!
Wait for the 8s or the Xs version, lots of rumors coming up for the new iPhone.
As-salamu alaykum
Freedom Mobile $21 10gb
BYOP ( Plan * 24months + Phone )
Contract ( Plan * 24months - Phone - GC )

Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15620 posts
4376 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
d1ulove3 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:42 pm
Wait for the 8s or the Xs version, lots of rumors coming up for the new iPhone.
that's hilarious. the X just came out last week and you want OP to wait like 11 months to upgrade to the next version of the 8 or the X?

he might as well wait a couple years for the XI or XSS at that rate...
Firebolt wrote:
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
11096 posts
1420 upvotes
Markham
I will wait for the X Plus.

IPhone X looks better without the notch
80TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 60TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
40TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485