Food & Drink

Does anyone else think Kelsey's and Montanas are going downhill?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2018 11:39 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8885 posts
1671 upvotes

Does anyone else think Kelsey's and Montanas are going downhill?

My last 3 visits to Cara sit down restaurants have been all poor experiences and wasn't always like that. Here is what has happened recently (all west end GTA)

Experience 1. Visited Kelsey's on a Saturday just before 7 - restaurant is 1/2 full. Could not be seated for 45-60 minutes as the kitchen was backed up. Clearly mismanaged or understaffed. We left and went to Turtle Jacks accross the street.

Experience 2. Visited another Kelsey's. Service was so-so, food took more than 30 minutes to come. Food was ok but not all very hot/fresh. Had one item taken off the bill as it was not good.

Experience 3. Visited Montana's this weekend with baseball team. Service was SLOW, my order was missed (and the waitress denied it even though my order took 15 minutes more) and then the sandwich was lukewarm at best. Not very good/tasty, fries had to follow as they were "not ready".

I think Cara must have serious issues - we went to Boston Pizza 2 weeks ago and it was fine. Also went to Jack Astors and it was fine.

Anyone else giving up on Kelsey's / Montanas? I used to love Montanas in particular but I really have no want to go back any time soon.
80 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28244 posts
3806 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Kelsey's was my favourite place for wings in the 90s. For me it has been going downhill since the millennium. I wouldn't consider it today. I have a better experience at Tim Hortons

Montana's is still okay for me. Haven't been there recently. Last visit was probably September last year, no complaints
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30285 posts
5277 upvotes
Ottawa
Were they ever really up the hill?
I go to Montana's for ribs when they are on special.
Kelseys was never a go to place for us. We went once and it was not good enough for us to go back.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8885 posts
1671 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 4:22 pm
Kelseys was never a go to place for us. We went once and it was not good enough for us to go back.
I had not been to Kelsey for a couple of years but last time I was there (I think it was in Barrie) it was pretty good. I certainly had no memorable bad experience.

If I was a CARA shareholder I would be worried - I don't know why I would go back anytime soon.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30285 posts
5277 upvotes
Ottawa
kool1 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 4:37 pm
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 4:22 pm
I had not been to Kelsey for a couple of years but last time I was there (I think it was in Barrie) it was pretty good. I certainly had no memorable bad experience.

If I was a CARA shareholder I would be worried - I don't know why I would go back anytime soon.
I did not have a "memorable bad experience" either but, I also did not have a memorable good experience to make me want to go back and, perhaps that is the problem? :)
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4701 upvotes
If they go down hill any more they'll be in China....

Montana's has the 2nd worst ribs I've ever eaten in my life.
Swiss Chalet stole that crown, whizzed on it, and ran away with their pants on their head.
Jul 20, 2012
540 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
I remember in the mid-80's there was a Kelsey's in Collingwood (it's still there). It was pretty much the only bar in Collingwood. The place was always packed on a weekend. You had to wait in line to go to the bar. Get this, we even slipped the bouncer $20 to let us in.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7554 posts
975 upvotes
Toronto
Had no idea Kelseys still existed.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3750 posts
568 upvotes
Aurora
You need to start eating in better places.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19766 posts
3585 upvotes
Poormond Hill
We were in a Montanas in St. John's last month and for a Saturday, the place looked dead. A lot of empty tables, no one sitting at the bar watching sports or having a drink. And this was at around 7 in the evening.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8885 posts
1671 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Aug 25th, 2016 5:46 am
We were in a Montanas in St. John's last month and for a Saturday, the place looked dead. A lot of empty tables, no one sitting at the bar watching sports or having a drink. And this was at around 7 in the evening.
Ya - there is a lot of competition out there and more all the time. It's a shame as the new menu items they have advertised look really good.

For BBQ/TexMex type food - Lone Star is so much better - super fresh and tasty. Not sure if they are out on the east coast.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8885 posts
1671 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 6:23 pm
I did not have a "memorable bad experience" either but, I also did not have a memorable good experience to make me want to go back and, perhaps that is the problem? :)
Sometimes you have to follow others or a team to a place cause that's what's been chosen.

I always like to give places another chance. Kelsey's has seen a menu overhaul and many of the locations have been reno'd also. I won't be back.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1204 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
I'm pretty shocked Montanas is still in business the food is always terrible. Kelsey's is ok depends on location.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30285 posts
5277 upvotes
Ottawa
kool1 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2016 8:57 am
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 6:23 pm
Sometimes you have to follow others or a team to a place cause that's what's been chosen.

I always like to give places another chance. Kelsey's has seen a menu overhaul and many of the locations have been reno'd also. I won't be back.
A team usually only goes for the beer and Montana's, Like Boston Pizza etc give teams discounts if they all show up. At least that is what Boston, Kelsey's, Montana's, and the other places with a bar do in my area.
So, even with menu improvements and renovations, you won't go back?
I do not like Lone Star as the whole place always smells greasy and so do your clothes when you leave. I think the food is as "fresh" as Kelsey's and Montana's, although the 2 Ottawa Roughrider football players did pretty good with Lone Star
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9677 posts
3981 upvotes
Ottawa
kool1 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 1:53 pm
I think Cara must have serious issues - we went to Boston Pizza 2 weeks ago and it was fine. Also went to Jack Astors and it was fine
I hate chains in general but i went to Boston Pizza tonight for the 1st time in about 15 years and i have absolutely no idea how that managed to stay in business all this time. My nachos were stale. I mean in an open bag for a week rubbery stale. My friend had a sandwich with about 11 fries tossed next to it. The meat was so dry he had to ask for mayo or any other sauce to make it edible. He was offered a small container of chipotle mayo by the waitress for...wait for it...an extra $1.

He got a piece of chocolate cake for a mere $9 and the thing was about 2" wide.

Are people's taste buds and expectations so low that they find this acceptable?

Like i said i hate all chains. If i want microwaved food prepared in a factory and reheated in a microwave i'll pick up Machalina's when they go on sale for 99cents. If i want a nice meal out i'll find a place with someone in the kitchen who takes pride in what they put on a plate...and at the end of the day that'll be even cheaper.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain