Food & Drink

Does anyone else think Kelsey's and Montanas are going downhill?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2018 11:39 am
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1292 posts
239 upvotes
Oakville
kool1 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 1:53 pm
My last 3 visits to Cara sit down restaurants have been all poor experiences and wasn't always like that. Here is what has happened recently (all west end GTA)

Experience 1. Visited Kelsey's on a Saturday just before 7 - restaurant is 1/2 full. Could not be seated for 45-60 minutes as the kitchen was backed up. Clearly mismanaged or understaffed. We left and went to Turtle Jacks accross the street.

Experience 2. Visited another Kelsey's. Service was so-so, food took more than 30 minutes to come. Food was ok but not all very hot/fresh. Had one item taken off the bill as it was not good.

Experience 3. Visited Montana's this weekend with baseball team. Service was SLOW, my order was missed (and the waitress denied it even though my order took 15 minutes more) and then the sandwich was lukewarm at best. Not very good/tasty, fries had to follow as they were "not ready".

I think Cara must have serious issues - we went to Boston Pizza 2 weeks ago and it was fine. Also went to Jack Astors and it was fine.

Anyone else giving up on Kelsey's / Montanas? I used to love Montanas in particular but I really have no want to go back any time soon.
Was that the Kelsey's on Trafalgar in Oakville? That happened to me a few moinths back. The restaurant was half empty and the manager refused to seat over 20 people standing at the door as the kitchen was short staffed and backed up. The excuse was that they didn't want customers waiting for their food orders but would rather they wait standing for a table. And you can't have a drink while standing at the door. Lots of lost sales that night. Never gone back to that location. Was going to call and complain to head office about the manager.
May 5, 2016
388 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
Only the regularly busy (downtown/small town locations) are slightly better. Used to work/manage at a chain restaurant. They usually keep costs down by cutting staff from absurd projections. So if you have seen a half full restaurant backed up, it's likely that they'll have 1 or 2 people working on the line. So you can imagine the quality that they're producing under those circumstances. Never again will eat or work in those types of restaurants.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1582 posts
185 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Aug 25th, 2016 5:46 am
We were in a Montanas in St. John's last month and for a Saturday, the place looked dead. A lot of empty tables, no one sitting at the bar watching sports or having a drink. And this was at around 7 in the evening.
It was Saturday evening in the peak of the summer. Why would you expect the bar to be packed with people watching sports? Most people would be out enjoying summer or sitting on the patio. All the sports are on break (hockey, football, basketball.)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
5344 posts
660 upvotes
Haven't visited either place recently, like within the last 10 years. They were average to just good back then but it seems there's not much incentive for them to improve - otherwise they would. Somehow they get away with serving high priced low quality food and with sub-par service.
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."

Ask me about my Crypto Currency Whatsapp group
Traditional wet shaving thread. Double edge shaving talk - Save $$$
Feb 18, 2012
277 posts
66 upvotes
Victoria
Pretty hard to go downhill when you start at the bottom of the hill.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4828 posts
424 upvotes
Scarborough
if there's only 1 or 2 in the kitchen no wonder its backing up........can only imagine how they manage to get orders out, so u see orders missing bcaz kitchen didn't bother with it

Go to an indian restaurant instead, u get everything
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12484 posts
1864 upvotes
Toronto
Horsey2345 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2016 11:44 am
Believe it or not that wasn't the bottom of the hill, or at least they seem to be on a mission to demonstrate that it wasn't...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4698 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2016 10:42 am
Horsey2345 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2016 11:44 am
Believe it or not that wasn't the bottom of the hill, or at least they seem to be on a mission to demonstrate that it wasn't...
You're right. I think they started about 1/3 of the way to China.
Dec 16, 2009
533 posts
108 upvotes
Durham
Sysco specials with inter-changeable names.

The business plan relies on advertising and not staffing or quality.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5113 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
I can't imagine a place with dump and serve food that is constantly looking to cut food and labour costs going anywhere but downhill. Most of those places I see being short staffed all the time with high turnover.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
715 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
Aug 29th, 2016 12:00 pm
I can't imagine a place with dump and serve food that is constantly looking to cut food and labour costs going anywhere but downhill. Most of those places I see being short staffed all the time with high turnover.
it's been like this for years. I remember even 10 years back they never had a full staff for the montanas I frequented, not for lunch, not for dinner.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8653 posts
1517 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
Seems to be a Cara issue though. I don't see it at other casual dining places. In fact my last 3 non-Cara meals have all had good service and food (Jack Astors, Lone Star and Fion McCools).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5113 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
rageking wrote:
No Frills wrote:
it's been like this for years. I remember even 10 years back they never had a full staff for the montanas I frequented, not for lunch, not for dinner.
I believe you. This business model isn't anything new.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8653 posts
1517 upvotes
cba123 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2016 12:13 am
kool1 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2016 1:53 pm
My last 3 visits to Cara sit down restaurants have been all poor experiences and wasn't always like that. Here is what has happened recently (all west end GTA)

Experience 1. Visited Kelsey's on a Saturday just before 7 - restaurant is 1/2 full. Could not be seated for 45-60 minutes as the kitchen was backed up. Clearly mismanaged or understaffed. We left and went to Turtle Jacks accross the street.

Experience 2. Visited another Kelsey's. Service was so-so, food took more than 30 minutes to come. Food was ok but not all very hot/fresh. Had one item taken off the bill as it was not good.

Experience 3. Visited Montana's this weekend with baseball team. Service was SLOW, my order was missed (and the waitress denied it even though my order took 15 minutes more) and then the sandwich was lukewarm at best. Not very good/tasty, fries had to follow as they were "not ready".

I think Cara must have serious issues - we went to Boston Pizza 2 weeks ago and it was fine. Also went to Jack Astors and it was fine.

Anyone else giving up on Kelsey's / Montanas? I used to love Montanas in particular but I really have no want to go back any time soon.
Was that the Kelsey's on Trafalgar in Oakville? That happened to me a few moinths back. The restaurant was half empty and the manager refused to seat over 20 people standing at the door as the kitchen was short staffed and backed up. The excuse was that they didn't want customers waiting for their food orders but would rather they wait standing for a table. And you can't have a drink while standing at the door. Lots of lost sales that night. Never gone back to that location. Was going to call and complain to head office about the manager.
Ya.. Unbelievable.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12484 posts
1864 upvotes
Toronto
rageking wrote:
Aug 29th, 2016 1:07 pm
Yeah, when Montana's does their AYCE ribs, complete with a 2 hr seating limit, it's ribs whenever the hell they feel like bringing them to you...the first round passed as okay, but the rounds after that were horrible and more fatty.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)