Green / Eco-Friendly

Does anyone here reuse the plastic bags from bread/bagels?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 9:53 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10279 posts
1319 upvotes
City of Vancouver

Does anyone here reuse the plastic bags from bread/bagels?

I've noticed that a lot of the plastic bags used to package bread/bagels usually have holes/seam problems, resulting in a dried-out product well ahead of the best-before date. However, Silver Hills packaging is made of thicker plastic, and does not have this issue with holes/seams. So, since I often buy their sprouted bread, I always reuse their bags for kitchen waste rather than throw them straight in the garbage*. I know some people buy kitchen waste bags, so this is a way to REDUCE consumption of a new product by REUSING.

*I'm not aware of any recycling facilities locally that accept bread bags for recycling. Recycling facilities vary by region.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1134 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
We use their bags for the compost too! And as it's considered a "stretchy plastic", the City of Toronto recycles them now. Only not quite sure what happens to them after they go through the compost routing, better to give them one more run at least.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3619 posts
650 upvotes
Sask.
We reuse bread bags all the time, especially for freezing things - e.g. if I put in a pound of ground beef, I double it up in the bag, make sure the air is out, and freeze. Works well.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1922 posts
295 upvotes
Re-use them to freeze meat in the freezer ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1922 posts
295 upvotes
With the milk bags (the small ones) .. after finishing the milk ... I slit the top open ... then rinse and let dry.

With fresh purchased meat ... I would split it into portions and then use these milk bags to put them in.

The larger (outer) milk bag ... once all done the three bags of milk .. I flip inside out ... and then use it to pack meat in the freezer and write the date of the purchase.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Jul 14, 2016
60 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I store bread crumbs in bread bags. It just feels natural :)
Nov 10, 2015
711 posts
160 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
cocodc wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2016 11:03 pm
Dog poop bags :-0
Cat poop bags.Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Anyone But Justin 2019
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1386 posts
328 upvotes
Mississauga
cocodc wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2016 11:03 pm
Dog poop bags :-0
poleman wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 7:12 pm
Cat poop bags.Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Human poop bags...Face With Tears Of Joy

Load a couple of stinky baby diapers, spray with febreeze, twist the end then double bag it on itself.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10279 posts
1319 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I have recently started using the plastic bags that come with holes (that prevent accidental suffocation) to bundle my garbage-filled bread bags.

I keep the grocery plastic bags that have holes in them for taking out the recycling items to the recycling bin.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10279 posts
1319 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I am currently testing whether the stickers on bananas and other fruit can be used to plug up the holes in grocery bags and bread bags. I used to use masking tape, but this is such a waste of resources.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel