Personal Finance

Does anyone know when should I receive my EI after I submitted my application?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2019 6:04 pm
Aug 31, 2010
120 posts
10 upvotes
Winnipeg

Does anyone know when should I receive my EI after I submitted my application?

Forgive me for posting this question here, if it's not the right one, feel free to delete it.

I submitted my application mid November, but after 2 months I still have nothing.

In my account on service Canada website, it says no payment information for you. But all of required documents are submitted, there is no outstanding request showing in my account message box.

I have tried to call the EI office, it keeps saying there is no representative due to high volume. The auto-line tells me there is no activity on my account.

I really don't know what's going on. The service canada website says it should be within 28 days after I submitted, but it's apparently over that in my case.

Does anyone have any clue?

thanks!
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2007
1324 posts
689 upvotes
It can take a while but you should have it be now. ..I heard of 8 weeks sometimes.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1983 posts
794 upvotes
Kitchener
Contact your member of parliament and advise them of the delay and they will expedite it. My wife had the same issue, she submitted everything online and kept checking and it just said it was being processed. After 8 weeks I had it so contacted our MP, went in to his office signed a piece of paper allow them to work on our behalf and within 3 days we had our money. I assume it would work the same in Manitoba as it would in Ontario.
Aug 31, 2010
120 posts
10 upvotes
Winnipeg
ah, interesting. I just don't know if the holiday of Christmas and New Year is a factor in this delay here, or if I should give them another week or so, and then I would try to contact my local MP.

I was also curious if anyone has successfully spoken with a human representative on the phone
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1983 posts
794 upvotes
Kitchener
my wife could never get through to anyone via the phone. Personally I wouldn't give them another week, just contact your MP and see if they can help you.
Oct 21, 2008
150 posts
35 upvotes
5 to 6 weeks... for me back in 2009. It was pretty rough waiting.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1310 posts
718 upvotes
Montreal QC
peelhic wrote: my wife could never get through to anyone via the phone. Personally I wouldn't give them another week, just contact your MP and see if they can help you.
People can try 50 times from AM to PM and will never get through - it's as if their phone system is designed to prevent you from speaking to someone and discourages you to call.

There is a work around to this - after pressing 0 and it claims it is busy, try again later, press 1 immediately and then 0, it will re-attempt rather than you hanging up and dialing again.

There's usually a 45 minute wait period to speak to someone if you manage to get through.

----

Typically, it's less than 2 months to get the payment if I am not mistaken? I was on EI about 6-7 years ago and it was much easier and friendly. Now, it seems like the system has heavily deteriorated, did the present government cut back heavily on the staff or something? I constantly hear how impossible it is to reach a rep, long line ups, paperwork taking months - very unreasonable.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
It's usually 6-10 weeks, and make sure your doing your bi-weekly reports since you applied. You will end up 2-3 payments once approved.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7084 upvotes
West GTEH!
sowenzhang wrote: Forgive me for posting this question here, if it's not the right one, feel free to delete it.

I submitted my application mid November, but after 2 months I still have nothing.

In my account on service Canada website, it says no payment information for you. But all of required documents are submitted, there is no outstanding request showing in my account message box.

I have tried to call the EI office, it keeps saying there is no representative due to high volume. The auto-line tells me there is no activity on my account.

I really don't know what's going on. The service canada website says it should be within 28 days after I submitted, but it's apparently over that in my case.

Does anyone have any clue?

thanks!
If you can't get through by phone, have you tried visiting your EI Office in-person?
😎
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1505 posts
564 upvotes
YVR, BC
expresspotato wrote: Why am I paying for you not working?
you pay EI premiums like insurance - it's likely he has paid into it like you.
Mar 3, 2006
513 posts
164 upvotes
I'd much prefer paying EI than getting money out of it... count yourself lucky you don't need it...
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1633 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The last time I applied, I got paid in five weeks, but there was a one week delay because I'd gotten a week's worth of vacation pay. Or two weeks, they weren't very clear. By the time I got paid I was already reemployed. Of course, I got hardly anything for just that reason.

Note that they effectively ignore your first two weeks of unemployment. A six week delay in total is pretty reasonable, given the ignoring of the first two weeks.

You can apply for a My Service Canada account, which will give you lots of information. It is very hard to get in touch with Service Canada. Also lots of people don't have the proper numbers to call.

Don't call the 1800 O CANADA number.

EI #: 1800 206 7218

EI Report #: 1-800-531-7555 / 800 206 7218 (note this is different than the usual EI number)
Aug 31, 2010
120 posts
10 upvotes
Winnipeg
I don't think you are paying to me.
I paid to myself. Those are supposed to be my "Insurance".
If you don't understand it, read your paystub and service Canada website.

I deserve those money. A lot of people in the same boat would know.
Aug 31, 2010
120 posts
10 upvotes
Winnipeg
Webhead wrote: If you can't get through by phone, have you tried visiting your EI Office in-person?
I haven't, maybe it's easier. I would think about it, thanks
Aug 31, 2010
120 posts
10 upvotes
Winnipeg
FoFai2015 wrote: The last time I applied, I got paid in five weeks, but there was a one week delay because I'd gotten a week's worth of vacation pay. Or two weeks, they weren't very clear. By the time I got paid I was already reemployed. Of course, I got hardly anything for just that reason.

Note that they effectively ignore your first two weeks of unemployment. A six week delay in total is pretty reasonable, given the ignoring of the first two weeks.

You can apply for a My Service Canada account, which will give you lots of information. It is very hard to get in touch with Service Canada. Also lots of people don't have the proper numbers to call.

Don't call the 1800 O CANADA number.

EI #: 1800 206 7218

EI Report #: 1-800-531-7555 / 800 206 7218 (note this is different than the usual EI number)
that is the number I called, and I also have the account and able to access the service website.

I got an additional 2-week payment when I was laid off, so they start counting me from Dec 15th (according to the letter they sent me). If 4 to 6 weeks is considered normal, in my case, plus a week of government holiday, I guess technically I am not really delay. I guess I would wait another week.

thanks
Jul 12, 2009
146 posts
18 upvotes
Say you are on EI and you win $5000 on proline....do you have to put on the report that you won extra money from proline when they ask if you received any other money while on EI? Can they see that you deposted the $5000 cheque into you bank account ? or should you just wait until you're off EI to deposit it so that you don't lose out on any of the EI money?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1633 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Papasote wrote: Say you are on EI and you win $5000 on proline....do you have to put on the report that you won extra money from proline when they ask if you received any other money while on EI?
Other Money
Choose YES if you have received money in addition to what you have already declared on this report or on your application for EI benefits. Some examples are a bonus, gratuity, vacation pay, severance pay, pay in lieu of notice, sick pay etc.
Yes.
Can they see that you deposted the $5000 cheque into you bank account ?
No. Contrary to popular belief, giving someone your account information (so they can direct deposit money into your account) does not give them permission to actually look into your account. (The government has strict privacy rules. Very strict. If you move and let Service Canada know your new address, you're not informing Canada Revenue Agency. It doesn't matter that they're both part of the Canadian federal government and are required to share some information.)
or should you just wait until you're off EI to deposit it so that you don't lose out on any of the EI money?
When did you "earn" the Proline? That's when you should report it. Realistically Service Canada has no way of knowing that you've done so. But you'll always know you've cheated the government. Whether that has any emotional impact on you is another story.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2953 upvotes
Montreal
FoFai2015 wrote: Yes.

No. Contrary to popular belief, giving someone your account information (so they can direct deposit money into your account) does not give them permission to actually look into your account. (The government has strict privacy rules. Very strict. If you move and let Service Canada know your new address, you're not informing Canada Revenue Agency. It doesn't matter that they're both part of the Canadian federal government and are required to share some information.)

When did you "earn" the Proline? That's when you should report it. Realistically Service Canada has no way of knowing that you've done so. But you'll always know you've cheated the government. Whether that has any emotional impact on you is another story.
Like all lotteries in Canada Proline is not taxable and has absolutely nothing to do with your EI eligibility.
Other Money
Choose YES if you have received money in addition to what you have already declared on this report or on your application for EI benefits. Some examples are a bonus, gratuity, vacation pay, severance pay, pay in lieu of notice, sick pay etc.
How do these WORK BENEFITS equate in any way shape or form to non taxable lottery wins?

Papasote, cash the ticket whenever you want, no impact on EI.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)