Home & Garden

Does anyone leave their Gas Fireplace on over night?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 10:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1580 posts
151 upvotes
Vancouver

Does anyone leave their Gas Fireplace on over night?

Hi

I am living in a townhouse that has gas fireplace which is included in my maintenance fees, I been using it quite a bit instead of using my base board heaters as I expect almost everyone in my strata is doing as well.

I find that it heats my place pretty good and not only where the fireplace is but even the upper level. Now I am wondering if it is safe to leave it over night on.

It is a vent less fireplace which apparently only has 1 setting (on or off) and even off the pilot light is always on.

Edit - as many people have pointed out and after looking at the diagrams posted, I probably have a vented fireplace.
Last edited by xiaobao on Nov 7th, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
29 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2650 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa
Vent less? Are you sure? And no, we do not leave our direct-vent gas fireplace on when we're not in the room.
"Vent free fireplaces are fireplaces that do not require any type of vent system. Instead, they are designed to burn clean and the combustion by-products allowed to flow into the room the fireplace is located in. Stringent requirements ensure that these fireplaces not only burn cleanly, but that they are located in rooms of sufficient size to ensure an adequate supply of fresh air is always available for the combustion process. A highly sensitive sensor is employed to turn off the gas to the fireplace should the level of oxygen within the area begin to deplete. The most obvious benefit of this type of system is that no heat is lost through the venting system making the fireplace virtually 100% efficient. Currently, these type of gas fireplaces can only be installed in some areas of the United States. They are not approved for use in Canada."
Feb 13, 2013
139 posts
60 upvotes
BC
The fireplace in the basement is always on (low) when it gets close to freezing. No worries about leaving it on all night. I’m in BC, so it certainly isn’t on all winter, but right now it’s pretty cold so the fireplace is definitely useful. It’s also in the same room as my office, and I find that if I have to sit at my desk for long periods, I get cold fast.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2869 posts
768 upvotes
Paris
We leave ours on at the cottage at 10 degrees Celsius in case of furnace death and I'm sure they are on from time to time especially in the basement. Even when we are not home.

At home my fireplaces are on timers to space heat just the areas we use in the morning.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4295 posts
2909 upvotes
GTA
OP, by "ventless" maybe you mean it has no chimney? Many are vented in the rear so you wouldn't see any vent.
If you post the model I'm sure we could help you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1580 posts
151 upvotes
Vancouver
engineered wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:32 pm
OP, by "ventless" maybe you mean it has no chimney? Many are vented in the rear so you wouldn't see any vent.
If you post the model I'm sure we could help you.
Seeing this picture has jogged my memory and I think what you are showing is what I have (tomorrow morning I am going to check if I can see some sort of vent on the outside around that area). I had a handy man who came and mounted my tv above the fireplace but to make it more sturdy and to feed the hdmi cables through(CL3 Rated...though the handy man thought it would not be necessary behind the fireplace it basically is all hollow and was not touching anything of the fireplace but I wanted to be on the safe side) and now I remember seeing some long tube which probably is the vent.

I wish I knew the model number or make but I cannot find any such markings on the face of the fireplace. I do see some grates that have wires behind it but I don't see away to open it up.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2500 posts
881 upvotes
xiaobao wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:58 pm
Seeing this picture has jogged my memory and I think what you are showing is what I have (tomorrow morning I am going to check if I can see some sort of vent on the outside around that area). I had a handy man who came and mounted my tv above the fireplace but to make it more sturdy and to feed the hdmi cables through(CL3 Rated...though the handy man thought it would not be necessary behind the fireplace it basically is all hollow and was not touching anything of the fireplace but I wanted to be on the safe side) and now I remember seeing some long tube which probably is the vent.

I wish I knew the model number or make but I cannot find any such markings on the face of the fireplace. I do see some grates that have wires behind it but I don't see away to open it up.
Always nice to have a gas appliance where you don't know where to shut off the gas supply if you have a leak.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6053 posts
1025 upvotes
Mississauga
In the photo where the green arrow is, there should be what you call a "grate". It maybe hinged at the bottom, therefore the top should open down, at which point there should be a metal plate somewhere listing details such as model number, serial number and other important details. If the panel hasn't been open in some time, the heat/cold, may have distorted it somewhat and it maybe difficult to open the first time around.

Personally, I don't like to have an open flame of this magnitude, when I'm either close by, or not at home, being asleep is like not being at home. I exclude pilot lights as they're small enough and contained. It boils down to how much risk you're willing to take.

Also keep in mind that if natural gas is included.. and the cost of natural gas for all townhouses double, they may amend the fees to adjust for the major increase in cost.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15789 posts
4690 upvotes
Ottawa
I turn my one once a year, just to make sure it works.
May 22, 2009
21 posts
5 upvotes
Capital City
I'm reluctant to do this at my home, but i have a gas furnace as well so the economic need isn't there.

Leaving the fireplace on will likely help lower your heating bill, I'd make sure you have good fire and C02 alarms
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8218 posts
2392 upvotes
Richmond Hill
We got rid of our gas fireplace as it's more of a hazard and we never used it. Having young kids and a burning hot glass is just asking for it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1580 posts
151 upvotes
Vancouver
Maymybonneliveforever wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:46 am
In the photo where the green arrow is, there should be what you call a "grate". It maybe hinged at the bottom, therefore the top should open down, at which point there should be a metal plate somewhere listing details such as model number, serial number and other important details. If the panel hasn't been open in some time, the heat/cold, may have distorted it somewhat and it maybe difficult to open the first time around.

Personally, I don't like to have an open flame of this magnitude, when I'm either close by, or not at home, being asleep is like not being at home. I exclude pilot lights as they're small enough and contained. It boils down to how much risk you're willing to take.

Also keep in mind that if natural gas is included.. and the cost of natural gas for all townhouses double, they may amend the fees to adjust for the major increase in cost.
Well in BC pretty much everyone in a strata who has a fireplace does this, so me not doing it will just hurt me in the end as I can tell you all the other units are using their fireplaces like crazy and probably been doing it for years(building been around for 25 years) and my maintenance fees are just going to keep going up if I am doing it or not.

I was able to pull out the grate and I can see what looks off the gas shut off but I cannot see any markings of model number, I going to check again and maybe post a picture.

Well the flame is enclosed in the casing of the fireplace and the glass so to me it is not really "open", I think the biggest issue would be a gas leak?
jmikelittle wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:41 am
I'm reluctant to do this at my home, but i have a gas furnace as well so the economic need isn't there.

Leaving the fireplace on will likely help lower your heating bill, I'd make sure you have good fire and C02 alarms
Yea that's why I am thinking of doing it, as I am already paying basically for it in my strata fees, so why should I pay twice for heating. I already have a fire alarm but don't think it does C02 which I was thinking of getting. The only other risk that I could see is if while I am sleeping the gas would suddenly start leaking, though I don't know how possible that is if the fireplace is on and burning the gas.
EP32k2 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:07 pm
We got rid of our gas fireplace as it's more of a hazard and we never used it. Having young kids and a burning hot glass is just asking for it.
I don't have kids so that is not a problem.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9163 posts
3256 upvotes
Ottawa
Ventless fireplaces are illegal in Canada and have been for quite some time...I'd be surprised an entire building would not have been retrofitted.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Nov 30, 2011
680 posts
160 upvotes
GTA
xiaobao wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:04 pm
Hi

I am living in a townhouse that has gas fireplace which is included in my maintenance fees, I been using it quite a bit instead of using my base board heaters as I expect almost everyone in my strata is doing as well. .
My mom does this is her strata. Do you have a wall switch for on/off? My mom had her wall switch replaced with a thermostat. She sets it on 85 degrees and the apt is hot all the time. She loves it.

The only problem is the fireplace does not make the crackling so she complements it with the fire log channel from Shaw.
Images
  • IMG_20161218_134748.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2869 posts
768 upvotes
Paris
westcoastyvr wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:10 pm
My mom does this is her strata. Do you have a wall switch for on/off? My mom had her wall switch replaced with a thermostat. She sets it on 85 degrees and the apt is hot all the time. She loves it.

The only problem is the fireplace does not make the crackling so she complements it with the fire log channel from Shaw.
85??? Was your mother born on the sun?
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.