Home & Garden

Does anyone leave their Gas Fireplace on over night?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 10:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1578 posts
151 upvotes
Vancouver
westcoastyvr wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:10 pm
My mom does this is her strata. Do you have a wall switch for on/off? My mom had her wall switch replaced with a thermostat. She sets it on 85 degrees and the apt is hot all the time. She loves it.

The only problem is the fireplace does not make the crackling so she complements it with the fire log channel from Shaw.
Yes mine is turned on/off by a wall switch and does sort of look like your moms. I was thinking of replacing the wall switch with something like a smart switch or something that I could control with my phone or something like what you mom has done. Did she have to get someone in to do it? Is there away to turn it off if need be? does she keep it on all day and night?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1123 posts
71 upvotes
Here
xiaobao wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:27 am
Yes mine is turned on/off by a wall switch and does sort of look like your moms. I was thinking of replacing the wall switch with something like a smart switch or something that I could control with my phone or something like what you mom has done. Did she have to get someone in to do it? Is there away to turn it off if need be? does she keep it on all day and night?
It's literally two wires. You don't need to turn the gas off - at least I didn't.

Mine is connected to a thermostat with a mercury switch. I had a hard time finding anything that was programmable that would work with a gas fireplace.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
batcave wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:40 pm
It's literally two wires. You don't need to turn the gas off - at least I didn't.

Mine is connected to a thermostat with a mercury switch. I had a hard time finding anything that was programmable that would work with a gas fireplace.
Both of mine are wired to programmable t-stats. You just need to wire it for heat only. Literally any t-stat will work for mine.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1123 posts
71 upvotes
Here
Jerico wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:51 pm
Both of mine are wired to programmable t-stats. You just need to wire it for heat only. Literally any t-stat will work for mine.
Which brand, model did you use? I think I tried one but it wouldn't work.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
batcave wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:53 pm
Which brand, model did you use? I think I tried one but it wouldn't work.
I bought a POS from the restore first. Right now a Noma downstairs and a Honeywell upstairs. Neither were costly as they were closeouts or whatever as they didnt need to be high end or wifi. You just need to wire red and white on the tstat for heat only (I am 99% sure its red and white). As far a I know all fireplaces use 24v like a furnace.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1123 posts
71 upvotes
Here
Jerico wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:56 pm
I bought a POS from the restore first. Right now a Noma downstairs and a Honeywell upstairs. Neither were costly as they were closeouts or whatever as they didnt need to be high end or wifi. You just need to wire red and white on the tstat for heat only (I am 99% sure its red and white). As far a I know all fireplaces use 24v like a furnace.
I thought so too, but mine is millivolt.
Nov 30, 2011
680 posts
160 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:17 am
85??? Was your mother born on the sun?
LOL.

She's 81 years old and constantly complains about being cold. I swelter when I go to visit.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
westcoastyvr wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:51 pm
LOL.

She's 81 years old and constantly complains about being cold. I swelter when I go to visit.
I enjoy heat as well but even when I'm sick and have that "cold to the bone" feeling in winter I rarely go past 72 on the furnace and the odd 74 on the fireplace (when I'm really freezing)

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1578 posts
151 upvotes
Vancouver
Jerico wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:56 pm
can you link which ones you used?

So I am guessing your fireplace is then on pretty much 24/7? Even when your not at home?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
xiaobao wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:01 pm
can you link which ones you used?

So I am guessing your fireplace is then on pretty much 24/7? Even when your not at home?
I have it set to come on in the morning or turn itself off at night. The one in the basement during change over seasons runs a lot as the upstairs is warmed by the sun but the basement is cold.

Literally any thermostat on the market is what I have used so long as your fireplace is 24v not minivolt.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1578 posts
151 upvotes
Vancouver
Jerico wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:03 pm
I have it set to come on in the morning or turn itself off at night. The one in the basement during change over seasons runs a lot as the upstairs is warmed by the sun but the basement is cold.

Literally any thermostat on the market is what I have used so long as your fireplace is 24v not minivolt.
Ah so you dont' actually keep it on at night. Any reason why? I will have to check what mine is.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
xiaobao wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:26 pm
Ah so you dont' actually keep it on at night. Any reason why? I will have to check what mine is.
I do leave the basement one on at night to maintain a minimum temperature. And they burn when we are not home as well to heat up the immediate living space for when we arrive home from work.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1578 posts
151 upvotes
Vancouver
Jerico wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 5:57 pm
I do leave the basement one on at night to maintain a minimum temperature. And they burn when we are not home as well to heat up the immediate living space for when we arrive home from work.
ah, good to know, how long you been doing this, never thought my question would be so slip on if you should run it while sleeping or not.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1604 posts
441 upvotes
Mississauga
As mentioned above, any thermostat will work when wired for heat only.

My fireplace had a two wire wall switch and I initially replaced it with an old analog thermostat. Then I swapped in a Nest 2 thermostat that I had as a spare. I recently linked it to my Google home so I can use voice to activate it. "Hey Google, Turn on the fireplace"Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2861 posts
765 upvotes
Paris
xiaobao wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:53 pm
ah, good to know, how long you been doing this, never thought my question would be so slip on if you should run it while sleeping or not.
10 years and change.