Parenting & Family

Does anyone not get the flu vaccine for their kids?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2017 10:10 am
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
21994 posts
1947 upvotes

Does anyone not get the flu vaccine for their kids?

I'm generally against the flu vaccine for myself. I'm not an anti-vaxxer, but I do prefer to not over-do it with vaccines and prefer to keep them a minimum. I've never in my life had the flu and never had a flu shot, so the way I see it is that my body is doing something right so I don't want to screw with that process.

Now that I've got a young one in the house, things change. It's not about me or my slight paranoia anymore, it's bigger than that. I'm still reluctant to give him the vaccine, although I can't give any rational reason why other than I'm not trusting of anything the government says or promotes. But as it's not about me, I'm going to give him the flu vaccine, although I'll never feel good about it.

Anyone choose not to vaccinate your kids?
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
99 replies
Jan 2, 2015
872 posts
292 upvotes
Just the opposite. I was a non flu vaccinators before kids. Primarily because I am personally very needle phobic.

When I had kids, our paediatrician and pretty much every health care person we knew told us to. There were a couple of years especially when they were really young, bad flus were going around (h1n1) was one of them. One year pretty much every child who didn't in our baby group had the flu. The ones that had the shot, didn't have any issues and it was pretty mild or didn't get it at all. 3 out of 3 that didn't have th shot their little ones ended up in the hospital for dehydration.

It seems anecdotal, but we have never had any major problems since getting the flu shot. It also important that the adults get it done too.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13608 posts
4204 upvotes
I have never personally met an individual involved in the medical field who has told me not to get the flu shot, or not to give it to our little one. When I ask them if their child receives it, they all say yes. This, combined with all the medical evidence supporting it, is good enough for me. I do not know if I have seen any credible medical evidence not to.

Remember that vaccinating your child also helps protect children who may not be able to be vaccinated and those children who were vaccinated but the vaccine was not effective (there will be a percentage of children who receive the vaccine and it is not effective). Vaccinations are about more than protecting an individual, it is about protecting everyone.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2005
14913 posts
1050 upvotes
Thornhill
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 31st, 2016 10:31 pm
Remember that vaccinating your child also helps protect children who may not be able to be vaccinated and those children who were vaccinated but the vaccine was not effective (there will be a percentage of children who receive the vaccine and it is not effective). Vaccinations are about more than protecting an individual, it is about protecting everyone.
Well said. Our kid is getting her shot from the pediatrician in a few weeks.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13095 posts
631 upvotes
While I have nothing against vaccines, I have not, nor have our kids, had a flu shot.

The last time my wife had a flu shot was the year of H1N1...and she was the one that got hammered to the point she couldn't get out of bed to see a doctor (for risk of puking/crapping) all over everyone. Ended up having a doctor visit the house.

The flu shot is a guess on the part of the manufacturer...they really don't know what strain will hit.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5049 posts
560 upvotes
Hey Shaner . How is fatherhood treating you so far?

Just for what it is worth, we have never given our boys the flu shot, and don't intend to. That being said, my sister is a Naturalpathic Doctor, an she keeps our kids (and hers) on a pretty good vitamin, probiotics, and nutrient plan that keeps thier immune systems up. Now, my boys have been sick, even if you get the flu shot you can still get sick, but the oldest has only had 1 good flu in 4 years.

Anyway, whatever you choose is right for you and your family, good luck.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2440 posts
103 upvotes
GTA
For those that will give their kids the flu shot, I'm not sure if you're aware but it can be administered by a nasal spray instead which is obviously preferable for most children. In Ontario, you used to have to pay as it wasn't covered by OHIP, but starting last year it was covered and still is this year. Supply is always limited as compared to the shot however, so you should call ahead to ensure your doctor (or whomever you use to administer the vaccine) has it in stock and on hold for you.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
4427 posts
570 upvotes
I will never understand why some people will take their own sparse, anecdotal experience over the advice of scientists and doctors who are either studying large populations or in the trenches every day. No, the flu shot isn't guaranteed to work, but the evidence we have points to having a net beneficial effect. Got mine, with my wife and son at the doctors the other day. Took all of 5 minutes. Might we still get the flu? Maybe. Any harm done? Nope. Risk reduction? Yes.
May 12, 2009
639 posts
129 upvotes
The_Professor wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2016 1:53 pm
For those that will give their kids the flu shot, I'm not sure if you're aware but it can be administered by a nasal spray instead which is obviously preferable for most children. In Ontario, you used to have to pay as it wasn't covered by OHIP, but starting last year it was covered and still is this year. Supply is always limited as compared to the shot however, so you should call ahead to ensure your doctor (or whomever you use to administer the vaccine) has it in stock and on hold for you.
Apparently the nasal spray is not effective:

Note: For the 2016-2017 season, CDC recommends use of the flu shot (inactivated influenza vaccine or IIV) and the recombinant influenza vaccine (RIV). The nasal spray flu vaccine (live attenuated influenza vaccine or LAIV) should not be used during 2016-2017. The 2016-2017 influenza vaccination recommendations are now available.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/nasalspray.htm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5049 posts
560 upvotes
Kohanz wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2016 2:18 pm
I will never understand why some people will take their own sparse, anecdotal experience over the advice of scientists and doctors who are either studying large populations or in the trenches every day. No, the flu shot isn't guaranteed to work, but the evidence we have points to having a net beneficial effect. Got mine, with my wife and son at the doctors the other day. Took all of 5 minutes. Might we still get the flu? Maybe. Any harm done? Nope. Risk reduction? Yes.
One doctor says take it, another says don't. Who do you listen too? At the end of the day the decision is yours.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
4427 posts
570 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2016 2:35 pm
Kohanz wrote:
One doctor says take it, another says don't. Who do you listen too? At the end of the day the decision is yours.
Would love to see a source citing that half of doctors are against the flu vaccine.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5049 posts
560 upvotes
Kohanz wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2016 2:44 pm
Gutty96 wrote:
Kohanz wrote:
Would love to see a source citing that half of doctors are against the flu vaccine.
Did I say half? Sorry was implying that some advise for it, others don't. I don't recall giving a percentage. Since you brought it up, can you provide a source where 100% of doctors recommend the flu shot? Or is that just silly?

Point is doctors once told woman that smoking a couple of cigarettes a day isn't a big deal when pregnant. Should they have listened, just because a doctor said so?

Remember, times are changing.....
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
4427 posts
570 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2016 2:49 pm
Kohanz wrote:
Gutty96 wrote:

Did I say half? Sorry was implying that some advise for it, others don't. I don't recall giving a percentage. Since you brought it up, can you provide a source where 100% of doctors recommend the flu shot? Or is that just silly?
Of course the majority of doctors are for the flu vaccine. Why else would public health officials mandate it for healthcare workers? Do you believe it's some small minority pushing an ill-advised vaccine upon the masses?
Gutty96 wrote:
Point is doctors once told woman that smoking a couple of cigarettes a day isn't a big deal when pregnant. Should they have listened, just because a doctor said so?

Your anecdote could literally be used to reject any medical knowledge or advice in history. Your "point" is to say that doctors are sometimes wrong, so why listen to them?!

The tricky thing with the flu vaccine is that it's not a decision that just affects the individual. The effectiveness of the vaccine depends on how many people take it, so not getting the vaccine is hardly an isolated decision.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5049 posts
560 upvotes
Kohanz wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2016 2:55 pm
Gutty96 wrote:
Kohanz wrote:

Of course the majority of doctors are for the flu vaccine. Why else would public health officials mandate it for healthcare workers? Do you believe it's some small minority pushing an ill-advised vaccine upon the masses?
Gutty96 wrote:

Your anecdote could literally be used to reject any medical knowledge or advice in history. Your "point" is to say that doctors are sometimes wrong, so why listen to them?!

The tricky thing with the flu vaccine is that it's not a decision that just affects the individual. The effectiveness of the vaccine depends on how many people take it, so not getting the vaccine is hardly an isolated decision.
So now it is just majority? Remember 51% is a majority. And no, I don't believe it is minority that pushes it, and of course I don't think the ratio is in my favor. I do believe it will be soon though, as this silly practice is just a waste of time and money.

Again, if you want to get it, then do it. I would rather just live healthy then depend on some shot that Walmart gives out. The nice thing is, I don't get sick, and apparently you don't either. So we both win.

Have a good afternoon.
Last edited by Gutty96 on Nov 2nd, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 27, 2015
126 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have a question. Do you have a choice in the matter if your child goes to school? Is it mandatory for the child to be vaccinated regardless on whether you believe it is good for them or not. Thanks