Parenting & Family

Does anyone not get the flu vaccine for their kids?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2017 10:10 am
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15153 posts
1102 upvotes
Thornhill
KingAli wrote:
Nov 5th, 2016 9:17 pm
Poutinesauce wrote:
Nov 5th, 2016 6:28 pm
I never did and never will, it's all a government scam for more control through fearmongering. The "brilliant doctors and scientists" who are all for this are all in a vertically and horizontally controlled industry and depend on saying yes to anything the government wants to hear to keep getting grants and not be out of a job, so I don't care about their "enlightened" opinions.

The flu vaccine is a laughable flop with almost no effectiveness, the only ones who win in this are the government and the shareholders of the vaccine manufacturers:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... -flop.aspx

The real issue is the laughable, Dickensian states of hygiene in hospitals and hospices that allow these infections to spread in the first place. Every time you go in a hospital it's disgusting and dirty and it's cleaned awfully, because the unionized worker who takes care of this knows he can never be fired, so he doesn't care about the health of the ill and the elderly.

A flu vaccine guilt trip is a cop out to the real problems. Do you think that if all these union bozos would keep their job if they were on the private sectors and worked in a shopping mall, in a office building... anywhere else than at the government? If they were kicked out and these were contracts given to private firms who could be kicked out if they are incompetent, you would see these issues drastically improve instantly, and less elderly with vulnerable immune systems getting infected.
I am glad us RFD'ers use reputable websites like mercola.com to support our conspiracies! It sounds like you have a negative opinion about everything.
You never know what's real or fake. For example, I found out that the Beatles never existed: http://www.thebeatlesneverexisted.com/

Edit: more here: http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/ ... y-theories

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13191 posts
666 upvotes
Gidget wrote:
Nov 5th, 2016 1:03 pm
nalababe wrote:
Nov 5th, 2016 12:49 pm
It is still a best guess based on what they think will happen months upon months away. Yes, it is a guess, based on information analysis, but still a guess.
Yes bit it an "educated" guess.
But in the end it is still a best guess. This isn't a vaccine that is specifically targeted this is more akin to taking a shotgun approach - aim where you think your target may be located.

If you go to the federal or provincial sites, they will tell you that the Vaccine is 60-80 effective in any given year. Great right? Well that depends doesn't it. If the 20-40% are far more virulent, then that is a big miss...say like H1N1.

I have had the flu shot...in other years I don't. I cannot say that any year is better or worse as far as my health as really, I'd bet the other factors: sleep, general health (nutrition, fitness), being happy are just as important to me being able fight off illness...
May 28, 2012
9434 posts
1778 upvotes
Saskatoon
It's a personal choice...we get one every year. There are four flu strains in this year's vaccine.
Nov 30, 2005
548 posts
41 upvotes
The flu shot reduces your 2.5 percent chance of getting the flu to approximately 1 at its best (hence the 60-70 percent figure). Your body your decision.
Apr 4, 2006
413 posts
18 upvotes
Burlington
nalababe wrote:
Nov 6th, 2016 5:27 pm
Gidget wrote:
Nov 5th, 2016 1:03 pm
nalababe wrote:
It is still a best guess based on what they think will happen months upon months away. Yes, it is a guess, based on information analysis, but still a guess.
Yes bit it an "educated" guess.
But in the end it is still a best guess. This isn't a vaccine that is specifically targeted this is more akin to taking a shotgun approach - aim where you think your target may be located.

If you go to the federal or provincial sites, they will tell you that the Vaccine is 60-80 effective in any given year. Great right? Well that depends doesn't it. If the 20-40% are far more virulent, then that is a big miss...say like H1N1.

I have had the flu shot...in other years I don't. I cannot say that any year is better or worse as far as my health as really, I'd bet the other factors: sleep, general health (nutrition, fitness), being happy are just as important to me being able fight off illness...
Yes well then lets just say its an "educated best guess" then. That is, they did't just write down the virus names on paper and put it in a hat and picked the papers out and said that is the vaccine we are going with this year.

As Mars2012 mentions it is a personal choice. I tend to get the flu and it will last for weeks. My husband gets it acutely and within a week he is better. He gets Very sick, so sick that one year he was coming downstairs to the kitchen to get a drink of water and he passed out and fell face down onto our ceramic tiles and broke his nose. Since then We have taken a flu shot every year. Not always effective as you say. 60% effective is better then 0%.
Nov 30, 2005
548 posts
41 upvotes
I think the hesitation that many have, including myself with the flu shot is that while it reduce your overall risk of getting the flu modestly and in some years, none at all (again your overall risk is approx 3% any given year), there is a natural skepticism that questions when we talk about risks, if the manufacturer of said vaccine will fund any meaningful research to study the long term effects of its product. It is simply not in their interest or do so and the government, having taken a stance that the shot has no serious side effects does not want to be in a position where they would be liable for billions/trillions of claims against them. I think as an academic/scientist and even more so a doctor, there is a real chance that you will lose your livelihood if you do go against the establishment on this. Anyways, I try to live a healthy lifestyle and exercise as much as possible. I get sick every now an again but nothing serious. Doesn't really answers the question but for these kind of discussions, I don't think you'll change anyone's minds.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14099 posts
4572 upvotes
nalababe wrote:
No it is not a "guess":

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/guess
Simple Definition of guess

: to form an opinion or give an answer about something when you do not know much or anything about it

: to guess (something) correctly : to make a correct conclusion about (someone or something) by chance

: to suppose or think (something)

There is far too much that goes into the research to be considered a "guess". While you may not agree with their methods, there are thousands of researchers who spend their time on this that are far more educated and experienced than you are. You are discounting their work when you incorrectly identify it as a "guess".
Oct 25, 2016
144 posts
82 upvotes
No one in our house take it. Flu does not kill... I would rather risk getting the flu vs. vacation side effects--especially when the odds of getting the flu is very low and you need the shot every year.

When I was in training and h1n1 started--we were allowed to get the shot before anyone else as we would have a greater exposure to it... I declined and ate garlic each day. 2 out of the 10 people who got the shot--got h1n1... everyone who didn't get the shot were fine.

Your body your choice. Eat healthy and remember it comes down to risk management. The flu is not risky so I don't bother and our family of 5 rarely gets sick
Member since Feb 19, 2008
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3775 posts
730 upvotes
Sask.
ElliottGalt wrote:
Nov 12th, 2016 2:54 am
No one in our house take it. Flu does not kill... I would rather risk getting the flu vs. vacation side effects--especially when the odds of getting the flu is very low and you need the shot every year.

When I was in training and h1n1 started--we were allowed to get the shot before anyone else as we would have a greater exposure to it... I declined and ate garlic each day. 2 out of the 10 people who got the shot--got h1n1... everyone who didn't get the shot were fine.

Your body your choice. Eat healthy and remember it comes down to risk management. The flu is not risky so I don't bother and our family of 5 rarely gets sick
Wow, you should do some further research:

"The total number of adult deaths reported over the 2014/2015 season exceeded those in any previous influenza season (including the pandemic). To date, 270 deaths have been reported from participating provinces and territories for the 2015/2016 influenza season."

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/influenza/flu-stat-eng.php
Oct 25, 2016
144 posts
82 upvotes
Wow, you should do some further research:
Thanks for the link--however I do not fall into the people group that dies. If you look into the numbers, the people who die are sick people who are old.

Be active, eat right--you rarely get sick.
Raise your kids and family to sit on a computer and eat crap, probably will get sick
Get old and eat poor and have low activity... might die.

You cant control your age but you can control your choices
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7216 posts
747 upvotes
GTA
We never used to get a flu shot, but have for the last 4 years after having a baby. We also get her the shot. Although the nasal spray was offered to her, we opted for the shot since the effectiveness of the nasal spray, at least last year in the U.S., was less than 5% and is no longer being recommended in the States.

Since my mother is elderly and not in the best of health I would get it even if I didn't have child to take whatever precautions I could to prevent passing it in to her.
ElliottGalt wrote:
Nov 12th, 2016 12:32 pm
Thanks for the link--however I do not fall into the people group that dies. If you look into the numbers, the people who die are sick people who are old.

Raise your kids and family to sit on a computer and eat crap, probably will get sick

Statistics vary by year. In 2012/2013 in the U.S. it was younger people harder hit with the 20-64 age group accounting for 61% of hospitalizations and 60% of deaths - markedly different than other years. Getting a shot or not is a choice, but it isn't true that only the elderly or those with underlying conditions can get very sick or die because of the flu.

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/ ... eport.html

Being active and eating right can help but the single most important thing to do to prevent getting the flu is washing your hands.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Jun 12, 2009
532 posts
85 upvotes
ElliottGalt wrote:
Nov 12th, 2016 12:32 pm

And what if you were to contract it, but also pass over - due to your body's inability to fight the virus effectively - that particular strain onto the carrier chain that eventually will lead to a senior unlucky enough to succumb to it? I think you miss the point of having flu vaccination: it's not just for you, it's for everyone.

Or look at it this way: several decades from now you might be that senior...
Oct 25, 2016
144 posts
82 upvotes
What if *insert whatever you want*

I try to live by 'what is'.