Parenting & Family

Does anyone not get the flu vaccine for their kids?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2017 10:10 am
Aug 4, 2012
271 posts
121 upvotes
Cambridge
I'm getting into the healthcare system and I've never encountered a professional who says not to get the yearly flu vaccine in Canada unless you have a legitimate medical issue that prevents you from being vaccinated.

Worst case scenario for a healthy adult, it doesn't do anything for you. That's a fantastic worst case scenario. That's why I genuinely don't understand the argument of "live a healthy life and don't get vaccinated" - the ideal is "live a healthy life and get vaccinated". It's actually most beneficial for healthy adults. It doesn't lose potency yearly, you don't "have" to get it every year if you'd like to stop, it doesn't make you sick afterwards. It's free and I'm sure the most hardcore RFDers can find a place that gives you some sort of freebie incentive too.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15928 posts
1840 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
Oct 31st, 2016 6:40 pm
I'm generally against the flu vaccine for myself. I'm not an anti-vaxxer
Flu vaccine is hit or miss ... so I don't bother.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7155 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
I just don't like the idea of many ppl acting like cattle during this time of year, automatically getting the shot like one would automatically put on new underwear after taking a shower. Also, it is false that in the 'worst case' nothing happens: there side effects, some severe, just do a simple google search.

The medical field is not perfect and has agendas, for example, not shutting down sugar, aspartame.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15087 posts
1086 upvotes
Thornhill
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 5:12 am
I just don't like the idea of many ppl acting like cattle during this time of year, automatically getting the shot like one would automatically put on new underwear after taking a shower.
Your respect ended with that last sentence.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13862 posts
4421 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 5:12 am
I just don't like the idea of many ppl acting like cattle during this time of year, automatically getting the shot like one would automatically put on new underwear after taking a shower. Also, it is false that in the 'worst case' nothing happens: there side effects, some severe, just do a simple google search.

The medical field is not perfect and has agendas, for example, not shutting down sugar, aspartame.
Maybe people flock to the flu shot because it is a good thing? The same way we all flock to get our Polio, Measles, etc. vaccinations.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7155 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 1:32 pm
Maybe people flock to the flu shot because it is a good thing? The same way we all flock to get our Polio, Measles, etc. vaccinations.
Really, there is absolutely no discussion and everyone must get it? Maybe for some ppl since they are more susceptible but it's not a blanket application.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13862 posts
4421 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 1:54 pm
Really, there is absolutely no discussion and everyone must get it? Maybe for some ppl since they are more susceptible but it's not a blanket application.
Your reason for not getting it is because "many ppl acting like cattle during this time of year, automatically getting the shot like one would automatically put on new underwear after taking a shower".

This is, in my opinion, not a valid reason. And I provided an example as to why.

If you want to have a discussion about the flu shot pro's and con's that is great. But people flocking to get it is hardly a reason to not get it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7155 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 2:03 pm
Your reason for not getting it is because "many ppl acting like cattle during this time of year, automatically getting the shot like one would automatically put on new underwear after taking a shower".

This is, in my opinion, not a valid reason. And I provided an example as to why.

If you want to have a discussion about the flu shot pro's and con's that is great. But people flocking to get it is hardly a reason to not get it.
Ok, that's a fair comment. I just don't do things because ppl tell me to but I do decide if it's good for me. To the best of my knowledge, I never got the shot and was fine *knock wood*. I'd rather not have foreign substances in my body if what I've been (not) doing is working.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3520 posts
979 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 2:09 pm
I'd rather not have foreign substances in my body ...
that's how I ended up with the kids in the first place ;P

Some years we give them the shot, some years we don't... when they were smaller though, we did all the time - more vulnerable at that age/size to the more severe side effects.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7155 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
wirebound wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 2:27 pm
that's how I ended up with the kids in the first place ;P

Some years we give them the shot, some years we don't... when they were smaller though, we did all the time - more vulnerable at that age/size to the more severe side effects.
Haha, TMI.

I'd think w/ kids I would have to give in and err on the side of caution and get the shots (most/all) of the time. I still don't like the idea of 'religiously' getting them as many ppl like to do.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4082 posts
1001 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ask the wing nuts David and Colette Stephan
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7155 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
airmail wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 11:05 pm
Ask the wing nuts David and Colette Stephan
Are you srsly trying to equate the flu vs meningitis, the latter of which has ~100 TIMES the death rate? Also, the poor kid was only 19 mths' old, gotta take every precaution in that case.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15928 posts
1840 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 11:05 pm
Are you srsly trying to equate the flu vs meningitis, the latter of which has ~100 TIMES the death rate? Also, the poor kid was only 19 mths' old, gotta take every precaution in that case.
Flu death rate is around 1.4 per 100,000; meningitis is around 3.5 per 100,000, so it's not 100x?

But I guess the difference is the meningitis is deadly if untreated and has some serious side effects. Flu deaths are pretty random.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13862 posts
4421 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 2:09 pm
Ok, that's a fair comment. I just don't do things because ppl tell me to but I do decide if it's good for me. To the best of my knowledge, I never got the shot and was fine *knock wood*. I'd rather not have foreign substances in my body if what I've been (not) doing is working.
The problem is also that you may infect others who, for one reason or another, were unable to get a flu shot or it was not effective (as no vaccine is 100% effective). Even if you are confident that you will be fine without it, others may not be fine when you choose not to get it. This is how we are able to virtually eradicate certain diseases in Canada - when the rate of vaccination is extremely high even those that could not have the vaccine or those that it did not work on, are pretty safe.

This is a major reason people are so against the "anti-vaxxers" - because their decisions can affect others, not just their own children.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2004
22136 posts
2058 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Nov 17th, 2016 1:00 pm
Flu death rate is around 1.4 per 100,000; meningitis is around 3.5 per 100,000, so it's not 100x?

But I guess the difference is the meningitis is deadly if untreated and has some serious side effects. Flu deaths are pretty random.
Stats on the flu are completely meaningless and not reliable whatsoever. I recently had what I thought was a bad cold. Maybe it was the flu, maybe it was a bad cold, I really don't know nor do I care. I got over it without going to my doctor or the ER, just like I have every other time I got sick. I have never once reported it to anyone. A lot of people are the same way. Even when they have a bad flu, they don't report it to anyone. Although officials may try to account for unreported cases, they really have no idea how many cases of the flu there are every year.

Bacterial meningitis is always serious and can be fatal even if treated early. Comparing the flu and meningitis makes no sense
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details