Parenting & Family

Does anyone not get the flu vaccine for their kids?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2017 10:10 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8997 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
I agree that there is some kind of business arrangement with the supplier. Where's wikileaks when you need it? How come this isn't a global thing? Is it that common to push this in all the other provinces? The US? Europe? I'm sure it's around, but I bet the (pressure to get one) Ontario one is beyond reasonable.

Cases such as:
Last year’s flu shot was a bust, Canadian researchers say
In 2014-15, the vaccine was less than 10-per-cent effective in preventing cases of flu. Scientists say that’s the lowest effectiveness rate in a decade of monitoring.

There is a big hint of desperation by the Government if it doesn't go their way. It's like some kind of cult or something. Ohh, barely anybody got the flu last year but don't let that stop you. You should get it!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
6781 posts
720 upvotes
Toronto
I found that the death rate for meningitis is 100x higher vs flu...something like 10pc vs 1.x pc, different sources. Anyway...

Ya, it's a business so telling ppl to basically automatically get it is a no go for me. Use your own brain/analysis.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6465 posts
161 upvotes
I think my kid has only gotten a flu shot once when the big pandemic scare was on. All the other vaccines are up to date. Flu shot effectiveness is marginal at best
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2902 posts
333 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
The_Professor wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 8:24 am
Unvaccinated children account for majority of pediatric flu deaths: study http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/unvaccinat ... -1.3352354
FTA:
Death from flu is generally uncommon, but new U.S. research has found that when children do die of the flu, it is likely that they have not been vaccinated.
They found that only 26 per cent of the children who died had been vaccinated against influenza.In all, 153 of the children who died had underlying high-risk medical conditions, such as asthma, blood and endocrine disorders, or neurological problems. Even among them, only 31 per cent had been vaccinated.
People who do not get their already VULNERABLE WITH UNDERLYING PROBLEMS children vaccinated are the problem. So far we have been blessed with a healthy family. I see no reason to get my kids vaxxed for the flu. The kids also do not go to the doctor every time they get sniffles or anything unless it gets serious, we do not use antibacterial soaps, nor do we panic when they are around other sick kids for the same reasons: The kids immune system needs to evolve with them to become strong and self-sufficient. One of the best examples of this is the late great George Carlin NSFW
Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7179 posts
726 upvotes
GTA
willdacanucker wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 8:40 am
FTA:

People who do not get their already VULNERABLE WITH UNDERLYING PROBLEMS children vaccinated are the problem. So far we have been blessed with a healthy family. I see no reason to get my kids vaxxed for the flu.
The study showed those with underlying conditions were at a higher risk, but it didn't in any way show that healthy children were not at risk. The flu shot is a personal choice and if someone doesn't feel it is right for their family, that is their decision, but the study showed many of the victims of the flu were also healthy children with no underlying medical conditions as well as showing that there are low vaccination rates for both groups.

The study showed 53% of the deaths occurred in children with underlying medical conditions. In 47% of deaths there were no medical conditions. Still, significant.

135 deaths occurred in kids with no underlying medical conditions and they had a 20% vaccination rate

153 deaths occurred in kids with one or more underlying medical conditions and they had a 31% vaccination rate.

Fortunately flu deaths are rare, but sadly they do happen with or without medical conditions and in a small amount of cases even with the vaccination (even in completely healthy children).

The study found the flu vaccine could prevent 65% of pediatric deaths. (Edit, I read that statistic in another article, but reading the actual study below it says this):

Best estimates based on NHIS survey data suggested that vaccination reduced the risk of influenza-associated death by half among children with high-risk conditions and by nearly two-thirds among children without high-risk conditions.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... .2016-4244
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2946 posts
995 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I got my daughter vaccinated with all the usual vaccines (she's 24 now), but I never have bothered with the flu vaccine for her or myself.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9092 posts
3341 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I get my kids all the required school vaccinations but not the optional flu shot. The long term consequences of artificially stimulating our delicate immune system on an annual basis is not clear.

I will also have them get the HPV vaccine. HPV induced oral cancer is on the rise and the treatment is brutal with permanent side effects.
Jan 9, 2011
556 posts
262 upvotes
Vancouver
Measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, HPV, all the important vaccinations, yes of course my kids have had them. Once or twice for a lifetime of protection against serious infections is just a no-brainer. But we don't bother with flu shots. Having to trundle down every year for a shot that only offers marginal protection for an illness that really isn't that serious isn't worth the hassle.

I had the worst flu of my life in 2014. I had to miss 5 weeks of work. That was one of the rare years where I had actually opted for the flu shot.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13576 posts
4181 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 12:52 pm
Measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, HPV, all the important vaccinations, yes of course my kids have had them. Once or twice for a lifetime of protection against serious infections is just a no-brainer. But we don't bother with flu shots. Having to trundle down every year for a shot that only offers marginal protection for an illness that really isn't that serious isn't worth the hassle.

I had the worst flu of my life in 2014. I had to miss 5 weeks of work. That was one of the rare years where I had actually opted for the flu shot.
You do realize that things like the flu shot and other vaccinations are done not only to protect the individual, but all of society? To use the excuse "...marginal protection for an illness that really isn't that serious..." completely discounts the fact that your child may spread it to others where it is serious.

Everyone is able to make their own choice, but don't kid yourself, you are getting the flu shot to also benefit those that are vulnerable and could die.
Jan 9, 2011
556 posts
262 upvotes
Vancouver
TrevorK wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 1:37 pm
You do realize that things like the flu shot and other vaccinations are done not only to protect the individual, but all of society? To use the excuse "...marginal protection for an illness that really isn't that serious..." completely discounts the fact that your child may spread it to others where it is serious.

Everyone is able to make their own choice, but don't kid yourself, you are getting the flu shot to also benefit those that are vulnerable and could die.
I do buy that argument for vaccines against serious diseases. But I don't buy it for flu shots.
Nov 13, 2013
586 posts
197 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 2:06 pm
I do buy that argument for vaccines against serious diseases. But I don't buy it for flu shots.
Doesn't the flu kill more than all other vaccine preventable diseases combined?
I don't get it either, mostly because it is not mandatory, but I think it makes sense for some.
Jan 16, 2007
557 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
I see flu shots are more like car insurance. I've never been in a car accident in my life, but I still need car insurance. But in this case, the insurance is free to buy!!!
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13576 posts
4181 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 2:06 pm
Why?

Do you think that people do not die from the flu?
Do you think that the flu shot is not effective against the strains it is designed for?

Why are you accepting of the reasoning for more "common" vaccines as opposed to the flu shot? I find it odd that you're onboard with the logic / reasoning but do not apply it to the flu so am curious why.
Jan 9, 2011
556 posts
262 upvotes
Vancouver
TrevorK wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:49 pm
Why?

Do you think that people do not die from the flu?
Do you think that the flu shot is not effective against the strains it is designed for?

Why are you accepting of the reasoning for more "common" vaccines as opposed to the flu shot? I find it odd that you're onboard with the logic / reasoning but do not apply it to the flu so am curious why.
I have a list.

1. Serious diseases like measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, etc can affect everybody very seriously; both those with and those without compromised immune systems.
  2. The vaccines mentioned above are get it once (or with the occasional booster down the road, if needed at all) and you're protected for a lifetime.
  3. Vaccines for the diseases mentioned above are pretty much 100% effective. There is no reason not to get them.
  4. The flu vaccine is only effective against certain strains of flu. Which strains? The ones that epidemiologists guess will likely be the ones that will be spreading NEXT flu season and that they put into the vaccine. Sometimes they guess right. Sometimes they guess it wrong. This year (2016-17) the effectiveness level is at 42%. In 2015-16 it was 45%. In 2014-15 it was 0%. I don't know what the effectiveness of the 2013-2014 flu shot was, but I did get the flu shot that year, and a month later contracted the worst flu of my life. I had to miss FIVE weeks of work.
  5. The flu vaccine, unlike the others, must be received every year.
  6. The flu, while not pleasant (I had a 3-week long version last year in addition to the 2014 one I already mentioned) is just not as serious as the diseases mentioned above.
  7. My provincial medical plan considers the flu shot to be of such little value to the general public, that it won't even pay for you to have it, unless you have a compromised immune system or work with those who do.

All of that said, I did get the flu shot this year. But my wife never gets it, and I have never given it to my children.