• Feb 25th, 2011 11:57 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 7, 2009
138 posts
14 upvotes

Does Bestbuy sell refurb xbox 360's?

i just bought an xbox 360 4gb slim today.

the manufacture date was 11-20-2010.

my friend bought one about 2 months ago. his console was wrapped in like a white cloth like foam.

mine was just in a plastic bag.

his had a plastic cap on the power prong, mine did not

and one of my bags (for the component) cables the tape was ripped off.

the xbox had tape on it that was the same as the other xbox's and mine had the sticker across the CD TRAY that said "do not move console when on"

does best buy factory reseal open box items?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1251 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto
No they don't, open boxes will be labeled open boxes. Refurbs will be labeled refurbs on the outside or would be in a different box. Unless it was an error in the clerk that returned it, he/she must of thought that the console was new and un opened, hence why it wouldn't be an open box.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19019 posts
1473 upvotes
If it works, looks as-new, and has valid warranty, then who cares?

Just make sure the serial # on it matches the one on your receipt and you wont have any problems.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2639 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
xsabrewulf wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 12:43 am

does best buy factory reseal open box items?

I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Although this wasn't bestbuy, I've bought items at futureshop where I've found used cameras in their unsealed boxes. Fortunately, I checked it out in front of the salesperson, then and there, and had them exchange it for an unopened item.

Another funny thing at futureshop. I went to return a camcorder. The manager said there was a scratch on it and would not accept it. Fair enough... She even asked "how much would I pay if I saw a scratch on it?" I replied, "not full price because its refurbished and not new" She didn't say anything after that.

I honestly believe futureshop/bestbuy sell returned goods as new.
Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
pipolchap wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 10:00 am
I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Although this wasn't bestbuy, I've bought items at futureshop where I've found used cameras in their unsealed boxes. Fortunately, I checked it out in front of the salesperson, then and there, and had them exchange it for an unopened item.

Another funny thing at futureshop. I went to return a camcorder. The manager said there was a scratch on it and would not accept it. Fair enough... She even asked "how much would I pay if I saw a scratch on it?" I replied, "not full price because its refurbished and not new" She didn't say anything after that.

I honestly believe futureshop/bestbuy sell returned goods as new.

Alot of things like this vary from store to store. Sadly, it really depends on who the manager of the store is and also the district manager.
The store I worked at was very good and we (at least in the computer department) would always put OB items aside. Usually you restort to OB items as a way to discount in other services, but again it would depend on who is managing the store and what that manager instructs their employees to do.

I would think in larger populated areas with more potential for returns there would be a higher rate of used items being passed off as new :(
[OP]
Apr 7, 2009
138 posts
14 upvotes
I mean like what lengths do they go to resell them as new. I understand putting opened product on the shelf but the 360 had its seal on the bottom, but one bag was opened like ripped open.

and the sticker on the front of the 360 was still there
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5862 posts
2220 upvotes
Alberta
More than likely they sold you a returned item.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19019 posts
1473 upvotes
xsabrewulf wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 5:43 pm
I mean like what lengths do they go to resell them as new. I understand putting opened product on the shelf but the 360 had its seal on the bottom, but one bag was opened like ripped open.

and the sticker on the front of the 360 was still there

Again - as long as it looks and plays fine and the serial number matches the one on your receipt then you shouldn't care one way or the other.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8051 posts
1499 upvotes
Toronto
brunes wrote:
Feb 25th, 2011 6:39 am
Again - as long as it looks and plays fine and the serial number matches the one on your receipt then you shouldn't care one way or the other.

Some people want the peace of mind that they got a new product and not someone else's return that may have been mishandled.