Automotive

Does buying an upper trim level of any vehicle have any benefits?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 8:34 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1182 posts
89 upvotes

such as a middle trim that has a few bells and whistles like leather seatsing and a power opening trunk, vs going all out on a limited trim that has more "stuff", are there any advantages? asside from having more toys. things like boost resale value / more return in the future?

For example im looking at a toyota SUV with the XLE package. another 5 grand more gets you the top end limited with heating steering wheel, pano roof, 360 camera, heated coooled seats and accent lighting. the only reason i like the limited is for the 360 camera and could careless about the others. being able to see exactly how far an object or something is seems really convienet for everyday use. but to spend 5000 more for that seems dumb. Would there be any actual other benefits to go for a higher trim level vehicle?
51 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1122 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What is cooled seats lol
Oh sorry..this is queens country.....
Those delicate [...] women, they have so.soft skin...oh my... They can't withstand the heat of july and aug.. so unfair....
Yeah we need cooled seats...
Last edited by Mars2012 on Nov 14th, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: reported/racial reference removed
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15786 posts
4688 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't care much for the features and tech, but went up near the top trim for the more powerful engine.
Jan 15, 2017
603 posts
404 upvotes
Depends on the vehicle as it can affect resale value. Buick, for instance, introduced the new Avenir segment on its Enclave as it claimed the vast majority of its Enclaves sold were top line models. Not much demand for lower optioned models which may make them more difficult to sale on the used market.

I do think though that the Highlander XLE is a popular model.
Jan 15, 2017
603 posts
404 upvotes
CocoJambo wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 8:05 pm
What is cooled seats lol
Oh sorry..this is queens country.....
Those delicate [...] women, they have so.soft skin...oh my... They can't withstand the heat of july and aug.. so unfair....
Yeah we need cooled seats...
So not funny.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Nov 14th, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit in quote
Jul 19, 2004
658 posts
46 upvotes
Vancouver
The only thing I really want are leather seats but for some reason they are only available in the top top trim level now which can be like 10k difference from the base model
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16317 posts
1076 upvotes
Woodbridge
I always try to buy the highest trim I can afford because I don't want any regrets.

Take my 2017 Nissan Murano, I got the SL AWD, for $5k more back then I thought some of the features like Adaptive Cruise Control wasn't worth it but after using it on my CivicX now I wish I got the Platinum trim.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5276 posts
1316 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Work within your budget and determine your must-haves, after that it's just bells and whistles.

Sure we'd all love 18" alloy rims, and turbo, and LED displays & lighting, and etc etc... but you got to work within your budget. Sometimes an extra $5k is just not worth it on a depreciating asset.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
2511 posts
1644 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Get the trim that will make you enjoy the vehicle the most.

Higher trims hardly help resale value at all unless you get something major with it like a better engine. Let's say you pay between 2-4k for a higher trim, the resale difference will be 1k at best.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1182 posts
89 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:04 pm
I always try to buy the highest trim I can afford because I don't want any regrets.

Take my 2017 Nissan Murano, I got the SL AWD, for $5k more back then I thought some of the features like Adaptive Cruise Control wasn't worth it but after using it on my CivicX now I wish I got the Platinum trim.
chimaican wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:24 pm
Work within your budget and determine your must-haves, after that it's just bells and whistles.

Sure we'd all love 18" alloy rims, and turbo, and LED displays & lighting, and etc etc... but you got to work within your budget. Sometimes an extra $5k is just not worth it on a depreciating asset.
er34er34 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:29 pm
Get the trim that will make you enjoy the vehicle the most.

Higher trims hardly help resale value at all unless you get something major with it like a better engine. Let's say you pay between 2-4k for a higher trim, the resale difference will be 1k at best.
Id be satisfied with an XLE mid range trim. would i be happy with a limited? o for sure, blue accent lighting, pano roof and wood grain trimming really sets off the interior. biggest thing for me is the 360 camera. im still learning my "parking" and going throgh tight spaces. that and i plan on keeping this for like 5 years.

there arent any major "upgrades". has same V6 engine. i can see how a limited wouldnt attract or fetch more buyers since its all minor. sound system is boosted from 8 to 12 speaker JBL but ive read people werent "wowed" by it like a BOSE system would. only things i hate on the limited is the palstic hub caps on the wheels. the XLE has nice solid alumnimum rims. and no bench seat option, only captain chairs.

the issue isnt necessarily price, but more so whether im doing soething stupid and blowing 5510 dollars on toys, er per say the 360 camera i wanted to improve my driving accuracy for parking. sounds silly i know.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5276 posts
1316 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:39 pm
Id be satisfied with an XLE mid range trim. would i be happy with a limited? o for sure, blue accent lighting, pano roof and wood grain trimming really sets off the interior. biggest thing for me is the 360 camera. im still learning my "parking" and going throgh tight spaces. that and i plan on keeping this for like 5 years.

there arent any major "upgrades". has same V6 engine. i can see how a limited wouldnt attract or fetch more buyers since its all minor. sound system is boosted from 8 to 12 speaker JBL but ive read people werent "wowed" by it like a BOSE system would. only things i hate on the limited is the palstic hub caps on the wheels. the XLE has nice solid alumnimum rims. and no bench seat option, only captain chairs.

the issue isnt necessarily price, but more so whether im doing soething stupid and blowing 5510 dollars on toys, er per say the 360 camera i wanted to improve my driving accuracy for parking. sounds silly i know.
Sounds like you already know your answer. Learn to park and go with the XLE.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5539 posts
1363 upvotes
It depends on the vehicle and the price of the upgrade package (trim level) inclusions.
When I bought my RAV 4 Hybrid back in the Spring of this year - the upgrade to XLE was a no brainer i.e. only $1500 and that bought pwr sunroof, pwr hatch, rear cross traffic alert + some minor trim tweaks that I can live without.
The upgrade to the Limited or Sport packages were not worth the extra cost to me - especially since the RAV 4 does not offer leather at any trim level - it's vinyl with a fancy name.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1182 posts
89 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:39 am
It depends on the vehicle and the price of the upgrade package (trim level) inclusions.
When I bought my RAV 4 Hybrid back in the Spring of this year - the upgrade to XLE was a no brainer i.e. only $1500 and that bought pwr sunroof, pwr hatch, rear cross traffic alert + some minor trim tweaks that I can live without.
The upgrade to the Limited or Sport packages were not worth the extra cost to me - especially since the RAV 4 does not offer leather at any trim level - it's vinyl with a fancy name.
According got Toyota the extra 5grand to the limited would get you

Toyota Safety SenseTM P
176-hp, 2.5L, 4-cyl, Dual VVT-i Engine
7.0'' JBL Synthesis Audio System with Navigation, Bluetooth®, Bird's Eye View Monitor, and SIRI Eyes Free
Smart Key with Push Button Start
Power Moonroof
Front and Rear Parking Assist Sonar

Doesn’t seem like 5 grand worth of extras?