• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2012 3:19 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 28, 2006
187 posts
1 upvote

Does Chapters Indigo package well?

I was going to order about $100 worth of books from amazon.ca. Decided to do a bit of research before i completed the order. Seems many people are complaining about them just tossing new books loose in big boxes with no packaging materials. Causing a lot of damage. I can't find anything about chapters. I'm hoping the lack of complaints means they know how to ship properly. Can anyone who has experience with them chime in?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2011
1755 posts
443 upvotes
OllieDixon wrote: I was going to order about $100 worth of books from amazon.ca. Decided to do a bit of research before i completed the order. Seems many people are complaining about them just tossing new books loose in big boxes with no packaging materials. Causing a lot of damage. I can't find anything about chapters. I'm hoping the lack of complaints means they know how to ship properly. Can anyone who has experience with them chime in?
Are you really buying from Chapters? or some amazon seller?
Nov 28, 2006
187 posts
1 upvote
The complaints where about amazon, Not amazon sellers. I plan to buy new books from Chapters

I thought there would be a lot of Chapters shoppers here. hehe

Oh well :\
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
1708 posts
743 upvotes
I have never had any problems with my orders from Chapters/Indigo
But they don't use 'bubble wrap or bubble bags' at least in my orders
Normally they squinch-up brown paper in the box. My max. orders were only 3 books at a time however
I would think IF a problem, it does say on the packing receipt you can go to any Chapters/Indigo store to exchange :)
AND if you are a Chapters Member/Plum Member you get super discounts.
AND for September you can use the additional savings code of SEPT2012 to save $5.00 off your $30 or more purchase!
Aug 21, 2001
131 posts
22 upvotes
When I ordered a single book, both Amazon.ca and Chapters wrapped the book in a corrugated cardboard sleeve. Fat softcover books arrived in pristine condition. This was back in 2010, though. Don't know if things have changed since.

The packaging looked similar to this:
http://www.2021.org/publications/kippenberger/

As mentioned by NoFixedAddress, the $5 off $30 coupon makes Chapters more attractive than Amazon for book purchases, assuming they have it in stock.
Nov 28, 2006
187 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the info and the code guys. Guess ill try em out *shrugs*
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1057 posts
175 upvotes
Vancouver
I've ordered a lot of books from Chapters over the years. (so much that a few years ago they sent me a thank you card and a clock for Christmas :o ) I've never had any issues with the way they have been packed, all books were received in good condition.
I always order my more expensive books >$30 online as they generally give you 34% off and you only need to spend $25 to get free shipping.
Nov 28, 2006
187 posts
1 upvote
Does Chapters Indigo package well? .. No

Ordered 5 books and only one of them is what i would consider a new book. 3 of them have a lot of "chips' and small tears in the spine. One of them pretty badly warped and the back cover looks like its had one of its corners folded pretty badly. Looks worse then some books at Value Village. The ones the come in the folded cardboard "envelopes" are in the best condition. The ones what where just placed in the bottom of a big box with paper on top are the worst.

One more still in the mail. I am going to keep 2 of them and return the rest. *sigh*
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3907 posts
2336 upvotes
Ottawa
Just to point out, in fairness. Some of the books may have been like that before shipped out.
Nov 28, 2006
187 posts
1 upvote
I guess that's fair. If that is the case they defiantly don't pick books id pick of the shelves. In the case of the really bad one i don't know how they would think that was ok to ship at all. It looks like one of the books my wife carries around in her purse all day (with less wear) lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
NONE of the large book companies package well. They're in the business of selling cheap. Taking extra time or spending more on materials is not part of that business. Selling price is everything to them and to the overwhelming majority of their customers.
Jan 23, 2008
123 posts
22 upvotes
Burlington
Akitakara wrote: Just to point out, in fairness. Some of the books may have been like that before shipped out.
+1. I ordered a box set and while the package itself arrived in decent condition, the spines were damaged and torn at the bottom.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
Confused if this thread is about Chapters or Amazon. If it is about Amazon, OP should have NO worries whatsoever. No one packs their stuff better than Amazon. Not to mention the return is hassle-free and no risk.

This is assuming of course you are ordering from Amazon themselves and not a third party seller.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13461 posts
4619 upvotes
GTA
brunes wrote: Confused if this thread is about Chapters or Amazon.
Read the thread title, pretty self-explanatory.

:razz:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: Read the thread title, pretty self-explanatory.

:razz:
The thread title says chapters, the first sentence of the first post says he is ordering from Amazon. Then poster in the second post goes "Are you really buying from Chapters? or some amazon seller?", which is even more confusing. Then OP posts again "The complaints where about amazon, Not amazon sellers. I plan to buy new books from Chapters". Why is he asking about Amazon then?

I don't know if OP is buying from Chapters or Amazon or an Amazon seller. These 3 things are not interchangeable, they're all going to pack things differently.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Nov 28, 2006
187 posts
1 upvote
Title = Does Chapters Indigo package well?
First sentence =
OllieDixon wrote: I was going to order about $100 worth of books from amazon.ca.
As for reading the progression of the thread.. I fail to see how it is confusing. Everyone else seems to have figured it out hehe *shrugs*
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9333 posts
5628 upvotes
brunes wrote: If it is about Amazon, OP should have NO worries whatsoever. No one packs their stuff better than Amazon. Not to mention the return is hassle-free and no risk.

This is assuming of course you are ordering from Amazon themselves and not a third party seller.
+1 for Amazon. I've ordered tons of stuff from there and never have had an issue (even from 3rd party sellers). As for Chapters/Indigo, the only time I'd order from there is if I found I had too much money and needed to help fatten Indigos already inflated profits.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky