Food & Drink

Does coffee have any *expiry* or *best before* date ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2007 11:07 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9389 posts
2775 upvotes
Ottawa

Does coffee have any *expiry* or *best before* date ?

I found a jar of Maxwell House Instant Coffee on the shelf

I believe we have had it for at least 1 and a half years. I looked high and low around the jar to see if there's any *best before* date but didn't see anything.

I opened it and the smell is still good ;-)

I know some of you guys will say throw it away, it's only a few bucks. I know, i know and I probably will, just asking if coffee has any *expiry* date or *best before* ?

Also same question for hot chocolate
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2254 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
Since I like living on the edge, I would still use it if it still tastes good. I never follow the expiry date, I follow my smell and taste.

It makes me laugh that cheese and yogurt has expiry dates when they are purposely aged. :confused:
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17604 posts
737 upvotes
Brampton
Who knows, it tastes like crap any time! :)
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2002
1064 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
pipolchap wrote:
Jan 24th, 2007 1:24 pm
Since I like living on the edge, I would still use it if it still tastes good. I never follow the expiry date, I follow my smell and taste.

It makes me laugh that cheese and yogurt has expiry dates when they are purposely aged. :confused:
well there's good bacteria and there's bacteria that gives you diarrhea for an hour :p

For coffee, I don't think it matters too much, at the worst I think you'll just get a really dull cup
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5429 posts
171 upvotes
BC
i have some instant coffee and it says on the container to use within 6 weeks after opening.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6375 posts
143 upvotes
It wont kill you or even make you sick, but it wont taste as good as fresh coffee...though instant never does anyway
Nov 28, 2006
116 posts
Instant coffee last for years. An opened capped jar survives repeated seasons at unheated cottages. Its great for baking too. Coffeemate and hot choclate last for years also.
× < >