• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2010 6:58 pm
[OP]
Feb 16, 2010
84 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Does cognac go bad?

Stupid question, but i found an old bottle of cognac in my house (I think it was a gift back from 2004) but i never bothered to open it. So it is unopened and nearly 6 years old, and its one of those cheaper types.

http://www.thebeerguy.ca/shop/products/ ... nge_vs.php

I think that's the one.

Anyway i will open it soon, but it doesn't go bad does it?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34679 posts
1562 upvotes
Toronto
Yeh its pretty bad now unfortunately.
I'll gladly take it off your hands and dispose of it properly for you.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4329 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
Like most spirits, cognac if sealed and stored properly it can last indefinitely. Around the 40-50 years the only problem is the cork disintegrating if it has a cork since many cheaper ones might not.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
I'd wager it's fine, as long as you weren't keeping it somewhere damp, humid or sunny
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Nov 29, 2006
222 posts
1 upvote
If exposed to direct sunlight over an extended period of time it might not be so good. If not I wouldn't worry about it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9373 posts
1550 upvotes
Toronto
Oh wow.. My parents have kept a bottle of Remy Martin XO and Henessy XO for 20 years now. Have never even been out of the box.. I wonder how it taste :twisted:
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1768 posts
15 upvotes
I once was accosted by a bottle of Cognac. It used to just sit there on a shelf and just like that, it snapped one day.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
6945 posts
1153 upvotes
Richmond Hill
4flava wrote:
Apr 6th, 2010 12:04 pm
Oh wow.. My parents have kept a bottle of Remy Martin XO and Henessy XO for 20 years now. Have never even been out of the box.. I wonder how it taste :twisted:
No offense but that sounds like a typical fob household. I'm chinese and I'm glad my parents don't just let good cognac sit around.

My friend has a bottle of Remy and Henessy and we don't let that sit around. :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9373 posts
1550 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2010 8:04 pm
No offense but that sounds like a typical fob household. I'm chinese and I'm glad my parents don't just let good cognac sit around.

My friend has a bottle of Remy and Henessy and we don't let that sit around. :cheesygri
Offense taken!!.lol.

Nah, it's cuz my parents don't drink and it would be a waste if I drank it cuz I'm a true beer guy.

Oh, throw in a bottle of the Courvosier XO special that I have lying around. :|
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
6945 posts
1153 upvotes
Richmond Hill
No big loss on the Courvosier...that's like drinking sand paper compared to the hennesy. :D
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
I too have 2 bottles of Hennessy XO sitting there unopened for more than 20 years. The problem is, few (I mean VERY few) people *enjoy* XO on this part of the planet; even I now drink cheap red wine like Fuzion Shiraz Malbec.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4329 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
People enjoy it. The problem is there are many people that get a good spirit for Christmas and never really open it because they dont have it often and collect a stash of unopened bottles, at a rate it will take them more than their lifetime to finish. If they do then they see it as "getting into the hard stuff". Many try to find just the right occasion to open up their liquor but usually that occasion never happens.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
6945 posts
1153 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It is hard liquor no doubt. Try it with some dark chocolate...it's an awesome combination!
× < >