Does Costco do price adjustments?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2016 11:38 am
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
3665 posts
771 upvotes

Does Costco do price adjustments?

I heard an anecdote about how this person bought a product, then a short while later that product went on sale. She went to the customer service desk and asked if she could get the difference back, and they told her no, saying that if she wants to buy the product at the new sale price, she'll have to return the merchandise and buy it again.

This sounds very counterproductive for both Costco and its members. Costco would end up with used goods while the member will have to go through the hassle of returning a product that he/she actually wants. Of course, you could just buy another one and return it with the old receipt, but for big items like TVs or refrigerators, this would also be a huge hassle.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2757 posts
289 upvotes
Montreal
I've seen them match the difference of the price if it goes on sale. I guess it depends on who you get.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
502 upvotes
London
I've done price adjustments before there with no problem. At one point a CSR told me they would price adjust only if their price dropped as in changed, or clearance, but NOT for the instant rebate 'sale that isn't a sale' weekly sale. However, I have had price adjustments when I just bought something and it went on the rebate sale right after. Just need yor original receipt (note you can return without a receipt as they will look it up, but need the original for price adjustments).

If they don't price adjust, just buy another and return it with the first receipt, if it's possible depending on the item.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
929 upvotes
I have done it, never had an issue.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
May 14, 2007
64 posts
Toronto
I bought a speaker over 2 months ago, and then the same speaker as a gift a little over a month ago. The price has now gone down $15. I brought the receipts over and they adjusted the price without any questions.
Mar 1, 2007
108 posts
8 upvotes
GTA
They now have a window of 2 weeks only for price adjustment, after that you have to do the return and buy at the lower price.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2317 posts
576 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
Their policy is 2 weeks, but depending on the CSR, you can definitely do it as long as the item is in stock there.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
502 upvotes
London
kozm wrote:
Nov 27th, 2014 2:59 pm
They now have a window of 2 weeks only for price adjustment, after that you have to do the return and buy at the lower price.
wow.. only two weeks now?

Is it posted anywhere or just another secret policy that they can enforce when they feel like it?
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2341 posts
352 upvotes
I had two of the same item today that I wanted to price adjust. One was purchased on Sept 5th and the other mid-November. When I went to the returns counter I brought my product (both items in original packaging, unused with tags, price, stickers still as purchased) just in case as this is the first time I had done this.

The lady at the counter said for price adjustments, if it is within 30 days of purchase, all I need to bring in is the receipt (product not required) and they will adjust. However, for the item purchased Sept 5th my only option was to return for a refund (in other words, I cannot refund and repurchase at the same time nor will they price adjust outside of the 30 day window). They also mentioned that if I choose to return, they will not resell to me if I cannot find the same colour/size back on the shelf as the return is non-reversible.

I took my chances and ended up with a different colour of the same item but at the lower price.

I'm happy at 30% off what I paid. :)
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2004
1088 posts
123 upvotes
Greater Saskatchewan…
Has anything changed with Costco Price Adjustment policy since the last posting 16 months ago? Thanks in advance.
(I figure it is easier to bump an existing thread than start a new one, which might end up being merged with this one anyways.)
:arrow: If my posting is useful, be sure to hit the THANK-YOU button. :)
:arrow: "They've got guns but we have flowers."
:arrow: "Our one-year-old son will insult you with his happiness and freedom every day." - Antoine Leiris, 2015/11/17
Feb 18, 2013
258 posts
137 upvotes
saskwatcher wrote:
Mar 25th, 2016 10:52 pm
Has anything changed with Costco Price Adjustment policy since the last posting 16 months ago? Thanks in advance.
(I figure it is easier to bump an existing thread than start a new one, which might end up being merged with this one anyways.)
Nope still the same
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10527 posts
1880 upvotes
Toronto
I think Costco's policy makes total sense. As a retailer I also have a price adjustment policy which is time sensitive. Sometimes I get a special buy and that's the reason I can offer the price but I can only offer the price on the quality of product I buy. I didn't get that price on product I bought previously. So to just offer it without any restrictions on previous product purchases just results in margin compression and achieving reasonable margins do you have a viable business is the hallmark of any retailer.

So I applaud Costco in being a prudent retailer and not just offering these price rebates willy-nilly. It's still shocking the return policy is as good as it is and the only reason for that is they are very smart about how they run their business and have achieved economies of scale to allow them to. Still the abuse of that policy that I constantly see is shocking and that policy will likely not last forever as a result.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
2549 posts
328 upvotes
Ottawa
The most important thing is they must have this item in stock, else the answer is no.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2006
1277 posts
243 upvotes
I had no problem with a Costco price adjustment last weekend. Bought a coat rack a few weeks ago for $70 and it was further reduced to $50. I told the CSR that I didn't have the receipt and she was very kind to tell me that she would need to verify I made the original transaction through their computer systems, but so long as I bought a new one that same day, she'd issue me a credit for the old one. The process was a little odd, but since she suggested it, and I was saving $20+, I didn't mind the extra 5 minutes of my time.
× < >