• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2009 1:09 am
Tags:
None
Jul 8, 2005
125 posts
GTA - Durham Region

Does the CRA accept scanned receipts?

Does the CRA accept scanned receipts for proof of expenses for a small business or do they require the originals? We are considering scanning most of our documents and receipts.

Thanks
4 replies
Jan 1, 2009
748 posts
118 upvotes
Vancouver
For a straight forward answer, the Canada Revenue Agency recognizes:
  1. traditional books and records (including supporting source documents) produced and retained in paper format; and
  2. books and records produced and retained in an electronically readable format that can be related back to the supporting source documents and which are supported by a system capable of producing an accessible and useable copy.
[OP]
Jul 8, 2005
125 posts
GTA - Durham Region
This is exactly what I was looking for. Just bought a Fujitsui ScanSnap 1500 to covert all client files into searchable PDFs. It is an exceptional scanner that I can now use it to scan and track all the receipts. I use Quickbooks Pro for accounting purposes.
Oct 8, 2006
129 posts
If you are looking for a software solution, I've used PaperPort for scanning and file organization. The only problem is that its hit or miss with this software as it either works or it makes you rip your hair out. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any other piece of software that I came across that can replace PaperPort.

http://www.nuance.com/PaperPort/
× < >