Shopping Discussion

Does credit card insurance cover U-haul truck?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2009 10:27 am
Tags:
None
Mar 3, 2006
908 posts
150 upvotes
Edmonton

Does credit card insurance cover U-haul truck?

I am just wondering if credit card insurance cover U-haul truck? I have Amex Gold with cash rebate as well as MBNA's Smart Cash. On the U-haul site it says most CC do not cover trucks?

Does anyone know?
17 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28263 posts
803 upvotes
Better question is, why are you renting with U-Haul? You'll need the insurance.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2006
908 posts
150 upvotes
Edmonton
hagbard wrote:
Aug 21st, 2009 9:53 am
Better question is, why are you renting with U-Haul? You'll need the insurance.
i don't understand what you mean? I am talking about the collision damage waiver?
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4685 posts
727 upvotes
BC
acekiller wrote:
Aug 21st, 2009 10:24 am
i don't understand what you mean? I am talking about the collision damage waiver?
hagbard is referring to the exposure of U-Haul's poor maintenance record in the media over the past few years.

Your safety would be better placed with another truck rental company.

Last I heard, U-Haul was not commited to responding positively to the media reports.

See: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... e=&no_ads=
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28263 posts
803 upvotes
U-Haul is also notorious for hitting people with damages they didn't make. Most complaints I've heard originate in Victoria BC, though heard lots of complaints from other locations.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2006
908 posts
150 upvotes
Edmonton
ic.. what are some other options that you would suggest? I just have a few pieces of furniture to move, (queen size bed, couch, desk, and some smaller items)
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4039 posts
139 upvotes
Peterborough
acekiller wrote:
Aug 21st, 2009 12:20 pm
ic.. what are some other options that you would suggest? I just have a few pieces of furniture to move, (queen size bed, couch, desk, and some smaller items)
Where are you located?
PSN ID: SaabFanatic
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18494 posts
926 upvotes
acekiller wrote:
Aug 21st, 2009 12:20 pm
You can rent small moving trucks and cube vans from pretty much any car rental place - Discount, Hertz, etc. Call around town and get a few quotes.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1146 posts
86 upvotes
Another voice against U-Haul here. Poor conditions of the vehicles aside, they'll try and nail you with half a dozen other charges.

- There's a cleaning charge if you don't sweep out the van (even if it was dirty to begin with)
- There's a FOLDING charge if you rent furniture covers and don't fold them properly yourself.
- Gas has to be at 6/8ths full. You get charged if it's below that or ABOVE that level.
- Late charges - even a few minutes - are more than the cost of another day's rental in some cases.

I've rented from them once for a move, and it ended with me rushing through Toronto streets to get the van back on time, with furniture in the front yard, and then telling the guy I'd sweep out the van and fold the sheets when he introduced the $50 in extra charges for that.

I had no problems with Ryder, and as has been stated, most of the large rental companies also have cargo vans.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1170 posts
80 upvotes
They charge you for putting MORE gas in than it had when you started?! Crazy!

I went through this recently with another truck company (Discount? Hertz? I can't remember). I opted for the truck company's insurance, though.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 10, 2007
9159 posts
796 upvotes
Astin wrote:
Aug 21st, 2009 2:47 pm
- Gas has to be at 6/8ths full. You get charged if it's below that or ABOVE that level.
don't be silly. Nobody is going to charge you if you put more gas in
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
2262 posts
413 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
acekiller wrote:
Aug 21st, 2009 12:43 pm
downtown halifax

When do you need it?
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1146 posts
86 upvotes
sexyj wrote:
Aug 21st, 2009 5:54 pm
don't be silly. Nobody is going to charge you if you put more gas in
Read the agreement, it's pretty clearly stated, and they have a line drawn on the gauge to show you where it should be filled to. It's idiotic, but just another means of bilking the customer.
× < >