Travel

Does "Double Queen" mean "Double Queen Beds" or "Double occupancy with 1 queen bed"

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2017 12:42 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8901 posts
719 upvotes
GTA

Does "Double Queen" mean "Double Queen Beds" or "Double occupancy with 1 queen bed"

Hi, I booked a hotel through BMO Rewards. The description said "Double Queen" which I assumed was double queen beds. I even googled it at the time and from what I saw it appeared it would mean double Queen Bed.

I complained to BMO rewards after the hotel (Best western) put me in a room with a single Queen bed. I just got an e-mail back from them and they said after looking into it that
In the hotel industry verbiage, "double queen" means that this is a double occupancy room with 1 queen bed. If you would have chosen a room with 2 beds, it would have read "2 queen" and it would have been specified in the hotel description.
I feel like this is misleading as I have even found Best Western hotels referring to Double Queen Rooms as having 2 Queen beds (the one I stayed at was in Montreal). - http://www.bestwesternsandshotelvancouv ... ueen-room/

Curious for those that are more frequent travelers how you would interpret it.

My concern is more going forward too so that I don't book one thing and get another...
9 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26956 posts
3456 upvotes
Ottawa
I have seen lots of different wording for beds in a room. In Europe, the wording is often that way. Double/queen probably means either a double or a queen bed is in the room.
They are right in what they said, generally if there are 2 queen beds, it will say 2 queen beds.
Having said that, your link and the photo in it clearly shows 2 beds (which could be either double beds or queen sized beds) so, you should have received a room with 2 beds. Your complaint is valid.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8901 posts
719 upvotes
GTA
Pete_Coach wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 4:40 pm

your link and the photo in it clearly shows 2 beds
To clarify, as per my OP, that link is from another Best Western hotel (Not the one I stayed at). Was just trying to find what Best Western refers to as "Double Queen" rooms... I couldn' t find anything similar on the Montreal site though...
May 7, 2015
455 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto, ON
To be honest, so many sites and suppliers all use different terminology or words to describe the same room, it's really impossible to know for sure unless you see specific reference to quantity of beds in the room category (ie 2 queen beds, 1 king bed, etc)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3044 posts
1078 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
In my experience it would normally mean two queen beds. Why even say double queen if they don't mean that? Wouldn't most people assume that the room is double occupancy if there is only one queen bed? Why would there be the need to put double queen for only one queen bed.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5061 posts
1270 upvotes
Kootenays
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 9:52 am
In my experience it would normally mean two queen beds. Why even say double queen if they don't mean that? Wouldn't most people assume that the room is double occupancy if there is only one queen bed? Why would there be the need to put double queen for only one queen bed.
The rate for a double queen (2 people, 1 queen bed) could be higher than a single queen (1 person, 1 queen bed). Most listings should refer to the number of beds in the room type somewhere in the description.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3044 posts
1078 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
smacd wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 12:52 pm
The rate for a double queen (2 people, 1 queen bed) could be higher than a single queen (1 person, 1 queen bed). Most listings should refer to the number of beds in the room type somewhere in the description.
Not anywhere I've stayed. The rate is states it is for double occupancy ordinarily. They don't charge less than the posted rate just because you are by yourself (at least the places I've been to don't).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5061 posts
1270 upvotes
Kootenays
We do (we own a small resort) and many places will if you tell them you're a single.
May 28, 2004
469 posts
92 upvotes
Best to check out the individual hotel website, contact the hotel, or read reviews. How common the wording is depends on the market/city too.

If I had booked it, I would have guessed the room had a double or queen, as in the hotel wasn't even guaranteeing a queen. If there are two beds, I think it's more common that it says "2 Queen Beds".