Automotive

Does the Electronic Rustproofing Module do any harm?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2016 7:07 pm
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
531 posts
218 upvotes

Does the Electronic Rustproofing Module do any harm?

I'm buying a used vehicle and the previous owner had this thing installed. I know it's useless at preventing rust but does anybody know if it causes any harm? If not I'm probably inclined to just leave it there. Seems to me the only harm it could cause is premature battery drain.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1089 posts
398 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
It does not work so yes it does plenty of harm to your wallet.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
531 posts
218 upvotes
nayan97 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2016 2:49 pm
It does not work so yes it does plenty of harm to your wallet.
I think I made it pretty clear that this thing was already installed in the pre-owned vehicle I am purchasing. So I'm not purchasing it myself (other than as part of the vehicle). The question is simply around whether or not leaving it installed, as opposed to removing it, would cause any harm.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26508 posts
12617 upvotes
Ottawa
Unless it is wired to a ACC or a switched fuse, it will always be on; even when the car is off and draw from the battery.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2635 posts
1207 upvotes
Vancouver
The holes drilled to mount the electronic device and pair of anodes are probably more prone to rust.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32406 posts
6789 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote:
Aug 25th, 2016 3:03 pm
Unless it is wired to a ACC or a switched fuse, it will always be on; even when the car is off and draw from the battery.
Correct.
The only damage will be the current draw on the battery.
There should not be any holes drilled into the body.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13542 posts
2994 upvotes
London
Spinner wrote:
Aug 25th, 2016 3:11 pm
The holes drilled to mount the electronic device and pair of anodes are probably more prone to rust.
+1, it can't even protect its own screw holes
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1307 posts
903 upvotes
McGuillicuddy wrote:
Aug 25th, 2016 2:54 pm
think I made it pretty clear that this thing was already installed in the pre-owned vehicle I am purchasing. So I'm not purchasing it myself (other than as part of the vehicle). The question is simply around whether or not leaving it installed, as opposed to removing it, would cause any harm.
The ones that I've seen only draw about .010 amps and turns itself off if the battery voltage drops below a certain point.
Shouldn't cause any harm leaving it.

Just wondering, did it work? Any rust on the car?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32406 posts
6789 upvotes
Ottawa
billford wrote:
Aug 25th, 2016 4:29 pm
McGuillicuddy wrote:
think I made it pretty clear that this thing was already installed in the pre-owned vehicle I am purchasing. So I'm not purchasing it myself (other than as part of the vehicle). The question is simply around whether or not leaving it installed, as opposed to removing it, would cause any harm.
The ones that I've seen only draw about .010 amps and turns itself off if the battery voltage drops below a certain point.

Good question.
What car? How old? Where was the car? In the rust belt or the Prairies or out on the West Coast?

Even the slightest draw can kill the battery.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
531 posts
218 upvotes
billford wrote:
Aug 25th, 2016 4:29 pm
McGuillicuddy wrote:

Car is mint, but it's also only 3 years old. And it's a VW which are pretty rust resistant as it is. It is located in central Ontario.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3764 posts
3754 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I hope you got a good deal on it, because when I see a private seller advertise a used car with the "electronic rust inhibitor" on it, I know I've won half the battle before we even start negotiations.
May 30, 2011
218 posts
14 upvotes
North York
I have one of this installed on my car, the good thing is dealer says rust is lifetime warranty, just bring back to dealer and no need to check rust every year.

So OP may want to double check with seller is that lifetime warranty.

One thing I am not sure but suspect that because the car is charged, it attracts or attaches dust, so it always looks like it covers with dust.
I have those permanent Shine package, but when compare to parked car, same model same color, mine is also look dull.
Not 100% sure.

So far I do not see any harm, close to 2 years car.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26508 posts
12617 upvotes
Ottawa
Pchiu wrote:
Aug 25th, 2016 6:15 pm
I have one of this installed on my car, the good thing is dealer says rust is lifetime warranty, just bring back to dealer and no need to check rust every year.

So OP may want to double check with seller is that lifetime warranty.

One thing I am not sure but suspect that because the car is charged, it attracts or attaches dust, so it always looks like it covers with dust.
I have those permanent Shine package, but when compare to parked car, same model same color, mine is also look dull.
Not 100% sure.

So far I do not see any harm, close to 2 years car.
Lifetime warranty for perforation only.
I doubt it's for surface corrosion.