None
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1005 posts
43 upvotes
Scarborough

Does this even make sense with Roger's contract

Hi,

My fiancee have a 3 years contract with Rogers. She did not do a hardware upgrade, and we wanted to cancel the contract in favor of another carrier.

When we call in to confirm, the Rogers rep informed us that she have to pay 400 dollars cancellation fee...

She does not have a data plan and have some credits applied to her normal function (her plan is atrocious the credit only make the plan reasonable).

I was under the impression that can only enforce a cancellation fee with a Hardware Upgrade... is this a scare tactic? Their line cut off during the middle of our call we plan to call in again.

Thanks,
W
ebay acct:
    [url=http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=wikkid_bigshot&ssPageName=STRK:ME:UFS]My ebay feedback[/url]
yes, Im a redflagnoob
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2008
1821 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
if you already have a 3yr contract, you have a 3 yr contract.
hardware upgrade essentially is a renewal of the 3yr contract.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9228 posts
1875 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
When did she sign her contract? If it was before jan of this year, Rogers still used the old ECF which is basically a fixed cancelation fee. This will not change unless she renewed again since then. If her last renewal was after Jan, then she should fall under the DSRF/ADSRF which is basically a tab which reduces each month and is based on the hardware subsidy. If she took no hardware with the renewal then she should have only a $12.50 fee.

Sounds like her last renewal was prior to DSRF/ADSRF, if which case the $400 is probably right.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Sep 23, 2005
315 posts
20 upvotes
Calgary
Tell them you want proof of hardship and what the cancel fee is for. Cancel fees with no hardware being taken from them sounds fishy to me. Get the CCTC involved if you have to. I guess you could always ask for proof you agreed to a 3 yr contract too.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1145 posts
79 upvotes
$20 a month for the balance of her commitment, up to a maximum of $400.
Signature removed for violating the rules.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1005 posts
43 upvotes
Scarborough
Im going up Nigel's suggestion, but I see everybody else's point (contract is a contract is a contract)

Sucks that she got suckered into a bad deal and dont even have a phone to show for it.
ebay acct:
    [url=http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=wikkid_bigshot&ssPageName=STRK:ME:UFS]My ebay feedback[/url]
yes, Im a redflagnoob
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10158 posts
1106 upvotes
Markham
wikkid_bigshot wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 11:20 am
Hi,

My fiancee have a 3 years contract with Rogers. She did not do a hardware upgrade, and we wanted to cancel the contract in favor of another carrier.

When we call in to confirm, the Rogers rep informed us that she have to pay 400 dollars cancellation fee...

She does not have a data plan and have some credits applied to her normal function (her plan is atrocious the credit only make the plan reasonable).

I was under the impression that can only enforce a cancellation fee with a Hardware Upgrade... is this a scare tactic? Their line cut off during the middle of our call we plan to call in again.

Thanks,
W
how long is the contract still?
I renewed my contract 1 year early in Sept. 2012 and the new cancellation fee is $12.50 for voice and $12.50 for Data
I did not take any hardware upgrade from this renewal
64TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 48TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
32TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2012 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
× < >