Personal Finance

Does every new home listing get posted on Realtor.ca?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2014 1:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2167 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto

Does every new home listing get posted on Realtor.ca?

Does every home listing get posted on Realtor.ca? Or are there only specific ones that do?

Reason why I ask, I have seen a few homes for sale recently in our area but when I search for them on Realtor.ca , I don't see them?

Or is Realtor.ca sort of like autotrader.ca , the best place to list, but not necessarily containing every home out there?
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5208 posts
2336 upvotes
Thornhill
For a property to be included in Realtor.ca it has to be listed by a brokerage; must be listed as an MLS listing rather than an exclusive listing and allow for it to be distributed to the internet.

Some sellers ( a minority) will choose to list with a brokerage but not allow either the listing to be distributed to the internet or the address.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2167 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
licenced wrote:
Sep 16th, 2014 12:15 pm
For a property to be included in Realtor.ca it has to be listed by a brokerage; must be listed as an MLS listing rather than an exclusive listing and allow for it to be distributed to the internet.

Some sellers ( a minority) will choose to list with a brokerage but not allow either the listing to be distributed to the internet or the address.

Ok thanks!

-So as a seller, you can choose not to list it publicly?
-Do you know what percentage is this? Are we talking less than 5% of sellers? In other words, is this such a small minority that I don't have to worry about missing much when checking Realtor.ca ?
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1006 upvotes
Also listings don't generally show up for a few days after they are listed. When we sold our house we had a conditional offer the day we listed it. So if was already gone by the time it was up on the website.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5208 posts
2336 upvotes
Thornhill
Woodbridge905 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2014 12:23 pm
Ok thanks!
You're welcome.
-So as a seller, you can choose not to list it publicly?
Correct.
-Do you know what percentage is this? Are we talking less than 5% of sellers? In other words, is this such a small minority that I don't have to worry about missing much when checking Realtor.ca ?
I don't know the percentage, I can only verify that it is small from the listing information we are able to see on our board's listing service.

You may not be missing much but you could miss the listing of a property that best meets your needs. The only way to avoid this is to have a Realtor set you up for automatic receipt of new listings which will send all listings that meet your criteria to you even though the listing is not searchable on realtor.ca.
May 19, 2006
498 posts
66 upvotes
Sometimes you will find listings that are totally in the wrong area as well. Not sure if it is realtor error or something wrong with the system but I have seen Ontario listings show up in BC.

Needless to say if my realtor couldn't get that fixed right away I would be livid but some listings never get fixed! :twisted: