Automotive

Does the Honda HR-V have rear cross traffic warning?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 12:08 am
[OP]
Jan 3, 2009
77 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga

Does the Honda HR-V have rear cross traffic warning?

My wife is looking for a small SUV that must have 3 advanced safety features: (1) blind spot warning (2) front collision warning/braking (3) rear cross traffic warning/braking.

From the physical attributes, we have narrowed it down to the Subaru Crosstrek and the Honda HR-V. My wife really likes the HR-V but unless I am missing something, this SUV does NOT have rear cross traffic warning.

Any advice please?
19 replies
Dec 14, 2017
701 posts
1702 upvotes
You shouldnt need those features to be able to drive. If she MUST have those features then maybe she shouldn't drive...
Sep 25, 2018
409 posts
801 upvotes
I concur... If your wife cannot do the following properly:

1. Check her blind spot (seriously you just turn your head left or right. Does she have a physical condition preventing her from doing that?)
2. Watch the traffic in front of you (this is even simpler, I mean as a driver what else would you be doing other than watch your front?)
3. Check the surrounding when backing out (with all the cameras on cars nowadays, I can't imagine this being hard)

She should either take bus, taxi, or have another proper driver to chauffeur her.

Moreover, electronics fail, if she end up hitting someone/something because one of those safety features fails, you'll still get a ticket/insurance increase.
Mar 1, 2008
841 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
I say there's nothing wrong with having those features. I find them useful and somewhat a peace of mind that they are there.

I would go with the Crosstrek. If you go with the trim with the Eyesight system, it's included.
rubikas001 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2019 10:47 am
You shouldnt need those features to be able to drive. If she MUST have those features then maybe she shouldn't drive...
Last edited by aznblade on Dec 2nd, 2019 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6086 posts
4367 upvotes
Richmond Hill
based on the spec sheet, it looks like the HRV doesnt have rcta

the crosstrek probably does, and i know for sure that mazdas have it as well
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12753 posts
9129 upvotes
Richmond Hill
aznblade wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2019 11:12 am
I say there's nothing wrong with having those features. I find them useful and somewhat a peace of mind that they are there.

I would go with the Crosstrek. If you go with the trim with the Eyesight system, it's included.
You're right, there is nothing wrong with having nannies till the driver solely relies on them to "drive".
Dec 14, 2017
701 posts
1702 upvotes
aznblade wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2019 11:12 am

Nothing wrong with having them, just wrong that she MUST have them
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3560 posts
850 upvotes
Montreal
rubikas001 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2019 11:30 am
Nothing wrong with having them, just wrong that she MUST have them
Lmao...she must have them be because there is additional safety to be had?

Yet, I see all these men must having manual transmission, must not have CVT, must have naturally aspirated v8, must have AWD......
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1211 posts
656 upvotes
Barrie ON
If a car has "Blind Spot Monitoring" (BSM) then it will also have "Rear Cross Traffic Alert" (RCTA) because both system use the same radar sensors mounted in the corners of the back bumper.

The HRV does not have BSM. Instead it has a system called "Lanewatch". Lanewatch uses a camera on the passenger door mirror, to display your blindspot on the central display whenever you activate the turn signal. There is no Lanewatch for the drivers side.
Dec 14, 2017
701 posts
1702 upvotes
iownyou wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2019 3:29 pm
Lmao...she must have them be because there is additional safety to be had?

Yet, I see all these men must having manual transmission, must not have CVT, must have naturally aspirated v8, must have AWD......
All of those don't really have to do with safety or the ability for someone to drive rather they're just something someone would like to have for the fun of it, manual and a na V8 would be fun. But someone saying they must have a car with bsm, forward collision alert, rear park assist isn't for the fun of it, rather they're probably scared without them because they don't feel confident in themselves enough to drive without them. There's a difference between it would be nice to have these features when I'm getting a new car versus it is a MUST when I am getting a new car.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2009
77 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
I can see that the Christmas season does little to dull the innate ******* nature of some posters. If you have nothing positive to add, perhaps you should go back to the dark mean hole you came from.
Mar 2, 2012
105 posts
82 upvotes
MILTON
superlift123 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2019 5:18 pm
I can see that the Christmas season does little to dull the innate ******* nature of some posters. If you have nothing positive to add, perhaps you should go back to the dark mean hole you came from.
Some people make themselves feel important by being mean. They want to share their awesomeness and wisdom with you by telling you the dumbest things such as that your wife should not be driving.

After they leave a mean comment they log out, then they log in with their second user name and they give themselves a thumb up.

The best thing is to do is to ignore them and show them that you don't care about their dumb comments.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12753 posts
9129 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Meh it’s the internet. Best not to take it too serious, especially around here lol
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1091 posts
49 upvotes
Bolton, ON
Could always back into parking spots, instead of driving forward into them. The backup camera with the HR-V is pretty good.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1453 posts
546 upvotes
I can tell you for a fact the Crosstrek will have all those things, I have one. I too bought my car with all the safety features, it's mine now but will be my wife's in the future, and unlike all the haters, I do appreciate having extra protection, especially when my wife is involved.