Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

IT DOES HOT: Bewawa WD 2TB Green's for $112.99 (EARS or EADS)

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2010 11:02 pm
98 replies
Feb 1, 2005
193 posts
28 upvotes
with tigerdirect's 99 w/ MIR... it was only a matter of time before we saw bewawa come down some more :)

Flat rate shippipng RULES!
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2006
1692 posts
82 upvotes
Well we've nearly reached the point where 2TB drives cost LESS than 1.5TB drives :)

Now if only there weren't nagging reliability reports all over the place with WD Greens :evil:
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
thanks op. just placed an order with ncix and pm'ed with bewawa.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1928 posts
214 upvotes
I also PM'd with NCIX.

I also used up gift card too (i got it from the $10 card = free shipping promo)

I just realized however that they didn't actually deduct the $10 from my order.

I canceled and tried again, and still nothing. I also checked on their website and made sure there was $10 on there.

Anyone know how i can contact them about this ? I placed the order anyways.

edit: forgot to mention, my order shows that the gift card is being used, but the total price doesnt actually deduct the $10.... weird
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2003
3198 posts
62 upvotes
Kitchener - Waterloo
Taft wrote: Well we've nearly reached the point where 2TB drives cost LESS than 1.5TB drives :)

Now if only there weren't nagging reliability reports all over the place with WD Greens :evil:
They are VERY reliable. I have had a number of Greens for a year now - not ONE single problem.

Here is what people should do to remove the 8 second park issues with the Greens 2TB:

ok - for people to get the drives disabled, read this:

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 24&t=20907

VERY IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS ON WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE!
I DID IT FOLLOWING THAT GUIDE!

New HD cannot be disabled, but their time reduced for parking once every 62 minutes! Better than the 8 seconds or 12 from factory!

Here are my stats for the four 2TB drives I have...
In general, I was getting one parking every 4 minutes.
Now, in time these numbers should go up, which is a good sign!

HD1: 740 hrs x 60 min / 11399 load cycles = 3.8951 minutes for 1 load
HD2: 355x60 / 5343 = 3.98652 min/load
HD3: 724x60 / 11374 = 3.8192 min/load
HD4: 175x60 / 2811 = 3.7353 min/load
Jan 21, 2010
565 posts
754 upvotes
Brantford
Strategy wrote: I also PM'd with NCIX.

I also used up gift card too (i got it from the $10 card = free shipping promo)

I just realized however that they didn't actually deduct the $10 from my order.

I canceled and tried again, and still nothing. I also checked on their website and made sure there was $10 on there.

Anyone know how i can contact them about this ? I placed the order anyways.

edit: forgot to mention, my order shows that the gift card is being used, but the total price doesnt actually deduct the $10.... weird
I had the same concern last week. They will refund your credit card/paypal account the $10 after you pay.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1928 posts
214 upvotes
jfd3220 wrote: I had the same concern last week. They will refund your credit card/paypal account the $10 after you pay.
Automatically? Or do I have to contact them and tell them?

How long did it take ?
Apr 7, 2007
524 posts
31 upvotes
Strategy wrote: Automatically? Or do I have to contact them and tell them?

How long did it take ?
It's a manual process. They actually have a person who'll apply it post-transaction. Always double-check after it's processed/shipped.
Jan 21, 2010
565 posts
754 upvotes
Brantford
Strategy wrote: Automatically? Or do I have to contact them and tell them?

How long did it take ?
It's automatic, as long as you entered the GC# and code, and checked the check box.
I called them because I thought the GC would be deducted before billing, but was told that they just refund you after payment, so I just made the payment via paypal and got the money back later that day. I think it was when the payment was processed. You can just check your order status to see when that happens.
Apr 7, 2007
524 posts
31 upvotes
jfd3220 wrote: It's automatic, as long as you entered the GC# and code, and checked the check box.
I called them because I thought the GC would be deducted before billing, but was told that they just refund you after payment, so I just made the payment via paypal and got the money back later that day. I think it was when the payment was processed. You can just check your order status to see when that happens.
Not from my experience after using a few gift cards. I, too, had the exact same concern the first time and even posted a question on their forum. It's not processed until a person manually applies the gift card amount (deduction) and puts the order through. In other words, it's not a refund given afterwards.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1928 posts
214 upvotes
I checked my invoice on their site and they did in fact deduct the $10. I just gotta check my credit card balance though, but they probably gave it to me.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
pm was approved. free shipping, save on the pst, and a lower price. kudos all around.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12833 posts
6665 upvotes
Damn not bad at all..Wonder if they will go lower in the next 2 weeks haha i need a couple
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
2779 posts
4697 upvotes
Vancouver
George W. Bush wrote: They are VERY reliable. I have had a number of Greens for a year now - not ONE single problem.

Here is what people should do to remove the 8 second park issues with the Greens 2TB:

New HD cannot be disabled, but their time reduced for parking once every 62 minutes! Better than the 8 seconds or 12 from factory!

Oh how I wish I'd known about this about a month ago. May have saved about 1TB of lost data. Thanks Gdub!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
3130 posts
655 upvotes
Mississauga
George W. Bush wrote: They are VERY reliable. I have had a number of Greens for a year now - not ONE single problem.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to have to check my LCC status in SMART when I get home to see what my drives have been doing. I've got four of them (bought in January/February) in a JBOD Enclosure so I don't want to lose my data.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
1655 posts
12 upvotes
Uppsala
where is the free shipping on ncix? do i need to get a GC?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
2088 posts
122 upvotes
What's the difference between EADS and EARS? Besides SATA II and SATA III??

Also, can anyone explain the LCC problem? I don't understand!
Aug 11, 2003
794 posts
51 upvotes
Hamilton
Sorry to threadjack, but I was looking for a newbie explanation about LCC problems which pops up in every WD Green thread.
I couldn't find any, so I tried to piece it together from bits and pieces. Could one of our resident experts confirm my
understanding of the problem / proposed solution below? Much appreciated!

* Hard drives have a limited lifespan, of which one factor is the LCC (load count cycle), which is how often the drive powers up ands down.
* WD Greens save power by powering down (i.e. "parking the head") when it is not in use.
* Under certain OS (Ubuntu and possibly NAS with Linux-based firmware), some data access command takes just long enough for the drive to power down, thus causing (almost) constant power up and power down - hence "killing" the drive faster.
* People try to solve this problem by increasing the amount of time in which the head parks. This reduces the LCC, thus increasing the life of the HD. Increasing the amount of time is done through a utility provided by WD call "wdidle3". Older HD allows you to disable this power down completely. Newer HD will only allow you to set the timer higher. The danger with doing either is that 1) you run the risk of the drive overheating, and 2) you void the warranty on the drive.

If this is the case, does this problem also occur with Windows XP / 7 if the drive is in an external enclosure?

Thanks in advance!