• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2014 1:26 am
Tags:
None
Sep 7, 2006
448 posts
299 upvotes

Does IKEA has a price protection?

There is a TV bench on sale on next Monday, but I might want to buy it on Sunday and do a price adjustment later.

Thanks
29 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
davyasdf wrote:
Jun 25th, 2009 9:28 am
There is a TV bench on sale on next Monday, but I might want to buy it on Sunday and do a price adjustment later.

Thanks
<Ring><Ring>
"Ikea, how may I help you?"
"Yes, I was wondering, do you have Price Protection if I buy something today and it goes on sale, for example, tomorrow?"
("Answer")
"Okay, thank you. Goodbye."
<Click>

See how simple it is to get an accurate answer? That should be your first step before posting a question here, since the answer you NEED could be dependent on other factors.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
[OP]
Sep 7, 2006
448 posts
299 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote:
Jun 25th, 2009 9:39 am
<Ring><Ring>
"Ikea, how may I help you?"
"Yes, I was wondering, do you have Price Protection if I buy something today and it goes on sale, for example, tomorrow?"
("Answer")
"Okay, thank you. Goodbye."
<Click>

See how simple it is to get an accurate answer? That should be your first step before posting a question here, since the answer you NEED could be dependent on other factors.
lol.. thanks. just in office, not good to make such a phone call. but I will call them this noon.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8051 posts
1890 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
davyasdf wrote:
Jun 25th, 2009 9:57 am
lol.. thanks. just in office, not good to make such a phone call.
Even easier. If you can post here you can go to their website, e.g. here:
6. Can I return items?
If you are not satisfied with your purchase, return the item within 45 days of the purchase for an exchange or a refund. Please be sure to have your receipt and the original packaging at the time of your visit.
If you can return items then you should be able to get IKEA to price protect recent purchases too. That's a lot less hassle for them then processing a return.

P.S. Try not to do this during busy times (evenings and weekends) because you'll spend a lot of time queuing up at customer service.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5371 posts
355 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
davyasdf wrote:
Jun 25th, 2009 9:28 am

Thanks
I know people that have done this, so yes you can do a price adjustment on the day the bench goes on sale.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Oct 23, 2005
466 posts
19 upvotes
Hawkesbury
ressurecting this thread to mention that my wife was told you have 45 days to get a price adjustment
May 17, 2012
189 posts
34 upvotes
Brossard
Also ressurecting this thread as I checked with IKEA 3 weeks ago before buying a BESTA storage media unit and they will 1) Price protect or refund for 45 days but also 2) Price protect/refund for 90 days if you swipe your IKEA Family card.

Now that they have a BESTA sale going on April 17-27 (15% off), will go tomorrow and confirm whether I did get a refund for my purchase from last month.

Edit : went today at IKEA Boucherville to the return/exchange counter and they refunded me 15%+tx on my end of March BESTA media storage purchase without having to argue or anything. They also confirmed that indeed, for IKEA family transactions they will price adjust up to 90 days. They said the only time they won't price adjust is for one day only promos (like Wacky Wednesday or Midnight madness, etc) or really short term ones (1 week-end only for example). Not sure where the cutoff is though (3 days? A week?).
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10430 posts
1859 upvotes
Toronto
davyasdf wrote:
Jun 25th, 2009 9:57 am
lol.. thanks. just in office, not good to make such a phone call. but I will call them this noon.
'Just in office'. You can't make a phone call but can waste your employer's time surfing the net? LMAO

As an aside , yes, I only post questions on here where I cannot get the answer from the retailer or company. It's quicker and easier!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9354 posts
2771 upvotes
Ottawa
On a somewhat related note, I bought a TV bench last week, put it together but found something identical in the As-Is section today for a pretty sweet discount so I picked that up and returned the original item.

Hassle-free and I saved just a bit over $100 with less than an hour of work. I'll take it.
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3292 posts
357 upvotes
Richmond
Wouldn't know since i don't go to ikea. Wouldn't want to. nothing but crap. Rather go to costco than ikea.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
7980 posts
1182 upvotes
London
bluebellrose wrote:
Jul 1st, 2014 2:29 am
Wouldn't know since i don't go to ikea. Wouldn't want to. nothing but crap. Rather go to costco than ikea.
If you don't go to Ikea, how do you know it's all crap?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8051 posts
1890 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
canabiz wrote:
Jun 30th, 2014 8:49 pm
I bought a TV bench last week, put it together but found something identical in the As-Is section today for a pretty sweet discount so I picked that up and returned the original item.

Hassle-free and I saved just a bit over $100 with less than an hour of work. I'll take it.
Great ethical move—NOT!

So now they have to disassemble the one you bought originally, then sell the used bench at a huge discount in the As-Is section, thus losing time and money on both benches.

And people wonder why stores have to toughen up their return/exchange policies... :facepalm:
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9354 posts
2771 upvotes
Ottawa
bylo wrote:
Jul 1st, 2014 9:27 am
Great ethical move—NOT!

So now they have to disassemble the one you bought originally, then sell the used bench at a huge discount in the As-Is section, thus losing time and money on both benches.

And people wonder why stores have to toughen up their return/exchange policies... :facepalm:
What do you expect a reasonable RFDer do in that situation?

I bought the first TV bench at full price, fair and square. It wasn't my fault somebody else returned an identical TV bench and IKEA decided to put in the As-Is section at a discount. They could have used it as a floor model but why is that my problem?

Did you honestly expect me to let it be and not grab that TV bench to save myself over $100 in the process? How often do you see the items that you are looking for in the As-Is section? Not very often but I try to save $ for my family (legally) and if the opportunities present themselves, I am not going to say no.
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8051 posts
1890 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
canabiz wrote:
Jul 1st, 2014 9:36 am
What do you expect a reasonable RFDer do in that situation?
As I said, it's a matter of ethics. We know what "reasonable" RFDers would do in those sorts of situations because they brag about it on RFD. But that doesn't make it ethical or right. And it also doesn't help encourage stores to maintain liberal return policies.

What would you have done if you'd seen the discounted bench in As-Is after the 45 day return period had ended? What would you have done if IKEA had put the identical bench on sale for $100 off?
Not very often but I try to save $ for my family (legally) and if the opportunities present themselves, I am not going to say no.
I didn't suggest that it was illegal but rather that it was unethical. There's a difference.

I try to save money for my family too. But there are limits to what I will do. In a similar situation I'd have been pissed off too. However I doubt that I would have "solved" the "problem" as described.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
5754 posts
659 upvotes
Guys, the thread is from 2009, 5 yrs old.

Anyway, if you apply the family card, your return is extended to 90 days and you get special Family card holder deals plus free coffee/tea at the restaurant. So, highly worth getting.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
× < >