None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9833 posts
2969 upvotes
Ottawa
bylo wrote:
Jul 1st, 2014 11:39 am
As I said, it's a matter of ethics. We know what "reasonable" RFDers would do in those sorts of situations because they brag about it on RFD. But that doesn't make it ethical or right. And it also doesn't help encourage stores to maintain liberal return policies.
I never bragged about this, bylo. I found an older thread that was somewhat relevant and posted my experience. That is it and that is all.
What would you have done if you'd seen the discounted bench in As-Is after the 45 day return period had ended? What would you have done if IKEA had put the identical bench on sale for $100 off?
If I found the As-Is item after the 45 days period is up for my original purchase then I would not even bat an eye and keep on looking for other items. I am surprised you even asked this question? I play by the rules and don't understand why you are making a big deal out of this?

If the identical bench is on sale then I would bring the receipt back and ask for a price adjustment (within the 45-day period). They have the rights not to offer that and I would be OK with it as it is their item, their rules.
I try to save money for my family too. But there are limits to what I will do. In a similar situation I'd have been pissed off too. However I doubt that I would have "solved" the "problem" as described.
That is your prerogative, bylo. Like I said I played by the book and when the clerk asked me why I returned the original item, I told him I found something for a better price in the As-Is section. Do you know what his comment is? He told me he understands the need to save $!

What you don't take into account is there is no refund or exchange for IKEA As-Is item, I took a leap of faith and went for it, knowing I can't do anything after, even if the damage is more severe than posted and/or we change our mind.
[removed]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24030 posts
9544 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote:
Jul 1st, 2014 2:29 am
Rather go to costco than ikea.
IF you're lucky enough to find what you need at Costco, then sure. But that's a GIANT IF.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16437 posts
8776 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
canabiz wrote:
Jul 1st, 2014 2:09 pm
I never bragged about this
I was making a generalization about a certain breed of RFDer who does something sketchy, if not clearly illegal, then posts about it on RFD.
I don't understand why you are making a big deal out of this?
I'm not. It's just that some of the things people do to score a deal doesn't sit well with me so I feel that I should comment about it. I think the issues involved are at least worth thinking about.
Like I said I played by the book and when the clerk asked me why I returned the original item, I told him I found something for a better price in the As-Is section.
That's a significant piece of new information that changes my view about the ethics of what happened. Your original post didn't mention that you were open with IKEA about what you were up to. If they were OK with what you were doing then I don't see anything wrong ethically. My concern is about situations where the customer hides their true motivation and thus ends up passing the cost for their "error" back to the store (and ultimately to all the other customers by way of higher prices and/or more restrictive return policies.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9833 posts
2969 upvotes
Ottawa
^ No problem. Glad we are on the same page. I didn't mention about it in my first post as I didn't feel the need to (you are the only one who questioned what I did) and like I said, I didn't post to brag, simply to share my experience for the community.

I think you also need to realize the IKEA As-Is section is truly hit and miss. Nobody really expects to score deals there, many IKEA shoppers simply pick up what they need in the aisles and move on with their life.

I was there looking for chairs (as seen in my signature) and completely did not expect to see the bench I just bought last week. To say I was surprised is an understatement because I have had my eyes on that particular bench for over a year and went for it when the local IKEA showed they have some in stock.

Anyway it's all good.
[removed]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4025 posts
655 upvotes
Richmond
Ottomaddox wrote:
Jul 1st, 2014 9:26 am
If you don't go to Ikea, how do you know it's all crap?
my brother used to work for their supplier next door, which i hear has fired ikea as a customer
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12594 posts
1960 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Ottomaddox wrote:
Jul 1st, 2014 9:26 am
If you don't go to Ikea, how do you know it's all crap?
On the Ikea website, it has product descriptions. For example,

[IMG]http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/images/produc ... 161_S4.JPG[/IMG]

STOCKHOLM
Sideboard
$499.00

Product description
Top panel/ Bottom panel: Particleboard, Acrylic paint, ABS plastic
Side panel: Particleboard, Fiberboard, Acrylic paint, ABS plastic, Paper
Partition: Particleboard, Acrylic paint, ABS plastic, Fiberboard, Paper
Adjustable shelf: Fiberboard, Walnut veneer, Clear acrylic lacquer, Walnut veneer
Leg/ Drawer back/ Drawer side: Solid ash, Stain
Guide: Solid beech or birch
Drawer front: Particleboard, Walnut veneer, Clear acrylic lacquer, Walnut veneer
Drawer bottom: Fiberboard, Walnut veneer, Paper
Door: Fiberboard, Acrylic paint
Back: Fiberboard, Walnut veneer, Clear acrylic lacquer
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16437 posts
8776 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Becks wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2014 3:20 am
Particleboard... Fiberboard
Crap? Well by that criteria 90% of all "wood" furniture sold today is "crap." IKEA is hardly unique in that respect.

No it's not high-end furniture, nor does it sell for the exorbitant prices that high-end stuff sells for. But in the market in which it competes, it's hard to beat IKEA.

BTW where else can you find a similar sideboard made from better materials for the same or lower price?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24030 posts
9544 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2014 7:13 am
Crap? Well by that criteria 90% of all "wood" furniture sold today is "crap." IKEA is hardly unique in that respect.
Pretty much this.
Even high end furniture is affected. Nothing is made out of real wood any more.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1524 posts
330 upvotes
Toronto
IKEA also sells many items made with real wood. For example, HEMNES series are all made of solid pine except some non-structural bits like backing and panelling. Their wooden NUMERAR kitchen countertops are made of solid birch. Their wooden chairs are virtually all solid wood.

Sure, there's the LACK tables and BENNO TV benches other particleboard specials that don't last more than a college student's semester (and a price to match), but it doesn't mean they're all bad.
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $64 100 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp / Foupon
How I try to make money: Stack Mastercard / KOHO Visa / Amex Biz Plat & Cobalt / GCR / Ebates / Paytm / Plastiq / Paymi
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12594 posts
1960 upvotes
City of Vancouver
bylo wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2014 7:13 am

No it's not high-end furniture, nor does it sell for the exorbitant prices that high-end stuff sells for. But in the market in which it competes, it's hard to beat IKEA.

BTW where else can you find a similar sideboard made from better materials for the same or lower price?
How about this vintage teak sideboard for $645, no tax:

[IMG]http://images.craigslist.org/00808_8Sza ... 00x450.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://images.craigslist.org/00A0A_5QTD ... 00x450.jpg[/IMG]

Or, this $795 (no tax) vintage teak sideboard made in Denmark:
[IMG]http://images.craigslist.org/01616_gCKx ... 00x450.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://images.craigslist.org/00g0g_iZOi ... 00x450.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16437 posts
8776 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Becks wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2014 1:23 pm
How about this vintage teak sideboard for $645, no tax:
Ugh! Used, scratches and stains, wear and tear, made with veneer("solid teak edging"), dated style, as-is, no warranty...

Such utter crap! :D

Yes, old furniture was made from better materials than what's made today, especially what's available today for those on a budget. And yes, used furniture generally sells for a fraction of the price of new, you can haggle the price down even more, etc. You got me :-0

Now let's get real and compare new with new ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1057 posts
174 upvotes
Vancouver
bylo wrote:
Jul 1st, 2014 2:28 pm
I was making a generalization about a certain breed of RFDer who does something sketchy, if not clearly illegal, then posts about it on RFD.
Wouldn't that breed return the bench and wait til it was put in the as-is section to repurchase at the lower price? ;) I remember a Walmart post about people buying paint tinted to their specifications then returning it. They would then repurchase it from the mis-tint area at a huge discount.

As far as the other posters comment about Ikea being crap, I've purchased various pieces over the years and have never had any issues - including a Lack table and Billy book shelf still in use that I bought in '81.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12594 posts
1960 upvotes
City of Vancouver
http://www.yelp.com/biz/jysk-richmond

"Terrible quality. I bought a bed frame from them and one of the wood boards snapped on assembly. I'm thankful it didn't happen when I slept on it. They use a lot of manufactured wood. Throughout the store, I noticed that their products are made very cheaply. You get what you pay for. Don't expect their products to last very long or be safe to use."
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4694 posts
577 upvotes
Ottawa
IKEA is not a good choice if you've bought a house and want to fill it with furniture you expect to keep for forty years. It is a good choice if you're renting your first apartment/house and you don't really need it to last that long because you don't know what your living situation will be in five years...