Shopping Discussion

Does IKEA has a price protection?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 7:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1117 posts
201 upvotes
canabiz wrote:
Jun 30th, 2014 8:49 pm
On a somewhat related note, I bought a TV bench last week, put it together but found something identical in the As-Is section today for a pretty sweet discount so I picked that up and returned the original item.

Hassle-free and I saved just a bit over $100 with less than an hour of work. I'll take it.
Protip: If you're going to do something unethical, keep it under wraps so that companies won't realize and close the loophole on the next guy or you next time.

NSA keeps all security exploits it finds to itself so they can keep using them,
NSA is Smart,
Be like the NSA.
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 28, 2003
9803 posts
2951 upvotes
Ottawa
coffeebean wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 12:45 pm
canabiz wrote:
Jun 30th, 2014 8:49 pm
On a somewhat related note, I bought a TV bench last week, put it together but found something identical in the As-Is section today for a pretty sweet discount so I picked that up and returned the original item.

Hassle-free and I saved just a bit over $100 with less than an hour of work. I'll take it.
Protip: If you're going to do something unethical, keep it under wraps so that companies won't realize and close the loophole on the next guy or you next time.

NSA keeps all security exploits it finds to itself so they can keep using them,
NSA is Smart,
Be like the NSA.
Since you are bringing up a 2 year old post that was previously addressed, you do realize that IKEA's As-is sections first come first served with possible damaged items that may not be everyone's cup of tea right?

Also IKEA had no prob with me doing so. Pro tip? Lmao
[removed]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1117 posts
201 upvotes
canabiz wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 12:53 pm
coffeebean wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 12:45 pm
canabiz wrote:
Jun 30th, 2014 8:49 pm
On a somewhat related note, I bought a TV bench last week, put it together but found something identical in the As-Is section today for a pretty sweet discount so I picked that up and returned the original item.

Hassle-free and I saved just a bit over $100 with less than an hour of work. I'll take it.
Protip: If you're going to do something unethical, keep it under wraps so that companies won't realize and close the loophole on the next guy or you next time.

NSA keeps all security exploits it finds to itself so they can keep using them,
NSA is Smart,
Be like the NSA.
Since you are bringing up a 2 year old post that was previously addressed, you do realize that IKEA's As-is sections first come first served with possible damaged items that may not be everyone's cup of tea right?

Also IKEA had no prob with me doing so. Pro tip? Lmao
You misunderstand, I'm not criticizing you for doing the exchange. I just don't want IKEA to close the loophole on everyone else after reading your post.
This goes for all exploits not just yours.

The most successful exploits are the ones no one knows about.

Be happy you figured out the exploit, there's no need to show-off just to get an ego boost, and risk the re-usability of loophole for the rest of us.
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 28, 2003
9803 posts
2951 upvotes
Ottawa
coffeebean wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 1:12 pm
canabiz wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 12:53 pm
coffeebean wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 12:45 pm


Protip: If you're going to do something unethical, keep it under wraps so that companies won't realize and close the loophole on the next guy or you next time.

NSA keeps all security exploits it finds to itself so they can keep using them,
NSA is Smart,
Be like the NSA.
Since you are bringing up a 2 year old post that was previously addressed, you do realize that IKEA's As-is sections first come first served with possible damaged items that may not be everyone's cup of tea right?

Also IKEA had no prob with me doing so. Pro tip? Lmao
You misunderstand, I'm not criticizing you for doing the exchange. I just don't want IKEA to close the loophole on everyone else after reading your post.
This goes for all exploits not just yours.

The most successful exploits are the ones no one knows about.

Be happy you figured out the exploit, there's no need to show-off just to get an ego boost, and risk the re-usability of loophole for the rest of us.
I think you also misunderstood my post. First off, it was never my intention to show off or brag, as you alluded to in your post. This is RFD and I simply wanted to share my $ saving experience.

Secondly, I just so happened to stumble upon an identical item in the As-Is section at a discounted price so you can say it was good timing on my part. If there was no such item available in As-Is, I would be perfectly happy to keep the original item.
[removed]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 29, 2008
6018 posts
1696 upvotes
Montreal
He returned the original item anyway, with the original item receipt.

He did not return the "as-is" item with the original item invoice. That would be unethical.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 28, 2003
9803 posts
2951 upvotes
Ottawa
cashinstinct wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 4:06 pm
He returned the original item anyway, with the original item receipt.

He did not return the "as-is" item with the original item invoice. That would be unethical.
Exactly. I honestly do not know why coffeebean thinks what I did was unethical.

Say you bought an electronic item at Best Buy and you later saw an identical item at a slight discount because it is open box/refurbished. Are you guys telling me it is unethical to return the original item (within the allowable period and with original receipt) and pick up the open box/refurbished item for a bit of saving?

Smh.
[removed]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
2390 posts
1326 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
canabiz wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 6:34 pm
Say you bought an electronic item at Best Buy and you later saw an identical item at a slight discount because it is open box/refurbished. Are you guys telling me it is unethical to return the original item (within the allowable period and with original receipt) and pick up the open box/refurbished item for a bit of saving?
Well, I wouldn't say it's unethical, however assuming the product you originally purchased is now used or open box, then it is the kind of activity that contributes to companies tightening up their return policies. You're creating an open box item just so you can buy another open box product. But no, it's not unethical at all.

I recall some time ago seeing someone boasting about how they would return a product then watch for it to come up in the Open Box section and get a discount on that same product. :) Of course, that's a little different.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 28, 2003
9803 posts
2951 upvotes
Ottawa
ALLCAPS wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 7:55 pm
canabiz wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 6:34 pm
Say you bought an electronic item at Best Buy and you later saw an identical item at a slight discount because it is open box/refurbished. Are you guys telling me it is unethical to return the original item (within the allowable period and with original receipt) and pick up the open box/refurbished item for a bit of saving?
Well, I wouldn't say it's unethical, however assuming the product you originally purchased is now used or open box, then it is the kind of activity that contributes to companies tightening up their return policies. You're creating an open box item just so you can buy another open box product. But no, it's not unethical at all.

I recall some time ago seeing someone boasting about how they would return a product then watch for it to come up in the Open Box section and get a discount on that same product. :) Of course, that's a little different.
You also need to put yourself in my shoes (or anybody else buying open box/refurb items for that matter). I do not know the history of said open box item and I am taking a risk for a bit of a discount. Many people will probably let it be, why bother with a small amount of saving, but that's not what we are here for, aren't we ? :)

And yes I understand that f the open box/refurb item does not work as expected then I can exchange for another item but that means additional time going back and forth to the store.
[removed]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1117 posts
201 upvotes
cashinstinct wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 4:06 pm
He returned the original item anyway, with the original item receipt.

He did not return the "as-is" item with the original item invoice. That would be unethical.
My misunderstanding, that's fine then, it doesn't really seem unethical.
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
Jr. Member
User avatar
Nov 20, 2013
102 posts
23 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
IKEA does adjust price. although I didn't find any clear price protection on their canadian website.
Here's my experience in 2018
Bought ~800$ sofa at Ikea Richmond, BC
Few weeks later spotted "living room event 15% off", made online research - no clear official information, only some folks in this thread with positive experience (thanx!)
Went to same store when return period almost expired, and although I forgot to bing the receipt (I know, facepalm) they found it in their system after I provided dates and model of the sofa. Clerk lady was very friendly and adjusted price with no problems. Saved over 120$
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
13070 posts
2458 upvotes
Markham
pimpilsang wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 1:03 pm
IKEA does adjust price. although I didn't find any clear price protection on their canadian website.
Here's my experience in 2018
Bought ~800$ sofa at Ikea Richmond, BC
Few weeks later spotted "living room event 15% off", made online research - no clear official information, only some folks in this thread with positive experience (thanx!)
Went to same store when return period almost expired, and although I forgot to bing the receipt (I know, facepalm) they found it in their system after I provided dates and model of the sofa. Clerk lady was very friendly and adjusted price with no problems. Saved over 120$
this thread is from 2009 !
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Jr. Member
User avatar
Nov 20, 2013
102 posts
23 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I know Smiling Face With Sunglasses
and most of it is offtop. So I just wanted to add up to date relevant information.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14358 posts
6733 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Keigotw wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 1:07 pm
this thread is from 2009 !
1. Why does that matter?
2. How would starting a new thread be better?

My contrary opinion: By posting on an existing thread @pimpilsang has informed those of us who are subscribed to this thread (presumably because we're interested in IKEA's policies) that they price match in 2018 regardless of when the thread itself may have been created. That's a good thing.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Member
User avatar
Jun 20, 2015
472 posts
115 upvotes
Place
Almost 10 year thread. Face With Tears Of Joy

They price adjusted ours too. We provided our original receipt and good to go.
Good luck!
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2151 posts
1310 upvotes
Toronto
Went today to price adjust, they gave it to me in the form of a gift card. North York location. Wtf Ikea?

Top