Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Does it look bad to use a @gmail.com email address for your business?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2017 11:02 am
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
442 posts
119 upvotes

Does it look bad to use a @gmail.com email address for your business?

Just curious. I hate having to pay $77 a year through GoDaddy just to have one @domainname.com email address.

Can @gmail.com be used for business?
27 replies
Jun 1, 2005
175 posts
5 upvotes
Yes. It pretty much tells everyone you are amateur. I (personally) wouldn't ever give you money.

Buying a domain is like <$15 for the year, if you have a place to park it.
Dec 28, 2010
262 posts
85 upvotes
No.
But it looks more professional with a business account. Try Zoho or Bluehost, they are a lot cheaper.
Actions speak louder than words
May 21, 2015
112 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
yes, I wouldn't hire someone with a gmail account for their business use.
Mar 6, 2015
224 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
How? So if I apply for jobs, do not quote a gmail email address as the contact?
May 21, 2015
112 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
applying for jobs is fine but if you're a business and you have a gmail it looks unprofessional
Feb 18, 2014
145 posts
24 upvotes
No, when I see gmail for business, all credibility is lost.
Sep 16, 2012
288 posts
83 upvotes
Scarborough
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 3:41 pm
Just curious. I hate having to pay $77 a year through GoDaddy just to have one @domainname.com email address.

Can @gmail.com be used for business?
There are cheaper options to set up an @domainname email address, I pay only for the domain and use gmails built in SMTP login features and sent it from my email.

Check it out here:

https://www.chrisanthropic.com/blog/201 ... loudflare/
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4147 posts
660 upvotes
I think if you can't reason through this question yourself, you are not ready to run a business. It shows:

-You don't know how to find better solutions for your business
-You don't know how to think from your customer's perspective. It should be quite obvious people would be more skeptical if you use a gmail address.
Apr 9, 2008
388 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Zoho is free for up to 25 users.

Some domain registers even offer free basic email service.
Nov 6, 2015
446 posts
140 upvotes
Guelph, ON
To me it screams "not a real business". You are telling the world that you are not committed enough to your business to spend less than $100/year for a basic expense.
Feb 25, 2007
884 posts
347 upvotes
Ottawa
Depends a lot on nature of the business.

I would agree with others that if your business is to sell products or services direct to individuals (B2C), it screams lack of scale or seriousness. A serious business of such a sort requires some investment of financial resources and time to set up a presence, purchase inventory, develop fulfilment processes, etc. If you haven't made the effort to set up a domain with associated email, it beggars the question of what else have you not done, and how much commitment to continuity are you really making.

On the other hand, my own business is providing specialized (non-IT) consulting advice. While I have a company, which has a domain, associated email, and professional website, a fair number of my peers, including some very successful ones, just have a random email address; perhaps no website, or a home-made one that feels like 2005. Some of the email addresses are gmail, even hotmail, or whatever internet-provider address they ended up with. If you're a 30-years-of-experience retired executive and/or angel investor, with impeccable credentials, that's OK. In fact, for some of them I suspect it is part of their brand image -- they're telegraphing that they're beyond having to establish their credibility. And, of course, the robustness of their corporate set-up and business processes in this case is not relevant.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4542 posts
484 upvotes
Anyone tech savvy will see it as amateur. Average person probably doesn't care. But I always cringe when I see someone promoting a business whether card, advertisement, etc and it's not the domain.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
442 posts
119 upvotes
DaveProductions wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 6:38 pm
There are cheaper options to set up an @domainname email address, I pay only for the domain and use gmails built in SMTP login features and sent it from my email.

Check it out here:

https://www.chrisanthropic.com/blog/201 ... loudflare/
Darn. I just bought my domain and subbed to 1yr of basic essentials email. I don't think Ican get my money back now after I set it all up.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
442 posts
119 upvotes
houska wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 2:07 pm
Depends a lot on nature of the business.

I would agree with others that if your business is to sell products or services direct to individuals (B2C), it screams lack of scale or seriousness. A serious business of such a sort requires some investment of financial resources and time to set up a presence, purchase inventory, develop fulfilment processes, etc. If you haven't made the effort to set up a domain with associated email, it beggars the question of what else have you not done, and how much commitment to continuity are you really making.

On the other hand, my own business is providing specialized (non-IT) consulting advice. While I have a company, which has a domain, associated email, and professional website, a fair number of my peers, including some very successful ones, just have a random email address; perhaps no website, or a home-made one that feels like 2005. Some of the email addresses are gmail, even hotmail, or whatever internet-provider address they ended up with. If you're a 30-years-of-experience retired executive and/or angel investor, with impeccable credentials, that's OK. In fact, for some of them I suspect it is part of their brand image -- they're telegraphing that they're beyond having to establish their credibility. And, of course, the robustness of their corporate set-up and business processes in this case is not relevant.
What about lawyer? I know of someone who does criminal law and her email address on her card is ********keylimepie@hotmail.com.