Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Does it look bad to use a @gmail.com email address for your business?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 8:25 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10949 posts
2175 upvotes
Sure. I deal with lots of businesses that use gmail accounts. I use it for one of mine. People don't care these days about the name after the @ sign anymore. That's old news.
Aug 8, 2014
440 posts
75 upvotes
Markham, ON
Buster34 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 12:44 pm
in todays world
perceived value of an email account is insignificant in small business
That's what you think.
If I'm dealing with any business, regardless of field if they don't have an e-mail address with their company domain, I question their legitimacy.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10949 posts
2175 upvotes
YYZviaYUL wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 2:16 am
That's what you think.
If I'm dealing with any business, regardless of field if they don't have an e-mail address with their company domain, I question their legitimacy.
That's more of a Soviet Union 1940's era view of email. People these days don't care really. I'd worry more about the service and products provided than what comes after the at sign I guess you'd rather deal with a crappy business with a company domain email rather than a fantastic business with a gmail address! Face Screaming In Fear
Last edited by eonibm on Nov 3rd, 2017 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Feb 18, 2014
151 posts
26 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 9:06 am
That's more of a Soviet Union 1940's era view of email. People these days don't care really. I'd worry more about the service and products provided than what comes after the [mention2=329452 slug=].[/mention2] I guess you'd rather deal with a crappy business with a company domain email rather than a fantastic business with a gmail address! Face Screaming In Fear
Well Comrade, if you need me, I will be eating borscht in my shtetl.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10949 posts
2175 upvotes
gamechanger wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 11:25 am
Well Comrade, if you need me, I will be eating borscht in my shtetl.
And I'll be putin a few perogies down my throat.
Nov 6, 2015
459 posts
144 upvotes
Guelph, ON
eonibm wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 9:06 am
That's more of a Soviet Union 1940's era view of email. People these days don't care really. I'd worry more about the service and products provided than what comes after the at sign I guess you'd rather deal with a crappy business with a company domain email rather than a fantastic business with a gmail address! Face Screaming In Fear
Err, nobody in the 1940's had a view about "email", except maybe science fiction readers.

For "dog walker" or "snow shoveller" businesses I wouldn't care. But if I wanted to be sure I'm dealing with a full time professional the @gmail is a red flag - it tells me they are not willing to invest <$100 / year for a very basic business expense. It's the same as calling their "business" line and a small child answering the phone. Of course I wouldn't assume the business is professional just because they have a domain name - it's such a small expense that it is no guarantee of anything. But that's my point, it's so cheap to get one that if you don't it makes me wonder how fly-by-night your business is.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10949 posts
2175 upvotes
JoeBlack23 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 7:50 pm
Err, nobody in the 1940's had a view about "email", except maybe science fiction readers.

For "dog walker" or "snow shoveller" businesses I wouldn't care. But if I wanted to be sure I'm dealing with a full time professional the @gmail is a red flag - it tells me they are not willing to invest <$100 / year for a very basic business expense. It's the same as calling their "business" line and a small child answering the phone. Of course I wouldn't assume the business is professional just because they have a domain name - it's such a small expense that it is no guarantee of anything. But that's my point, it's so cheap to get one that if you don't it makes me wonder how fly-by-night your business is.
Actually it shows that they are not wasting $100/year and are very business savvy. Not the same as a small child answering the phone (unless of course the small child is answering the email). I deal with tons of companies that use gmail as their business address and found it bears no relation to the quality of service. Any fool can pay for a domain name email. That doesn't guarantee anything, now does it?

I use gmail for some of my businesses and no one bats an eye.

Anyway, you sure have an old-world view.
May 14, 2012
341 posts
66 upvotes
MARKHAM
It really depends on how personal your business is.

If you are a one man show, then there is no point of getting a domain business email. Most if not all of your clients will know they are communicating with you. They know you by name, not the business name.

It starts becoming an issue when you are dealing with multiple people handing the same email account, that's when you need to start to think about the communication strategy.
Directhosting Web Hosting
BigNames Domain Registration
Nov 6, 2015
459 posts
144 upvotes
Guelph, ON
eonibm wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 11:35 pm
Actually it shows that they are not wasting $100/year and are very business savvy.
Trying to save nickels and dimes on basic expenses doesn't strike me as business savvy. That kind of "savvy" is in the class of making your store front sign with cardboard and crayons - wow, look how much you saved on not getting a professional sign made! Except how many potential customers never walked in because it didn't look professional?
eonibm wrote:
I deal with tons of companies that use gmail as their business address and found it bears no relation to the quality of service. Any fool can pay for a domain name email. That doesn't guarantee anything, now does it?
I already said that it's no guarantee of quality. My point is if you haven't even made the same effort as "any fool" can that says something to me about the seriousness of your business.
eonibm wrote:
I use gmail for some of my businesses and no one bats an eye.
OK, maybe you are in one of those industries where it's more common (someone mentioned contractors). In general though I am looking for signs of "permanence" and "full-time" with people I deal with. Gmail says to me "might disappear any time" and "side gig from my real job".
eonibm wrote:
Anyway, you sure have an old-world view.
I've reviewed this thread and 10 people agree with me versus 3 on your side (the rest didn't really take a stand either way). Based on that, I'd say I have a current-world view and you are the minority.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10949 posts
2175 upvotes
JoeBlack23 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 1:56 am
Trying to save nickels and dimes on basic expenses doesn't strike me as business savvy. That kind of "savvy" is in the class of making your store front sign with cardboard and crayons - wow, look how much you saved on not getting a professional sign made! Except how many potential customers never walked in because it didn't look professional?
We're not talking about signs here...
JoeBlack23 wrote:
I already said that it's no guarantee of quality. My point is if you haven't even made the same effort as "any fool" can that says something to me about the seriousness of your business.
You entitled to your opinion but it makes no sense in this day and age to fret about what's after the at sign.
JoeBlack23 wrote:
OK, maybe you are in one of those industries where it's more common (someone mentioned contractors). In general though I am looking for signs of "permanence" and "full-time" with people I deal with. Gmail says to me "might disappear any time" and "side gig from my real job".
You need to re-align your thinking. This is the age of the internet.
JoeBlack23 wrote:
I've reviewed this thread and 10 people agree with me versus 3 on your side (the rest didn't really take a stand either way). Based on that, I'd say I have a current-world view and you are the minority.
Your control group is way too small to mean anything. Choosing those you deal with based on such an insignificant aspect of a business will result on you missing out on many great opportunities.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
3947 posts
481 upvotes
Zoho is free and supports up to 25 users. Easy to configure and they have apps on iOS and Android.
Feb 25, 2009
514 posts
98 upvotes
Montreal
If someone tries to contact me for a business purpose with his gmail, Hotmail, yahoo ... I will not answer. Almost of them want to be an anonymous user. Very few are serious (I got some at beginning)
It depends also what kind of business you provide.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6838 posts
539 upvotes
Toronto
Already beaten to death but it depends on business and source of traffic. If you're a word of mouth bricks & mortar place then your email addy means little to nothing. I know plenty of gmail users. If you're a 'happenin' internet kickstarter bistro named bazzaz then yeah you need all the brand and marketing help and gmail is a no-no.

Oh and yes, as mentioned Zoho is still FREE, all you need is your domain name ($12-$15 per year). It's a no brainer. And zoho email interface is a bit better these days, still a bit pants but almost usable.
Jan 15, 2013
256 posts
11 upvotes
Oakville
i have godaddy for domain but I have read that it not great for e-mail so which is the best one to use for email purposes?
Feb 25, 2009
514 posts
98 upvotes
Montreal
toshibaaa wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 8:13 pm
i have godaddy for domain but I have read that it not great for e-mail so which is the best one to use for email purposes?
I'm using Godaddy free email with the domain name. I found its email is very good, mail is very fast and it allows to forward to public mail like Yahoo. When someone send me email, I receive it instantaneously as with my Yahoo email I did the test with several other type mail servers) . I have had hosting with them but the server was down several times a day so I moved the hosting to a new ISP but still keep the email with them. I have tried to use mail server of my new hosting ISP but it's slower and do not allow to forward email to public mail. I have used Godaddy mail since 2009 till now, very happy with the performance. But now they increase the domain renew price so I think I will move my domains as well