Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Does it look bad to use a @gmail.com email address for your business?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 8:25 pm
Jun 6, 2006
222 posts
11 upvotes
Acton
Funny.. I had this very conversation with my wife last week. I was reading the local newspaper and it had an ad from a new store opening in town... a pretty cool place and he listed his email address and it was gmail. ....I immediately commented on how poor that looked.

Legitimacy is what comes to mind with emails not ending with your company. Lack of professionalism. Maybe low commitment. Even if you aren’t any of that ...it’s all about optics.
Dec 14, 2004
618 posts
21 upvotes
Waterloo
Like others I question the legitimacy and commitment to a business when someone's business email is no their own domain. One thing that hasn't been mentioned, which I can see as a bigger deal, is the investment in marketing that people make with one of these free email domains. Remember you are using this address in other promo whether it be business cards, car branding etc. What happens if one of these providers pulls the plug on their service? A few weeks ago I saw a fully wrapped car with an @rogers.com email address on it, which makes me cringe because they are now tied to using Rogers as their ISP unless they want to go through a rebranding exercise.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1467 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
Name your company Gmail. This way when you create a gmail acct it'll look professional! :)
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!