Students

Does it matter what school you attend?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 12:16 pm

Poll: Does it matter what undergrad school you attend?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Mar 6, 2015
224 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
how about colleges, between one out of five colleges in GTA: Centennial, George Brown, Humber, Sheridan, Seneca? Does it matter what school you attend?
Mar 18, 2015
829 posts
166 upvotes
Antarctica
gq_fuzion wrote:
Aug 16th, 2005 12:37 am
if you were an employer... would you rather hire someone who graduated from Lakehead University or University of Waterloo???

Nippissing or UofT????

UOIT or Queen's????

it does matter
If I am hiring devs? The ones from either one which have demonstrated a good breadth of skills and contributions to either personal or open source projects, and most importantly show a learning and humble attitude. I would take a Nipissing grad over a Queens/UofT one if the former showed any of those qualities and the latter banked on their school name alone.

Just one example, make whatever you want out of it. I have seen a family friend from UOIT take IT internships in a well known company right after first year. He has already made a lot of connections in his preferred industry simply because he's passionate in what he's pursuing and isn't afraid to make friends with pros in places he would want to work in.

I have seen engineering science grads from UofT go jobless and work at Tims for years. They were just wooed by the supposedly prestigious and hardest engineering program with little passion otherwise.

The only real contender out of all schools imo is Waterloo if you were going for tech or Ivey / Schulich for business related stuff.
Last edited by Crichtonfan on Aug 12th, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 18, 2015
829 posts
166 upvotes
Antarctica
cybercavalier wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 4:38 pm
how about colleges, between one out of five colleges in GTA: Centennial, George Brown, Humber, Sheridan, Seneca? Does it matter what school you attend?
I would say it only matters if the program is unique and has an industry connection / track record of getting placements for grads in program. Apart from that if you want to go to university aim for the program with clear bridge options.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
241 upvotes
hugh_da_man wrote:
Aug 15th, 2005 10:21 pm
I've actually noticed that I've gotten a better response from local employers than I do from employers in other provinces. I've been told by several HR people that they don't look at out of province resumes till they have gotten through the cream of the crop from their own province.

It's nice to have a degree from Waterloo but if you were doing engineering or some other standardized discipline then I don't think it matters that much. Most HR trust that the local schools turn out good students and they know what to expect from local grads.

Of course, 10 years down the road no one will care where you went or how you did.
Crichtonfan wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 6:42 pm
If I am hiring devs? The ones from either one which have demonstrated a good breadth of skills and contributions to either personal or open source projects, and most importantly show a learning and humble attitude. I would take a Nipissing grad over a Queens/UofT one if the former showed any of those qualities and the latter banked on their school name alone.

Just one example, make whatever you want out of it. I have seen a family friend from UOIT take IT internships in a well known company right after first year. He has already made a lot of connections in his preferred industry simply because he's passionate in what he's pursuing and isn't afraid to make friends with pros in places he would want to work in.

I have seen engineering science grads from UofT go jobless and work at Tims for years. They were just wooed by the supposedly prestigious and hardest engineering program with little passion otherwise.

The only real contender out of all schools imo is Waterloo if you were going for tech or Ivey / Schulich for business related stuff.
If you look at regional schools like BCIT and you do a Linkedin search, there are probably more BCIT grads at top tech companies than from most Canadian universities, including UofT.

As for as Ivey, it's pretty terrible. They try really hard to look a certain way that they're not "Ivey HBA" -- who you trying to fool? You're not ivy league, and you're not HBS. Stop trying so hard, it's embarassing. Any Tiger Moms actually falling for it? Because the top tech companies hiring PMs/Analysts aren't. If I were an international student, not in a million years. Waterloo is "elite" though.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Mar 6, 2015
224 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
This is only an information post.
ItzMe wrote: Oct 20th, 2004 11:18 am
Why the college if you don't want to do an MBA???
I know BCIT students who have received their Bachelor's degree and proceeded to complete SFU's specialized MOT (Masters of Technology?) under the MBA program there.
UBC flatly states that as long as the degree is a recognized 4 year degree from an accredited institution, they will accept it as the prerequisite degree to enter the MBA program. This implies (to me) that programs that grant degrees at various colleges should also be eligible (Capilano College, BCIT, Kwantlen, etc.) AFAIK BC doesn't offer 3 year degrees like Alberta & Ontario do.
I have no idea what the actual quality of the respective programs is...from what I've heard BCIT's is recognized in the BC workforce, and Capilano's while the most expensive of the lot is pretty decent...
No idea whether one has a better chance of post-grad employment coming from a college as opposed to a university though...but it's always an option especially since one would probably receive a good amount of transfer credit for course work already completed at SFU or wherever ...
basis wrote: Oct 20th, 2004 8:07 pm
Unfortunately, getting a degree from a college or technical institute is not the same as getting it from a University. The local universities like SFU and UBC may not discriminate between a another university or local college program. This is probably because there is heavy local pressure to make it look fair.
But that is not the case necessarily if you go to Alberta, Ontario, or the US. These out of province uninversities will look at grades, courses, professors, and recommendations. By not being a full fledged university they will probably discount the grades and professors since they do not know much about the educational institution. It's kind of like comparing the universities: Berkeley with Oregon. Both are public universities and both play in the Pac 10 but coming from Berkeley is much more difficult and has a higher reputation than Oregon. Both offer equivalent quality of teaching for a bachelors degree but Berkeley is still preferred over Oregon.

Technical 4 year degrees are different from 4 year university degrees, namely the technical degree is more on the applied side rather than on breadth of study including the Arts. The 4 year university-college degrees are closer to the regular university degrees however these institutions do not have the same reputation as the more older and established universities. It sounds a little snobbish but that it the way it is. Getting into a top graduate university in the US would be difficult if the US university never heard of the college or technical institute. In the US the differentiation is more pronounced than in Canada. If you come from a name-brand university you get more choices than if you come from a local college. In BC if you come from UBC you get a better chance at being accepted to a top US school than from UVic or SFU. When transferring courses to other provinces the tranferability of courses is benchmarked to UBC. UBC is the benchmarked university but it doesn't mean that the education you receive from UBC is any better.
As for getting a job in the local market I don't think the employers really care if you come from UBC, SFU, or BCIT. If you completed the degree that is good enough.
ItzMe wrote: Oct 20th, 2004 8:16 pm
I understand where your coming from, and have heard the same, UBC has an international reputation that local colleges just don't have, so one would find their prospects limited internationally I suppose...
I know one guy who is going to Capilano right now to do his degree - he chose it instead of UBC/SFU simply because Capilano maximized his existing diploma courses for transfer credit, and he can finish a degree there in 2 - 3 years compared to the 4+ it would take him at SFU/UBC - for him it was economics...
I suppose in that case he'd still be okay if he decided to goto UBC for an MBA - once he had that, he could still trade of UBC's name where necessary...I don't think he has designs on a US school for graduate studies at this point (they're *expensive!* !!!)... :)
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
241 upvotes
I understand where your coming from, and have heard the same, UBC has an international reputation that local colleges just don't have, so one would find their prospects limited internationally I suppose...
People keep on referring to UBC's "international reputation", but I'm not sure in what. Maybe in China and Hong Kong, but even there you're not beating out anyone in terms of brand if it's a westcoast school in the U.S. or ivy league.

If you ran an employment rate of UBC grads 1 year after graduation (full time work), it'd probably be pretty atrocious. It'd probably be well below regional schools like BCIT, Humber, Seneca, SAIT. A lot of UBC grads just end up unemployed in Vancouver living off their parents, then moving back to HK/China once their visa expires.

Yaletown's just a facade of yuppies that aren't actually professionals. Just well dressed hobos.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Aug 16, 2017
7 posts
3 upvotes
Everything depends on the person applying and the skills they possess. University doesn't matter 90-95% of the time. The other 5-10% of the time is when an employer is looking for someone from a particular program in a particular university. Like mentioned above, I know UofT engineering grads working crappy jobs in run of the mill companies and UOIT grads in spectacular roles. All depends on how hard the individual works and what they bring to the table.