Careers

Does McDonald's require 24/7 availability?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2017 11:01 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 10, 2017
35 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga

Does McDonald's require 24/7 availability?

Son started working in the summer at local McDonald's restaurant and likes working there. He has since started college and spoke with his manager regarding the shifts he would be scheduled.
It would be difficult to spend day at college which starts at 8 am, be scheduled overnight shift, 11 pm - 7 am., and in class again at 8 am. The manager has said that all employees must be available to work overnight shifts whenever they are scheduled.

Is there anyone that works at McDonald's that can verify this? If so, how do other students or single parent families work there if 24/7 availability is required?

Thanks in advance for any advice. My son doesn't want to quit but would prefer not working overnight shift while attending college full time.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4747 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
F-that. Your son should be able to get another mcjob when in school. What is the overnight premium...$1.60 an hour still? Not worth it since MW went from 6.85 to 11.75. That's why a lot of places are changing to non-24 hour stores.

The only students I lnow working overnights while in school they do security concierge so they sit there most of the night studying....and usually just the weekend shift.

Unless your son doesnt have a choice, I'd advise Jim to get out of there.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1141 posts
337 upvotes
New York City
I would suggest your son to apply for jobs on campus. They target students and work around student's schedule.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1804 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
McDonald's has mandatory of 24/7 on-Call requirement? Wow.
Oct 15, 2009
284 posts
114 upvotes
Email/Call Investor Relations or corporate asking this question and include the location (and store #) and managers name and see how fast this changes.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4747 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
raichu1 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:21 pm
I interpreted the OPs sons situation not on-call, just weekly availability for scheduled shifts.
curlyface wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 9:35 am
Email/Call Investor Relations or corporate asking this question and include the location (and store #) and managers name and see how fast this changes.
Perhaps, but I think there is more to this story...

OP, when your son was hired, what availability did he give? What did he say was his working plan when he was back in school? Was this graveyard shift expectation discussed upfront? I can understand both your sons and the manager's point of view. The manager has the headache of making sure the overnight availability is there which is probably hard to maintain. Being firm on these shifts upfront would be essential.

Its like someone applying to a restaurant and saying they only want to work M-F, 9-5 (which happens frequently).
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1916 posts
99 upvotes
Didn't they ask for his availability before hiring?
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2482 posts
417 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 6:57 pm
F-that. Your son should be able to get another mcjob when in school. What is the overnight premium...$1.60 an hour still? Not worth it since MW went from 6.85 to 11.75. That's why a lot of places are changing to non-24 hour stores.

The only students I lnow working overnights while in school they do security concierge so they sit there most of the night studying....and usually just the weekend shift.

Unless your son doesnt have a choice, I'd advise Jim to get out of there.
I hear this alot from friends and coworkers. Working night shift security in a low risk environment is highly beneficial to studying. No distractions, passes the time easier, and you won't have anything else to do or no one else to talk to other than your school work.

Same pay, less work, less stress (unless you're guarding a sketch building...)
[OP]
Aug 10, 2017
35 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga
I appreciate the responses to my original post.

As a follow up - my son took the job as a summer position but asked mid August to stay on part time during the school year. He had agreed to be scheduled for overnight shifts during the summer, but didn't think the rule would apply to students returning to school. Since he was told it was required he thought about quitting.

I tried calling the store multiple times. No answer and the mailbox was full so I couldn't leave a message. After a few days of not being able to contact by phone, I drove over and spoke with the manager.
Apparently there are dedicated overnight staff that work Sunday - Thursday. But all other staff must agree to working the occasional 11 pm - 7 am on Fridays and Saturdays. It is a stipulation of being employed there.

It is better that it will be only on weekends and not every weekend. But I can't help but wonder how single parent families or younger high school students can adhere to this.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2017
35 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga
raichu1 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:21 pm
Not on call, but must be available to be scheduled an overnight shift. 11 pm - 7 am.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2307 upvotes
Edmonton
pean42 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:03 pm
I appreciate the responses to my original post.

As a follow up - my son took the job as a summer position but asked mid August to stay on part time during the school year. He had agreed to be scheduled for overnight shifts during the summer, but didn't think the rule would apply to students returning to school. Since he was told it was required he thought about quitting.

I tried calling the store multiple times. No answer and the mailbox was full so I couldn't leave a message. After a few days of not being able to contact by phone, I drove over and spoke with the manager.
Apparently there are dedicated overnight staff that work Sunday - Thursday. But all other staff must agree to working the occasional 11 pm - 7 am on Fridays and Saturdays. It is a stipulation of being employed there.

It is better that it will be only on weekends and not every weekend. But I can't help but wonder how single parent families or younger high school students can adhere to this.
No offense, but... Your son is in college. Help him by providing direction, but let him do the legwork.

And it's McDonald's. If he doesn't like the working conditions, then find another job. Not giving up too much with that...

Just my $0.02 worth, as a father of two teens.

C
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4747 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:49 pm

No offense, but... Your son is in college. Help him by providing direction, but let him do the legwork.
This.

Some college kids are partying from 11pm to 7am. Some of them it doesn't affect their weekly schedule...sleep all morning and get on with their school week schedule on Monday like normal. For most of us here that are much older, those time schedule changes would kill us slowly. Its up to him, perhaps he can try and if he's getting back-to back graveyard shifts every Fri-Sat night he can reconsider.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2307 upvotes
Edmonton
No Frills wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:31 pm
This.

Some college kids are partying from 11pm to 7am. Some of them it doesn't affect their weekly schedule...sleep all morning and get on with their school week schedule on Monday like normal. For most of us here that are much older, those time schedule changes would kill us slowly. Its up to him, perhaps he can try and if he's getting back-to back graveyard shifts every Fri-Sat night he can reconsider.
I was referring more to the parent driving over to the location to talk to the manager on the son's behalf. If the kid was 16, ok. Kid's in college? Not unless it's something serious like a criminal situation (accused of theft, someone being sexually harassed, etc).

C
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2737 posts
297 upvotes
Ottawa
bhrm wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:54 am
I hear this alot from friends and coworkers. Working night shift security in a low risk environment is highly beneficial to studying. No distractions, passes the time easier, and you won't have anything else to do or no one else to talk to other than your school work.

Same pay, less work, less stress (unless you're guarding a sketch building...)
That's what I did in university (I watched security consoles). A lot of security companies even encourage it for their overnight guards (if you're studying you aren't sleeping...).
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1164 posts
191 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:49 pm

And it's McDonald's. If he doesn't like the working conditions, then find another job. Not giving up too much with that...

Just my $0.02 worth, as a father of two teens.

C
Beat me to the punch

We keep hearing these stories of helicopter parents and they seem unbelievable...And there you are admitting to it. Give him guidance, suggestions on how to handle things but to actually call the store and even worse drive down there...WOW!
Alex