Careers

Does McDonald's require 24/7 availability?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2017 11:01 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 10, 2017
16 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:38 pm
I was referring more to the parent driving over to the location to talk to the manager on the son's behalf. If the kid was 16, ok. Kid's in college? Not unless it's something serious like a criminal situation (accused of theft, someone being sexually harassed, etc).

C
I tried calling multiple times for 2 days. As mentioned above, the phone wasn't answered and I was unable to leave message due to the mailbox being full. The store is on my way home from work so I just stopped in.

Likely your 2 teens don't have a learning disability like mine does. If they did you might think and do things a little differently as I have had to for 17 years. He tried talking to the manager on 2 occasions - it was a new manager that he didn't know and was nervous. The manager thanked me for coming to discuss. She had wondered if perhaps she hadn't explained to him correctly. So that he understood the requirements. She also said that she was glad he didn't quit as he is a good worker.

Yes, finding another job is an option. A resume with a 2 month position though is often overlooked.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2017
16 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
sherman51 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:56 pm
Beat me to the punch

We keep hearing these stories of helicopter parents and they seem unbelievable...And there you are admitting to it. Give him guidance, suggestions on how to handle things but to actually call the store and even worse drive down there...WOW!
Please read my other post. As mentioned my son has a learning disability. Things might come easy to you but not to him. Thank your lucky stars that you aren't like that.

So call me a helicopter parent if you want. I am proud of how far he has come.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4633 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:38 pm
I was referring more to the parent driving over to the location to talk to the manager on the son's behalf. If the kid was 16, ok. Kid's in college? Not unless it's something serious like a criminal situation (accused of theft, someone being sexually harassed, etc).

C
Indeed I got what you meant and agree, I suppose my next point to OP was a different concept altogether rather than a follow up. That all might not matter now as the reason for the leg work was addressed.

If you talked to the manager and your son is a good worker, it's possible he may not get stuck with those shifts every week.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2011
2942 posts
287 upvotes
NORTH VANCOUVER
Only requirement for students or part timers is u must work min. 2 days either weekends or 1 weekend plus one closing shift weeknight.
Jan 14, 2010
493 posts
91 upvotes
OP, although I agree with others about not doing too much for your child (even with LD it's good to build resilience), I've had experience with McD's and understand your wish to intervene/assist.
In my experience, they do ask all students (even 15 yo's) to be available for overnights. Depending on the store, it's 1x/month, or possibly more frequently. That was a deal breaker for us, resulting in leaving employment there before one could be scheduled.
I also have experience with the frustration of trying to contact a McD's workplace. At the one we dealt with, the phone is rarely answered, messages (if you can leave one) are never returned. And calls/emails to head office (ie for payroll issues) are ignored. I thought maybe I had a particularly poor store example, however with your issues I think this inaccessibility for answering employee questions/concerns might be more a sign of what's the norm.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2347 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
Don't call head office.

Tweet them.
Social media = will get their attention, esp if you @cbcnews ect
[OP]
Aug 10, 2017
16 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
cocodc wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 8:02 pm
OP, although I agree with others about not doing too much for your child (even with LD it's good to build resilience), I've had experience with McD's and understand your wish to intervene/assist.
In my experience, they do ask all students (even 15 yo's) to be available for overnights. Depending on the store, it's 1x/month, or possibly more frequently. That was a deal breaker for us, resulting in leaving employment there before one could be scheduled.
I also have experience with the frustration of trying to contact a McD's workplace. At the one we dealt with, the phone is rarely answered, messages (if you can leave one) are never returned. And calls/emails to head office (ie for payroll issues) are ignored. I thought maybe I had a particularly poor store example, however with your issues I think this inaccessibility for answering employee questions/concerns might be more a sign of what's the norm.
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I have noticed also that a pay period has been skipped - he didn't receive a paycheque for one of the pay periods that he worked. He is going to address this on his next shift. Good to know that trying to contact the store via phone has happened to others as well.