Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
8747 posts
3105 upvotes
BC
SuperSauvage wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 2:38 pm
so we're both kinda right lol
Not really. You and the article were stating it as if the 18-month option paid $360-ish per week the whole period. That's the average, of course, but it's not the actual payment amount, which starts higher, and then drops lower.

This is wrong:
SuperSauvage wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 2:09 pm
so youd get 361/week for 18 months instead of 542/week for 12
You still get the max 55% amount for maternity and can judge if the paperwork was wrong based on that payment amount.
Last edited by ace604 on Jun 14th, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POLL: How many credit cards do you CARRY?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Jul 9, 2016
333 posts
104 upvotes
Hamilton
ace604 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 2:44 pm
Not really. You and the article were stating it as if the 18-month option paid $360-ish per week the whole period. That's the average, of course, but it's not the actual payment amount, which starts higher, and then drops lower.
That's why I said kinda lol. But averaging counts. If I make 50k in the first 6 months and then 0 in the next six months, I made 50k that year. We're splitting hairs here
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
8747 posts
3105 upvotes
BC
SuperSauvage wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 2:45 pm
That's why I said kinda lol. But averaging counts. If I make 50k in the first 6 months and then 0 in the next six months, I made 50k that year. We're splitting hairs here
No we aren't. See my edit above. You were trying to make a statement about judging if OT related paperwork would impact max payment by looking at what the weekly benefit amount was. That's 100% wrong for maternity leave. The max is still the old max.
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Jul 9, 2016
333 posts
104 upvotes
Hamilton
ace604 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 2:48 pm
No we aren't. See my edit above. You were trying to make a statement about judging if OT related paperwork would impact max payment by looking at what the weekly benefit amount was. That's 100% wrong for maternity leave. The max is still the old max.
You DON'T get the max of 55% for the whole 18 months though. That's the point. And talking about OT above, the OP asked if they would be in the maximum category because they made 60k including OT. I simply said yes they would be in the max category. How that max is divided up depends on if they take the 18 month (average of 360/week) or 12 month (542/week)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
8747 posts
3105 upvotes
BC
SuperSauvage wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 2:52 pm
You DON'T get the max of 55% for the whole 18 months though. That's the point. And talking about OT above, the OP asked if they would be in the maximum category because they made 60k including OT. I simply said yes they would be in the max category. How that max is divided up depends on if they take the 18 month (average of 360/week) or 12 month (542/week)
I didn't say you get 55% for 18 months.

That's NOT the point. The point was trying to assist OP in seeing if she is getting the max or not based on weekly payment amount.

You are trying to backtrack. You were right to start with, and then your addendum made it wrong:
SuperSauvage wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 1:41 pm
basically, if, after you recieve your assessment it ISN'T $543 weekly, then just call and state that you earned above the maximum amount and should be getting the maximum EI

[...]

BUT i just remembered that they changed/are changing the parental leave from 12 months to 18 months, so if you pick/take 18 months then you get the 55% still, but spread over 18 months instead of 12. so youd get 361/week for 18 months instead of 542/week for 12
You seem to have forgotten the reason you were posting weekly numbers was for OP to gauge if they were correctly getting the max. You posted the followup comment with the wrong number for this purpose.

Your original statement was all that was required to judge if the mat leave benefit was correct.

The $360-ish number will never appear as a payment amount for someone maxed out and is useless for the purposes of judging if one is maxed out.

The numbers to judge if one is maxed out are the $543 number for mat leave, and $543 or $325-ish(?) for parental leave depending on if 35 or 61 weeks.
Last edited by ace604 on Jun 14th, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 9, 2016
333 posts
104 upvotes
Hamilton
ace604 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 3:02 pm
You are trying to backtrack. You were right to start with, and then your addendum made it wrong:

You seem to have forgotten the reason you were posting weekly numbers was for OP to gauge if they were correctly getting the max. You posted the followup comment with the wrong number for this purpose.

Your original statement was all that was required to judge if the mat leave benefit was correct.

The $360-ish number will never appear as a payment amount for someone maxed out and is useless for the purposes of judging if one is maxed out.

The numbers to judge if one is maxed out are the $543 number for mat leave, and $543 or $325-ish(?) for parental leave depending on if 35 or 61 weeks.
Haha gotcha. I'll let you have this one. *bows in acquiescence*
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
8747 posts
3105 upvotes
BC
SuperSauvage wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 3:04 pm
Haha gotcha. I'll let you have this one. *bows in acquiescence*
Another EDIT above after you quoted :)

You are too quick to reply or I am too slow to edit :)

Now we're on same page. Nothing you said on its own is blatantly wrong and ya, averages are all good and whatever ... but the point was specific $-amounts to help OP judge "am I getting max as I should be?"

:-)
[OP]
Jun 18, 2005
428 posts
10 upvotes
Courtice
Thanks guys! Just glad to know to expect 1800-2000 a month
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13167 posts
3016 upvotes
Ottawa
Trix77 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 4:05 pm
Thanks guys! Just glad to know to expect 1800-2000 a month
Congrats and hope you have a good delivery and healthy baby.
[OP]
Jun 18, 2005
428 posts
10 upvotes
Courtice
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 4:15 pm
Congrats and hope you have a good delivery and healthy baby.
Thanks! He was born on June 7th actually. Delaying my leave to time up when I go back just as my girlfriend finishes that year of schooling.
Dec 21, 2007
266 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
Don't forget you also pay income tax on what EI pays out.
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Jul 9, 2016
333 posts
104 upvotes
Hamilton
Conundrum1911 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 3:02 pm
Don't forget you also pay income tax on what EI pays out.
you don't really, not that i know of anyway. perhaps at tax time? but definitely not as a deduction off the benefit weekly amount
Mar 10, 2010
825 posts
81 upvotes
SuperSauvage wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 5:30 pm
you don't really, not that i know of anyway. perhaps at tax time? but definitely not as a deduction off the benefit weekly amount
Income tax is deducted from each EI payment and you are issued a T4E at the end of the year which reflects the amount of income tax you paid on your EI.
Jul 9, 2016
333 posts
104 upvotes
Hamilton
Clacker wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 8:53 pm
Income tax is deducted from each EI payment and you are issued a T4E at the end of the year which reflects the amount of income tax you paid on your EI.
yes but the income tax deducted from the paycheques is like $1, its super low and not representative of what the income tax deducted for a similar non-ei cheque would be