Site Comments & Suggestions

Does RFD ban deal threads from companies previously engaging in fraud?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2017 10:21 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1394 upvotes
Richmond

Does RFD ban deal threads from companies previously engaging in fraud?

Tomtop is a Chinese supplier that appears occasionally in deal threads here, but in their most recent thread they sold a fraudulently-labeled product and have refused to respond to RFD members who purchased it. See thread http://forums.redflagdeals.com/tomtop-2 ... d-2131015/

Should they not be banned from future deal threads on RFD to prevent members being subject to fraud? Does RFD have any policy about this? Would RFD contact the company and ask them to explain why they shouldn't be banned?

Or maybe RFD needs a supplier rating system. That would be more valuable than the post upvote/downvote system. Rather than waiting a day for votes to build up on an individual deal thread, people could read immediately that supplier Tomtop has previously been downrated for fraud by 50 votes on RFD.
5 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8488 posts
12857 upvotes
Scarborough
We have a retailer black list but that's more so for those caught self promoting or recruiting shills. I don't think we've added any retailers to the black list for fraud but this is definitely something we can consider. I'll take a closer read through of that thread and then see what I can do. Maybe I can convince them to do the right thing here.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1394 upvotes
Richmond
Tomtop has begun to issue full refunds, although somewhat grudgingly and after a lot of back-and-forth.

However they are still offering the fraudulent product for sale, with slightly altered specs that are still false. In the end I'd give them a "D" grade rather than an "F". But I would certainly advise any RFDers not to buy from them.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1216 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
Faith24 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:21 pm
Tomtop has begun to issue full refunds, although somewhat grudgingly and after a lot of back-and-forth.

However they are still offering the fraudulent product for sale, with slightly altered specs that are still false. In the end I'd give them a "D" grade rather than an "F". But I would certainly advise any RFDers not to buy from them.
I think many of us also recall the LG G5 Ebay thread where the seller (buyspry) was fraudulently selling as unlocked and brand new (sealed).

Sometimes its best to wait out information and make a wise choice. Jumping on deals has an inherent risk. More people tend to jump on the Tomtop devices because it's not a lot of money they'd be losing.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
You have to be extremely careful on Ebay and with 3rd party Amazon sellers when the item is not fulfilled by Amazon. Buyer beware. If it looks too good to be true it's usually a scam.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8488 posts
12857 upvotes
Scarborough
Faith24 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 12:21 pm

I emailed them and encouraged them to do the right thing. I'll check back in a week to see what the latest news is. If they aren't cooperating and continue to sell fraudulent items we'll put a stop to their deals on RFD.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].