Does Rogers Outrank Bell in ISP Speed?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2014 11:40 am
[OP]
Nov 18, 2007
42 posts
Toronto

Does Rogers Outrank Bell in ISP Speed?

I'm a Rogers customer, and I'm a little concerned. We don't have netflix, and I would have thought Rogers outrank Bell and Telus, but I've been reading about how Rogers ranked last in speeds, and wondering if it's going to be enough for us to sign up to netflix with.
90 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1942 posts
334 upvotes
For Netflix anything "high-speed" plan will do. HD is another story.

Your main concern will be is if your cap is enough.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2640 upvotes
Vancouver
This is the Netflix blog post with the updated numbers for May: http://blog.netflix.com/2014/06/netflix ... r-may.html

Canada was just added in April. The May blog post shows +/- changes from April.

It's not entirely clear how these numbers are derived, although one might assume that it's the average sustained streaming speed that the Netflix client apps negotiate interactively with the Netflix cloud servers for each ISP. But it's all part of the net-neutrality dispute that Netflix is having with the ISPs (see for example http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/09 ... down_spat/).

Here's what I know from my own use of Netflix, based on the test clips that Netflix provides and the newer client apps that display the negotiated speed when playing a test clip:
- Streaming "medium" quality uses about 1.5 Mbps
- Streaming "high" quality uses about 5.5 Mbps
- Using Shaw 10 Mbps internet service (and formerly 7.5 Mbps), I've never seen any slowdown while streaming Netflix, and there's no reason why I should

So what's up with the published Netflix numbers? Well, if they're really based on on the negotiated client speeds, I wonder if they're including people who are deliberately streaming medium quality to keep the monthly data usage below their cap? Or including wireless mobile WiFi devices like tablets that may run slower? Or mixing people who have slow 1.5 Mbps or 2.5 Mbps internet service (still common in the U.S.) with people who have 150 Mbps service from the same ISP? If so, the numbers may not mean much.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
4281 posts
909 upvotes
Space
Pretty sure videotron uses the rogers network, and it's twice as fast? I wouldn't put too much stock in those findings. Probably funded by Bell anyway lol. I have Rogers 35/2 and it runs netflix in SuperHD without issue.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9143 posts
609 upvotes
Speed varies greatly depending on where you live. Some areas Rogers is faster, some areas Bell is faster, some areas Telus is faster, etc... but everyone advertises they are the fastest.
walker2238 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2014 3:23 pm
For Netflix anything "high-speed" plan will do. HD is another story.

Your main concern will be is if your cap is enough.
I agree with this. Unless you live out in the middle of no where, you should be able to get high enough speed... cap becomes more of an issue.
Apr 23, 2006
89 posts
19 upvotes
North York
Every broadband provider can handle Netflix, it's just a matter of how much information it can get to your TV in a given amount of time; the differences are differences of degree, not capacity vs. incapacity.

You know how you sometimes had to pause videos to let them load? It's like that.

Slower connections will have to lower the visual quality, because video files are big, but any proper broadband company including Rogers can handle Netflix.

You can check your internet speeds on your own computer pretty easily from online sites like http://www.speedtest.net
wayt wrote:
Jun 10th, 2014 3:14 pm
I'm a Rogers customer, and I'm a little concerned. We don't have netflix, and I would have thought Rogers outrank Bell and Telus, but I've been reading about how Rogers ranked last in speeds, and wondering if it's going to be enough for us to sign up to netflix with.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8342 posts
2499 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure why this would be an issue since you have absolutely nothing to lose with the free 1 month trial. Sign up and test drive the crap out of it with every quality available.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Apr 23, 2006
89 posts
19 upvotes
North York
+1 This, so long as you have unlimited bandwidth and "going crazy" on it won't ding you with overage fees.
Cas77 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2014 12:59 pm
Not sure why this would be an issue since you have absolutely nothing to lose with the free 1 month trial. Sign up and test drive the crap out of it with every quality available.
Sep 28, 2010
13 posts
I tried the Rogers Speed Test - it's a pretty handy tool.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal ... speedcheck

It'll give you a visual of your download/upload speeds, and explain any issues you might see. When I ran my own speed test, I got something a little lower than I expected, and some latency issues, but that's likely because I have so many things running in the background.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1942 posts
334 upvotes
rand486 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2014 8:02 pm
I tried the Rogers Speed Test - it's a pretty handy tool.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal ... speedcheck

It'll give you a visual of your download/upload speeds, and explain any issues you might see. When I ran my own speed test, I got something a little lower than I expected, and some latency issues, but that's likely because I have so many things running in the background.
Speedtests won't give you accurate speeds for Netflix though.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1429 upvotes
Pickering
wayt wrote:
Jun 10th, 2014 3:14 pm
You'd be better off asking who has any problem with Netflix and if they do what is their package and provider. I haven't seen anybody complain about netflix through any provider.
Aug 9, 2010
789 posts
139 upvotes
Waterloo
Rogers customer here. No issues with Netflix (or Hulu through VPN for that matter).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6014 posts
1702 upvotes
Toronto
I can't tell for video, but I use my line to remote in to work a lot. Used both Bell and Rogers at the same location through their free trial period, Bell feels a bit smoother than Rogers.
Sep 28, 2010
13 posts
Sometimes, I wonder why we even have to ask these kinds of questions... didn't Canada used to have the best, cheapest broadband in the world at one point? What happened? :(
× < >