• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 1:35 pm
[OP]
Oct 29, 2008
410 posts
128 upvotes
L4J

Does someone use Dual Sim Card Adapter?

Received one but looks like Fido/Freedom is not recognizable pair.
Does it work for GSM only?
12 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11754 posts
1239 upvotes
Kanata
Got a picture of what you're talking about? Just to make sure it is the same as what I am thinking?
[OP]
Oct 29, 2008
410 posts
128 upvotes
L4J

Similar like this, but the phone is Note 4
Jan 13, 2014
843 posts
249 upvotes
Calgary
While I've never seen these before, I can say you wouldn't be able to use both SIM cards at the same time since the phone's software wouldn't have support for dual SIM. You'd need to use the SIM Toolkit app on your phone to manually switch when you wanted to.

That said, as long as you're sticking to 3G (HSPA), I don't see why that shouldn't be possible. The Note 4 SM-N910W8 did support the 3G bands used for Freedom & Fido (and the other carriers). You'd also want to make sure APN settings are entered for both SIMs and that you're selecting the right one based on which SIM is active.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2008
410 posts
128 upvotes
L4J
The description says special card IC design compatible with all GSM mobile phone.
Freedom is AWS not GSM and I'm suspecting the adapter doesn't work with Freedom but I don't have another GSM provider's sim right now.

Just asked may be someone knows.
Jan 13, 2014
843 posts
249 upvotes
Calgary
AWS is a frequency band - GSM is a standard for cellular communications (technically 2G).

If you put both SIM cards in, does your Fido one still work? What happens when you actually try to swap it to the Freedom SIM in the SIM Toolkit app? (assuming that's how you swap the SIM cards)
[OP]
Oct 29, 2008
410 posts
128 upvotes
L4J
Devhux wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:01 am
... What happens when you actually try to swap it to the Freedom SIM in the SIM Toolkit app? (assuming that's how you swap the SIM cards)
It doesn't recognize HOME network.
Oct 29, 2016
258 posts
79 upvotes
I bought the PIECE device last year
https://www.piece4sim.com/
You put your main talk/text line in PIECE and a data sim in your phone.
You then bluetooth to PIECE and have to use their app to message and call.

I dont really recommend it, the app is really buggy
Jan 13, 2014
843 posts
249 upvotes
Calgary
St.Genis wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:25 am
It doesn't recognize HOME network.
Just to make certain it isn't a phone setting, if you put your Freedom SIM in the phone by itself it works fine, right?
[OP]
Oct 29, 2008
410 posts
128 upvotes
L4J
Yes, it's. Working as a charm. I would like to check the same with Note 3 but by evening. It's working right now with Freedom.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2008
410 posts
128 upvotes
L4J
Tested with Public Mobile sim. Works.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2323 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
My brother in law uses one of these on his dual sim phone. Reason is most phones have the second sim slot shared with a micro SD slot so by default its one or the other.

Are you using this on a single SIM phone? How's it work? How does the software recognize it?
[OP]
Oct 29, 2008
410 posts
128 upvotes
L4J
Yes, I'm using the adapter on a single SIM phone.
When you insert the adapter, the phone recognizes SIM1 immediately after start and Q-Sim apps appears in the phone apps list.
To switch between sims you have to use Q-Sim apps