Shopping Discussion

Does Staples warranty track serial number?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2013 10:54 am
Tags:
None
Jul 14, 2013
1 posts
TORONTO

Does Staples warranty track serial number?

My stepson broke my wife's tablet (Nexus 7), her's was bought at Best Buy. I had bought my son the same tablet but from Staples and opted for the replacement warranty since he's a klutz.

What's to prevent me from returning the dead unit to Staples?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1845 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver
rabbitus wrote: My stepson broke my wife's tablet (Nexus 7), her's was bought at Best Buy. I had bought my son the same tablet but from Staples and opted for the replacement warranty since he's a klutz.

Probably the enormous amount of shaming that is about to occur in this thread :facepalm:

GYR8
Feb 9, 2011
883 posts
131 upvotes
Montr
Yes they do, and if you try its called fraud
Jan 17, 2013
153 posts
34 upvotes
White Rock
reported OP for fraud

gl in jail

dont drop the soap
:cheesygri
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4311 posts
443 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
Did you mean "return" or "exchange"?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
rabbitus wrote: My stepson broke my wife's tablet (Nexus 7), her's was bought at Best Buy. I had bought my son the same tablet but from Staples and opted for the replacement warranty since he's a klutz.

The fact it's a criminal act. Yes, they do track the serial numbers. You're not really thinking you're the first person to have thought of this wonderfully creative method to cheat the system, are you?
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
Personal ethics should be enough to stop you from doing this but they track serial numbers for situations like this when their customers are somewhat lacking in the ethics department. Also it is illegal.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
3209 posts
1742 upvotes
Markham

They do not take in the serial number when you buy. Though they do take in the serial when you bring it in for warranty, so the warranty will be permanently for your wifes once you take it in.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3261 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cloakster wrote: They do not take in the serial number when you buy. Though they do take in the serial when you bring it in for warranty, so the warranty will be permanently for your wifes once you take it in.
No. If you purchased extended warranty it's tied to the serial number which is done at point of purchase.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
As expected, RFD morality police don't disappoint.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
3209 posts
1742 upvotes
Markham
Chrispy wrote: No. If you purchased extended warranty it's tied to the serial number which is done at point of purchase.
For a device like a Nexus 7, does it make the staples employee scan in the serial number? I know at BB and FS it does not.
Dec 17, 2006
65 posts
66 upvotes
Abbotsford
Staples definitely does track serial numbers. I tried to return an external hard drive last year and the serial number of the drive didn't match the serial number on the (sealed) box. For some stupid reason, turns out that WD numbered the boxed "set" different than the actual drive - but I only found that out after Staples made me feel like a criminal. (I had to get the info from WD myself - Staples couldn't be bothered to look it up themselves.)
Staghorn Bob
Fraser Valley, BC
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3261 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cloakster wrote: For a device like a Nexus 7, does it make the staples employee scan in the serial number? I know at BB and FS it does not.
As a previous FS/BB employee, yes it does. When you are activating a PSP/PRP/PEP of any sort it requires the additional information.

For regular purchases, no, it doesn't track them. Only on certain products like computers.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)