None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12833 posts
1641 upvotes
Toronto

Does this subwoofer exist for a car?

I just need a subwoofer with a built in amplifier for the car that should be compact, fit under the seat of a car, should connect to the subwoofer aux output from my head unit and must have a knob on the subwoofer to adjust the bass and cut off frequency..

honestly, it doesnt even need to be a loud sub.. Just something that can give out bass comparable to a crappy 300 watt home theatre in a box sub..
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5855 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
My friend has this in his racecar. It actually sounds decent if you just want that extra low end. If you turn it up, for obvious reasons, you get boomy bottoming out muffled sound because of it's slim nature.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_441 ... S1400.html
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12833 posts
1641 upvotes
Toronto
Well, the thing is, i don't want the sub in my hatch trunk because I need all the room I can get for transporting things. Honestly the hatchback has a pretty small trunk.. Also my car is falling apart so a bigger subwoofer will just speed up the process..

I have a couple of questions..

I have heated vents underneath the driver and front passenger seats, would these subs allow room for the air to flow?
Also, if the bass on my system is almost non existent at medium volume, could this subwoofer actually jack up the volume on the bass without sounding distorted at this volume level?

The reason why I ask is because if I do turn on the bass on my head unit, it will automatically add more mids, and the sound and bass will be muffled. If i decrease the bass and add more treble, the sound is better, but there is much less bass. I was hoping an external sub can compensate for this.

btw thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm going to try the bazooka that steve mentioned. Seems very easy to install and can be purchased locally. I'll try to place it somewhere in the trunk with some velcro straps.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12075 posts
1558 upvotes
Kanata
trixstar wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 8:51 pm
Well, the thing is, i don't want the sub in my hatch trunk because I need all the room I can get for transporting things. Honestly the hatchback has a pretty small trunk.. Also my car is falling apart so a bigger subwoofer will just speed up the process..

I have heated vents underneath the driver and front passenger seats, would these subs allow room for the air to flow?
Also, if the bass on my system is almost non existent at medium volume, could this subwoofer actually jack up the volume on the bass without sounding distorted at this volume level?

The reason why I ask is because if I do turn on the bass on my head unit, it will automatically add more mids, and the sound and bass will be muffled. If i decrease the bass and add more treble, the sound is better, but there is much less bass. I was hoping an external sub can compensate for this.
No, I doubt these would actually install in the space under your seat now knowing you have heat vents under there.
Maybe you should consider getting a tweeter/midbass combo with a proper amp, if you're hurting for space.
The other thing you could consider is to put a small woofer in the spare tire area.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5855 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
trixstar wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 8:51 pm

btw thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm going to try the bazooka that steve mentioned. Seems very easy to install and can be purchased locally. I'll try to place it somewhere in the trunk with some velcro straps.
If you put the slim line subs, air will still be able to flow. It'll find it's way to vent some how. It won't block anything.
I've driven friends cars with like literally trash shoved under the seats, water bottles, plastic bags, stuff which actually do a better job at blocking the vents. Their racecar never blew up.

Yes, a subwoofer will add the extra bass you're missing.

If you're concerned about space, the bazooka is still pretty large.

You're better off ordering the slim sub and put that in the trunk. It comes with velcro under it so it sticks.
You can also place things on top of it because it has a grill without affecting performance.
I think the slim sub will be your best bet for space.
M-e-X-x wrote:
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5766 posts
460 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
I'm interested in this as well.
--
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14947 posts
1913 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Will keep an eye on this thread... I always wanted a simple cheapy sub setup, so I've been looking at the bazookas with the built in amps. Further realization brought me to the same conclusion as OP... The bazooka or any other sub box would take up a lot room from my limited space in trunk.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5855 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Matrixvibe wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:26 am
Will keep an eye on this thread... I always wanted a simple cheapy sub setup, so I've been looking at the bazookas with the built in amps. Further realization brought me to the same conclusion as OP... The bazooka or any other sub box would take up a lot room from my limited space in trunk.
Get the flat wun.

I poor man sub in my racecar. I put my Logitech Z-680's in the car. Works so well. The trunk is an excellent enclosure itself with the sub, and it sounds very naise.
M-e-X-x wrote:
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14947 posts
1913 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
kay188 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:55 am
Get the flat wun.

I poor man sub in my racecar. I put my Logitech Z-680's in the car. Works so well. The trunk is an excellent enclosure itself with the sub, and it sounds very naise.
You wired to head unit? das bauss.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5855 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Matrixvibe wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 1:43 am
You wired to head unit? das bauss.
No mang. Power inverter powers control pod. Poor man's AUX input because I spend all the $$$ on the racecar performance.
M-e-X-x wrote:
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12833 posts
1641 upvotes
Toronto
Ok so i bought the bazooka BT8100 at futureshop earlier in the afternoon and did the install which took me about an hour, I had to use the "posi-tap" connectors it came with to tap into the speaker wires behind my deck. The positap connectors are really crappy. half of them cracked when i used it. Overall, there is a substantial improvement in bass. It's set at a quarter of it's power and its already very overwhelming! The low's are great for a subwoofer it's size, but the sound can't be compared to an actual sub in a box with an amp. There is no adjustable crossover knob so if you're head unit is pumping out mostly treble, then you're going to have really low bass and high trebles. The mids and mid bass will be missing and sound awkward. Overall, I'm impressed with this subwoofer so far due to the size and price. It's definitely not for the audiophiles and if you're looking for "rich" and smooth bass, this isn't the one for you. This will give you hard boomy bass like at the clubs.

I might returning it, the bass is too boomy and unnatural. I like my bass rich and smooth
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5855 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
You can't have space saving + rich and smooth bass.

I thought I was pretty banging with a Logitech Z-680 8" in my room. It does go very loud though.

I upgraded to 2 Infinity 8" HT subs, which are much larger than the Z-680, however the size doesn't bother me because I gain that rich smooth bass and lose the boomyness and SPL at the cost of size.
M-e-X-x wrote:
My HEATWARE
100% Positive